Japan SDF: Could WW2 Vets Wear WW2 medals?

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Carney

Japan SDF: Could WW2 Vets Wear WW2 medals?

Post by Carney » 15 Jul 2022, 00:50

I know that the [West] German Bundeswehr allows WW2 veterans to wear their WW2 medals, as long as they are of an approved 1957 design shorn of the swastika, and as long as those medals are not Nazi Party political medals or military medals honoring occupation duty over other countries.

Hence you had West German military men in NATO wearing medals commemorating their fight against the very nations they were now serving side-by-side with.

Did Japan do this? Could Ground Self-Defense Force veterans of the Imperial Japanese Army wear medals from World War 2 or earlier? Could Maritime Self-Defense Force veterans of the Imperial Japanese Navy wear their medals from WW2 or earlier?

This seems to be a useful list of such medals:
https://www.identifymedals.com/medals-d ... rom-japan/

Takao

Re: Japan SDF: Could WW2 Vets Wear WW2 medals?

Post by Takao » 15 Jul 2022, 11:47

Yes, they could. However, the Imperial Japanese military never had many medals to issue. This was done, because when the Self Defense Forces were created, they had no medals to issue.

James A Pratt III

Re: Japan SDF: Could WW2 Vets Wear WW2 medals?

Post by James A Pratt III » 01 Aug 2022, 17:59

I have seen a number of pictures of WW II era IJA and IJN officers wearing medals so I would say the post war JSDF officers would be wearing them.

Return to “Axis Awards”