Thoughts on these Oakleaves and Swords

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Oldtowzer

Thoughts on these Oakleaves and Swords

Post by Oldtowzer » 30 Aug 2022 20:24

Hello there.
Earlier this year I acquired this set of Oakleaves and Swords, from an auction house in Germany.
Anyway, I would very much like thoughts and opinions on them.
The oakleaves are marked 21 and 900.
I personal wonder if they’re maybe a private purchase set, or possible a jewellery’s copy?
I have an early 1957 issue set, and these in comparison are slightly smaller.
They measure 20mm across and 29mm from top to bottom of ribbon ring. 23 mm from top to the crossed swords. If this helps?
Over to you.
Thanks
oakleaves and swords.jpg
022.jpg
021.jpg
017 - Copy.jpg
Old Towzer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: Thoughts on these Oakleaves and Swords

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 31 Aug 2022 20:12

For the billionth time, this is a modern repro.havent you posted this before?

Oldtowzer

Post by Oldtowzer » 01 Sep 2022 05:11

Okay, there’s no need for the attitude! I’m not a serious collector. I just asked a perfectly reasonable question asking for info etc. So, it’s a modern copy, well that’s fine that’s all I wanted to know.
The least you could do is to offer a reply in the same spirit, and not full of sarcasm!!
Just for the record, ‘for the billionth time’ no I’ve not posted this before!
Old Towzer.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 01 Sep 2022 13:09

Hi Oldtowzer,

I don't want to trust myself with an online evaluation, something like that is hardly possible with the help of some photos.
In addition, the value of an original decoration is considerable, unfortunately the proportion of high-quality copies is very high.
You should make your way to an expert, I refrain from a recommendation, for good reasons.

Without a so-called "Provenance" of your decoration, however, I see "black" to "deep black"... :wink:

"Liste der Träger des Eichenlaubs mit Schwertern zum Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes"
Link: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der ... en_Kreuzes

I wish you the best of luck for your further research!

Hans

P.S. Are the photos of yourself, that would be interesting to know ?

* I personally don't know of any "sword bearers", only "simple" Knight's Cross bearers.
Most of the estate was sold decades ago, when a simple knight's cross was traded for less than 5000,- German marks, which was a lot of money in the 1970s.

Those years are over, compare it with the price for a kilogramm of 999 gold, then you are in the direction...
„Im Leben gibt’s die Bösen und die Guten. Und die dazwischen, das sind die Bagaluten.“

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 02 Sep 2022 19:28

Oldtowzer wrote:
01 Sep 2022 05:11
Okay, there’s no need for the attitude! I’m not a serious collector. I just asked a perfectly reasonable question asking for info etc. So, it’s a modern copy, well that’s fine that’s all I wanted to know.
The least you could do is to offer a reply in the same spirit, and not full of sarcasm!!
Just for the record, ‘for the billionth time’ no I’ve not posted this before!
Old Towzer.
Yes,agree my comment was semi rude,and I send my apology. but I stand by my assessment of your relic

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 02 Sep 2022 19:49

Hello Oldtowzer ;

You have a perfect copy ( post war of course ), but made by the original manufacturer of this coveted brooch ( Gebr. Godet & Co., Berlin )
They are typically marked " 900 " and " 21 ".
Because the swastica was not part of the design, production continued after 1945.

The only noticeable difference, the distances between the tips of the crossguards and the blades.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Oldtowzer

Post by Oldtowzer » 10 Sep 2022 07:34

Firstly, my apologies for the delay in responding. I’ve been away and this is the first chance I’ve had to catch up with things.
I’m not one of those people that spend their entire life glued to their mobile phones etc. I actually have a life.
Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you too those good people out there, who took time to answer my request.
So, the general consensus seems to be that the Oakleaves and Swords are a post war made set, which truth be told is what I thought.
Thanks again for your time.

Old Towzer.
Last edited by Oldtowzer on 10 Sep 2022 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 10 Sep 2022 11:51

Hi Oldtowzer,

thank you for your answer, surely not only I would be interested in the "background" of your award, it would be interesting to read a few words about it ?

It would be nice if you could dwell on that for a moment. :wink:

With this in mind, a friendly greeting to you!

Hans
„Im Leben gibt’s die Bösen und die Guten. Und die dazwischen, das sind die Bagaluten.“

Return to “Axis Awards”