New Book On WWII Artifacts In The Works

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
R. J. Kimmel
Banned

New Book On WWII Artifacts In The Works

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 15 Mar 2002, 16:12

THE ENIGMA OF WW2 ARTIFACTS

Copyright 2002

By Richard J. Kimmel; Author of The Phenomenon of Third Reich Badge Collecting ~ From The Hocus Bogus To True Genuine

The word ENIGMA, as used in the title of this book, is one of several definitions referenced in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary: "Something hard to understand or explain."

INTRODUCTION

There have been many books written about both Allied and Axis WW2 artifacts. This book touches on the enigma aspect of some of its unusual trappings. When there is none or very little documentation to support an artifact, collectors have a tendency to classify the item as not being genuine. This is the simple way of getting away from the enigma aspect.

It is equally as difficult to prove an artifact to be genuine, than it is to prove it not to be. With this thought in mind, considering the thousands of items produced during this period, it is not probable that collectors will ever know all that was produced. Items never seen before, unusual items, will however surface from time to time.

Speculation within the collecting community now begins along with the inferences. An item not having been seen before by collectors does not automatically exclude it from existance. It is very easy to accept the existence of the common collectible items, even the documented rare ones. There is the rare breed of individual who will speculate, research, develop theories based on the information gathered and present conclusions to the open-minded segment of the collecting community.

Some researchers consider this as a gray area; while average collector mindset is that any artifact that does not conform to majority of opinion is not worth the time to research or to invest in. On the contrary, I feel that what some consider a gray area is what makes the researching and the collecting of these obscure, one of a kind artifacts interesting and in most cases worth the investment. You should be of the mindset to the realm of possibility that the item had existed, but only just surfaced. Another way of saying it is that one should never negate this possibility, as nothing should be considered absolute.

My preference is to term this not as a gray area, but rather an area of golden opportunity; the opportunity to possess a unique piece of history. In the following segments the artifacts introduced are only a fraction, while others may still be waiting to be discovered; possibly by you!
Last edited by R. J. Kimmel on 19 Mar 2002, 23:04, edited 2 times in total.

RF HONTS
Banned

hello

Post by RF HONTS » 15 Mar 2002, 19:57

I would have to agree with both R. Kimmel, and WC Stump. On MOST of the items in our collection we cannot prove to disprove the items. We either go by what "so-in-so" says about them, what we see in references, or what we feel is original. The only true way of obtaining a undisputed original piece is from the German Familly, and even then you take the risk of getting a fake. Perfect example is the Uboat badge in Diamonds. If you can find one without a provience, it would bring around the $5,000.00 range...if you get one from the family belonging to a known recipient, it would cost upwards of $20,000.00. BIG difference.

Original photographic evidence is also a big help. However there are several photos not taken of soldiers wearing certain badges. You cannot go by the fact of unless there is a original period photo of someone wearing that piece, it is a fake. German Soldiers did not have in mind their items would become collectables someday. In other words they didn't pose for the photos knowing this.

The books we currently have in our collections are no where near perfect. Each book has something useful in them, and we just need to "wade" through the junk to find the good, useful information. There is and never will be the ultimate reference book, as every book will always contain somekind of "fantasy tale". However adding as many books as possibly to our collection "arms" us with useful knowledge and the ability to find out what is fake and what is original.

Roger
Last edited by RF HONTS on 16 Mar 2002, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.

R. J. Kimmel
Banned

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 15 Mar 2002, 20:59

Fellow Collectors,

Below I have posted the opening segmet from my new book "The Enigma Of WWII Artifacts." If this isn't FACT and HONESTY, then I don't know what is. Should anyone wish to see color photographs of the skull, I shall be most happy to attach them to an e-mail (my scaner is not operative so can't post them here).

Rich

Richard J. Kimmel Copyright 2002

THE SALASPILS CAMP

During WW2, located 18 km east of Latvia's Capital City of Riga, is situated the City of Salaspils. In a forest glade speckled with clusters of heathen growth, fascists set up a concentration camp where thousands of people, including children, lost their lives. A double-barbed wire fence with many watchtowers surrounded the camp . Surrounding the central watchtower, in three rows totaling thirty-nine, barracks were built for the prisoners. Terror was reigning at the camp throughout its existence; from October 1941 to late summer 1944.

The purpose of building the camp is unclear. According to some statements, it was a rush project built to house the Reich Jews, but as soon as the camp was finished, about September 1942, it was turned over to quarter Gentiles, mostly Latvian and Slavic political prisoners. During March 1943 there were 1,990 prisoners in Salaspils, but according to some estimates, as many as 6,000 had been squeezed into it.

If, during the building stage, the Salaspils Camp was an example of destruction by labor, then in the Gentile Phase, though it was harsh and many people died or were executed, it served partly as a labor camp and partly as a transit camp for people who awaited sentencing, interrogation, or imprisonment in the Central Prison of Riga. Numerous Ostarbeiters from Belorussia, on their way to Germany were commonly held in Salaspils. During the last year of the camps existence most of the prisoners were Latvian resisters, draft-dodgers and deserters from the Legion.

Today, behind the forest glade, at the site of the former death camp a monumental long concrete wall rises in front as a symbol of the borderline between life and death. It was here those brought to Salaspils left all their hopes at one side, but at the other side the earth moans. Indeed, beyond this the earth is covered with blood, sweat and tears; the gate, once here, was passed never to return. This memorial ensemble to the victims of the fascist terror, one of the largest memorial complexes in Europe, was opened on October 31, 1967

THE SALASPILS SKULL

This relic is a hand carved solid wooden skull that was retrieved from an SS Officer's desk in the area of the Salaspils Concentration Camp in Latvia. The SS skull badge (rare) is silver, exhibiting a patina usually prevalent with silver. The original threaded posts at either end of the reverse have been removed and nailed to the forehead of the skull at both ends of the banner. Imbedded in the top center of the skull is the round portion of an SS Officer's belt buckle. This has no documentation other than the confidential source from which it was obtained.

The skull is carved in one piece, close to human size, from a hardwood and has been painted a slightly off white color and charred in several places to resemble an actual skull having been in the ground for some time. The paint after being examined and tested was determined as being milk paint. As for the charring... I spoke with local fire officials and was told that even wood that has been charred fifty or so years ago will still give of an odor and when rubbed will blacken your fingers or a piece of white paper. As for the nails affixing the skull badge to the forehead, these have a cross hatching of a European type... a nail manufacturer confirmed this.

Thanks to Roger, the photos below were posted. I had attached them to an e-mail sent to him, however, my copying them made the color off a bit. The skull is off-white and has no yellow-greenish tint.

Last edited by R. J. Kimmel on 13 Apr 2002, 19:59, edited 6 times in total.

R. J. Kimmel
Banned

Re: THE SALASPILS SKULL

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 16 Mar 2002, 16:12

WCSTUMP wrote:Please treat us with a picture.
I wouldn't think anything less. Roger will be posting it for me, as I did state above that my scaner is not opeative.

It is 100% genuine, but unfortunately by your standrds and good judgement Mr. Stump, my provenance cannot be presented at this tme. I am not at liberty to disclose the confidetial source from who it was obtained. I can tell you that the indiidual was a former member of the CIC during WWII and that he participated in the Nuremburg Trials.

Rich
Last edited by R. J. Kimmel on 13 Apr 2002, 19:53, edited 2 times in total.

M. Schroeder

Post by M. Schroeder » 16 Mar 2002, 21:01

Oh brother...here we go again... :roll:

Rich, doesnt it basically boil down to what YOU are happy with in your collection? If you like it, fine. Its yours, you own it. However, should you ever decide to sell this strange item, I can tell you right now that without provenance, your story and two bits wouldnt buy you a cup of coffee.

R. J. Kimmel
Banned

FOR MR. STUMP

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 16 Mar 2002, 21:07

Mr. Stump,

I wish to formally express my appreciation for the advanced publicity, you've posted on the Wehrmacht Awads Forum, of the fact that I have a new book in the works and for the plug of my other book "The Phenomenon Of Third Reich Badge Collecting ~ From The Hocus Bogus To True Genuine". This unsolicited publicity is worth it's weight in $$$$$!

Rich

R. J. Kimmel
Banned

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 16 Mar 2002, 21:26

M. Schroeder wrote:Oh brother...here we go again... :roll:

Rich, doesnt it basically boil down to what YOU are happy with in your collection? If you like it, fine. Its yours, you own it. However, should you ever decide to sell this strange item, I can tell you right now that without provenance, your story and two bits wouldnt buy you a cup of coffee.
Thank you for your comments, they're always appreciated.

Rich

R. J. Kimmel
Banned

Re: HIGH STANDARDS

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 16 Mar 2002, 21:45

WCSTUMP wrote:My standards are rather high when writing about any item. I always try to supply factual documented evidence to support my views. being a criminal investigator for many years I know not to go into court with hearsay and unsubstantiated evidence. I prepare any article or book I write using the same criteria. Like I told my friend Roger Honts, when I tell you it is going to rain, get out your umbrella. I always have my umbrella out as to not get my work "wet" and see it crumble before my very eyes. I have always looked down on unsupported statements, speculation and theories. Like Sgt. Friday used to say on the T. V. show Dragnet, "Just the facts, just the facts." And as per your "wooden skull" to me it would be just as hollow as Charlie McCarthy without supporting documentation. The war has been over now over 55 years so who cares if the "confidential source" was in the CIA (there was no CIA during W.W.II as it was called the OSS). I am sure that the items has no secret "Hocus Bogus" attached to it now. The bottom line with me is if you can't factually document what you say, then your stories can be included in the section where Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale books are located. I am sure it will be entertaining, but in the end just an entertaining fleeting moment not to be taken seriously.
Mr. Stump,

Your comments are always welcomed, your opinions as well.

Rich
Last edited by R. J. Kimmel on 30 Mar 2002, 22:47, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Axis Awards”