Help with collection - all genuine? + Young people do collect!

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
the_truepatriot

Help with collection - all genuine? + Young people do collect!

Post by the_truepatriot » 03 Jan 2021, 06:07

Hi everybody,

I wanted to make this post for help to confirm and assure me my pieces all look in good order and are not replica's at all.

I am 23 year olds and have seen people remark that this hobby may die with new generations due to political correctness, I want to prove that is not always the case. I love history and preserving third reich antiques and awards is very important.

Anyway feel free to view my collection so far and if you do suspect anything look's odd then just comment, be good to know.

If not happy 2021 and good luck all building their collections. :D

Some notes about my below items and a list of what is there:

Iron Cross 2nd class - this is maker marked "3" for Wilhelm Deumer however it is non magnetic. Do not think this is an issue as some were made of brass and as I understand just because it is not magnetic does not mean it is not genuine. I do not think it is a schinkel variant either. Again I am not expert so could be wrong.

Cased social welfare award by Godet 3rd class - Lovely award look's genuine to me all in all and the case in great condition.

Cased mothers cross in gold - Again case in good condition with maker mark. Medal seems to be a lovely example.

War merit cross with swords - I am worried this may not be genuine just because they are so cheap and I imagine easy to replicate? although nothing stands out. Tidy example but non maker marked ( not uncommon to be unmarked.)

25 Year faithful service award - Nice award.

4 Year Army long service award - stunning example the finish still gleams nicely. Makes me a bit sceptical though but again the quality of the eagle etc all look genuine.

Cased order of the German Eagle 1st class with swords by Godet - I have identified this award as a Godet version after studying the eagles etc. Hopefully I am correct. The enamel has been touched up on one side due to pins from swords being added afterwards ( antique dealer stated this, not sure if this is a worry or red flag.) Nevertheless box and order looks good and quite a rare find, my best piece by far.

Photos below:
Attachments
Capture 4.JPG
Capture 3.JPG
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 1.JPG

the_truepatriot

Re: Help with collection - all genuine? + Young people do collect!

Post by the_truepatriot » 03 Jan 2021, 06:08

Eagle order
Attachments
Capture 9.JPG
Capture 8.JPG
Capture 7.JPG
Capture 6.JPG
Capture 5.JPG

the_truepatriot

Post by the_truepatriot » 03 Jan 2021, 06:09

Social welfare award 3rd class
Attachments
Capture 14.JPG
Capture 14.JPG (65.25 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
Capture 13.JPG
Capture 13.JPG (54.99 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
Capture 12.JPG
Capture 12.JPG (91.24 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
Capture 11.JPG
Capture 10.JPG
Capture 10.JPG (51.23 KiB) Viewed 9491 times

the_truepatriot

Post by the_truepatriot » 03 Jan 2021, 06:10

Iron cross II class + 4 year army service award.
Attachments
Capture 15.JPG
Capture 15.JPG (69.54 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
Capture 18.JPG
Capture 17.JPG
Capture 17.JPG (63 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
Capture 16.JPG
Capture 16.JPG (67.54 KiB) Viewed 9491 times

the_truepatriot

Post by the_truepatriot » 03 Jan 2021, 06:11

War merit cross 2nd class with swords + 25 year faithful service award
Attachments
Capture 22.JPG
Capture 21.JPG
Capture 20.JPG
Capture 19.JPG

FreemanOrrin1942

Post by FreemanOrrin1942 » 15 Jan 2021, 01:26

I am too a young collector only 19 and I love to see fellow enthusiasts, history is so misunderstood its so sad, nice collection.

Cal
"Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." - General Omar N. Bradley

the_truepatriot

Post by the_truepatriot » 18 Jan 2021, 04:58

I agree 100%! Good luck for this year Cal. Nice to see someone of a similar age interested too. Take care! :thumbsup:

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 18 Jan 2021, 17:49

The Eagle Order some times has a break on the reverse where the the pin for the swords is located. This is because the enamel at this point is thin, a small movemen in the the swords, which can be due to shrinckish causes the the enamel to "flake". The case causes interest, I have never seen the Political Eagle looking to the right on a case. The normal is too the right. The leather is slightly stippled it should be smooth.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 18 Jan 2021, 19:34

Collecting "heritage" is nice...

As a young boy in the 1960s, there was a lot left over from the grandfather, a former "Arbeitsführer" (Major) in the former RAD.
My mother threw most of all this away in the late 1960s, she was "sick" about all the the "terribble" old stuff.
Cabinets full of hand tailored RAD uniforms ended in the junk, to my mother, this was "Alter Mist". ("Old Junk")

My grandmother did not like the behavior of her daughter at all, she ordered a man to "save" many cardboard boxes.
boxes full of material, photos, documents, old and very old letters, whatever you imagine...

Decades later, my grandmother told me; Michael, I knew already back then, that some day, someone like you will be very interested
in all this. Grandmother was very right.

The worst part of all this, several thousand glass negatives from my great grandfather Heinrich-Christian were destroyed back then.
Heinrich-Christian was a professional photographer for decades, all this is lost...

Heritage...

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “Axis Awards”