The awarding of medals by the Axis Powers [during and after the war] c/w the Allies

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Matlock1418

The awarding of medals by the Axis Powers [during and after the war] c/w the Allies

Post by Matlock1418 » 12 Jul 2020, 18:18

WW2 = Given the different circumstances of the involved countries during, and at the end of/after, the 1939-45 war I am interested to learn about how the Axis Powers addressed the matter of issuing medals for the war [gallantry and war] - and to compare their approach(es) with the Allies [who seemingly had a much freer opportunity to issue them] especially after the war.
Gallantry medals certainly do seem to have been awarded by most during the war - but after hostilities?
And what about ‘war’ medals?
I suppose the different types of end of the war [Armistice -v- unconditional surrender], type & duration of any period of subsequent occupation and any official & public inclination and ability to recognise the war [compared with and/or to celebrate victory] are likely to have been major factors.
Query really relates to official medals - but I understand that perhaps unofficial medals were sometime worn too by veterans [??]
So would like to discover more.
I look forward to hearing from you with your observations
M

R Leonard

Re: The awarding of medals by the Axis Powers [during and after the war] c/w the Allies

Post by R Leonard » 12 Jul 2020, 20:33

The USN was awarding decorations from the war years well into the late 1940's. You can find abundant mentions of same in the BuPers publication "All Hands." See, for example, January 1949 issue, page 56
https://media.defense.gov/2019/Apr/10/2 ... 194901.pdf

All the 1940s issues can be found here
https://allhands.navy.mil/Media/Archive ... x?id=18811

I have a picture in my files from a VF-17A squadron inspection circa 1949 were a couple of officers, not a clue who they are, are being decorated with DFCs.

My father, as another example, did not get his last of 6 air medals until 4 June 1948 and that one was for action in the Lae-Salamaua raid of 10 March 1942, though not the actual medal itself, just the star in lieu of.

Matlock1418

Re: The awarding of medals by the Axis Powers [during and after the war] c/w the Allies

Post by Matlock1418 » 13 Jul 2020, 10:41

"The USN was awarding decorations from the war years well into the late 1940's" ....
Thank you RL for your reply which has got my very first post/thread nicely underway here - An interesting US insight.

I am particularly interested in the Axis Powers' position(s)
Until very recently I thought that after WW1 the Central Powers would have been rather disinterested and/or restricted in their award and/or wearing of medals - but it seems I was very wrong and Germany at least had a great interest in medals with whole plethora of them [commonly associated with the various states pre-Weimar Republic it seems] and in their wearing
So what about during and especially after the war for the Axis Powers?
:-) M

R Leonard

Post by R Leonard » 13 Jul 2020, 18:41

I gathered you were focusing on Axis awards. My post was just ". . . to compare their approach(es) with the Allies [who seemingly had a much freer opportunity to issue them] especially after the war." Glad you recognized it for what it was. I'm afraid Axis type awards are a little out of my field. I've seen where Bundeswher officers wore awards postwar, less the forbidden iconography, but I'm sure you knew that.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 13 Jul 2020, 20:41

My grandfathers younger brother was awarded an “italian cross of some sort” for action in 1941. A similar cross for action in 1942 was given to his mother postwar. He was KIA in 1942 and as far as I know he served on the Lupo.

I’m sorry but that’s all I can supply of info right now but I believe both were proudly displayed, side by side. I have a copy of the postwar certificate somewhere and it describes his “last heroic action” in 1942 as a torpedo operator on a “Torpediniera“. No other names are mentioned on the certificate besides his.

Waleed

Mikko H.

Post by Mikko H. » 13 Aug 2020, 18:36

Finns kept awarding soldiers well after the war if their deeds for some reasons went unrewarded during it (I guess it's still possible). IIRC there was a case in the 1980s or 90s where a military surgeon, who was taken POW by the Soviets, was awarded for caring for his fellow POWs. The former POWs petitioned the government to recognize his merits and the surgeon was duly given a medal.

Return to “Axis Awards”