Info on German Order

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
WCSTUMP
In memoriam

Post by WCSTUMP » 02 Nov 2003, 19:24

Requin Marteau wrote:The German Order (also called Order of Death), believed to have been designed by Benno von Arent and manufactured by Wilhelm Deumer (Black enamel cross with gold eagles between the arms, the centerpiece was the Golden Party Badge and a facsimile of Hilter's signature appeared on the reverse. The entire cross was surmounted by a large gold laurel wreath, crossed swords, an eagle and oakleaves, carried around the neck, the ribbon identical to that of the Blood Order).
Apart from Dr Todt, the only known recipients were :
- SS Ogruf Heydrich, 9 juin 1942 (posthumous),
- NSKK Korpsfhr Adolf Huhnlein, 22 juin 1942 (posthumous),
- SA Stabschef Lutze, 8 mai 1943 (posthumous),
- Gauleiter Josef Bürckel, 3 octobre 1944 (suicide in novembre 1944,
- Generalmajor Rudolf Schmundt, 7 octobre 1944 (posthumous),
- Reichsarbeitsfhr Konstantin Hierl, 24 février 1945,
- Gauleiter Karl Hanke, 12 avril 1945 (murdered several weeks later),
- Gauleiter Karl Holz, 19 avril 1945 (K.I.A. the following day),
- Reichsjugendfhr Artur Axmann, 28 avril 1945.

Dönitz, Himmler & Speer were also considered for the award, but so far as can be ascertained never received it.
No photos of it being worn have ever come to light, although it was clearly pictured, perhaps significantly without a ribbon, on the funeral pillows of Todt and Heydrich.
However, since the order is known to have been manufactured in two classes (Neck cross, breast cross) and six different versions, both with and without swords (Breast cross without swords, approved but never conferred).
SORRY, BUT YOU LEFT OUT A RECIPIENT: ADOLF WAGNER. HE WAS THE 5TH RECIPIENT.

WCSTUMP
In memoriam

Post by WCSTUMP » 13 Nov 2003, 04:00

Mark Costa wrote:There is an interesting reference to Axmann's German Order in the book "Hitler's Last Courier" -- I can't remember the author. But he was one of Axmann's aides or "runners" in the Bunker. He relates the story of Axmann's award and Axmann's showing of it to his Hitler Youth Comrades in one of the other bunkers in late April 1945.
Maybe he is still alive and could remember what version he saw ???

Mark Costa
I just received the book HITLER'S LAST COURIER, by Armin D. Lehmann. On page 392 he wrote, "Two or three days later, Rifr. Arthur Axmann received the Golden Cross of the German Order. The date was most likely April 26. Hitler surprised him with this, Germany's highest decoration. Hitler personally awarded it to Axmann.....I was present when Axmann, wearing this order like a Knight's Cross, returned to our room in the Party Chancellery."

We still have no factual evidence that Axmann received the 1st Class or 2nd Class German Order. What we can eliminate is the 3rd Class. Maybe further investigation can prove 100% for sure what class was awarded Axmann, but I still say, based on everything I can determine that only the 1st Class was bestowed during the war.

Matt Gibbs

Armin Lehmann

Post by Matt Gibbs » 30 Nov 2003, 17:36

Armin Lehmann was still alive when I corresponded with him in 2002. Wich I had known about this then, I would have asked him!
I suppose it is only a case of him recalling if Axmanns award had the swords hanging there or not..!
Regards
Matt Gibbs

Matt Gibbs

Further info

Post by Matt Gibbs » 30 Nov 2003, 17:48

I have sent a message to him care of his publishers website where they offer to send messages to the author, no guarentee he will reply but this is worth a try, he was on a few speaking trips with another HJ member earlier this year...
Regards
MG

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 10 Nov 2005, 18:46

I am digging up this old thread as some new information has come to light about the award to Artur Axmann. Over the years it has been speculated that Axmann's award was a "2nd Class" version based on the observations of Hitler's Luftwaffe adjutant Nicholas Von Below. Up to now there has been no corroborating evidence to back up Von Below's statements. But recently a book has been published called " The Hitler Book" based on the just recently released Soviet held testimonies of Otto Guensche and Heinz Linge. This book publishes word for word the their testimonies during their Soviet capitivity. Low and behold, their testimony supports Von Below's earlier statements that Artur Axmann indeed was awarded the German Order 2nd Class. So now three eye witnesses have confirmed a 2nd class award.

Mark Costa

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 11 Nov 2005, 10:33

Well done Mark. Shame my old Sparing partner is not here to see it. This brings the other references to the varrious class's into perspective. Order of the dead, with and without swords and breast cross. This is the set presented to the Orders museum by the manufacturers as their sample set. To add to the picture I have been informed there is a cross suspended from a ribbon. I have not seen it but the researcher was quite addiment.

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 11 Nov 2005, 20:44

Chris:

Bill Stump was the first person I thought of when I read the book. It's sad that he was not here to dispute the issue with me. Like yourself, I had many a heated, but always pleasurable arguments with him and always in a civil manner. I remember it took me months to convince him of Adolf Wagner's award.

But in any case -- we have now further evidence of lower class awards. I have always believed that Axmann's award was a second class and that Hanke and Holz' were of the third class --based on the wording of the citations. Also the comment in the Goebbels diaries that "Hanke was awarded the German Order although in a lower class". This award still continues to fascinate but still remain elusive. Very interesting that there may be a ribboned award?!!!!!!!

Mark Costa

I B Piper

German Order - (Can't be real)

Post by I B Piper » 03 Dec 2005, 16:30

Hi,

I acquired this a few weeks ago. In my opinion it is a repro, and I paid accordingly. What caught my attention was the name and date engraced on the back, Karl Hanke, 12/4 1945. That rang a bell! Anyway, beware, someone is making interesting repros.

Regards,

I B Piper
Attachments
German Order Repro.jpg
German Order Repro.jpg (52.24 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
German Order Repro Back.jpg
German Order Repro Back.jpg (35.51 KiB) Viewed 1745 times

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 03 Dec 2005, 17:38

These rare the latest fakes.

Bankers

Post by Bankers » 24 Jan 2006, 21:32

A militaria dealer friend of mine found one of these pin back cased awards at a gun show two years ago. He sold it for $7500. before I could get to him. He told me about it later. I could have kicked his a** good for that one. He said "I wish I had known you wanted it". He also found Hans Marseilles honor goblet at an antique shop in Evansville, Indiana in 1972 which he purchased for the startling sum of $100. Why don't I ever get those good things like that??? Martin

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 25 Jan 2006, 21:56

a picture of original pieces for comparison
Attachments
DEAD..jpg
DEAD..jpg (113.37 KiB) Viewed 1619 times

I B Piper

Post by I B Piper » 26 Jan 2006, 04:08

Fabulous pictures, thanks.

I B Piper

I B Piper

Better pictures of current repros

Post by I B Piper » 17 Jun 2007, 15:03

I've been getting better at taking pictures. I can't afford a real one of these, and I suspect I have a lot of company. I've managed to find 1st, 2nd and 3rd Class German Orders as repros. The 1st and 2nd aren't as good quality as the 3rd, but they cost less. I'm getting better at taking pictures, so I'll post pictures so everyone will have a better idea of what the different repros look like, and won't spend a lot of money. These were cheap, but they look great as fillers, as long as you don't look too close.

Regards,
I B Piper
Attachments
German Order1frontdetail1.jpg
German Order1frontdetail1.jpg (208.97 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
German Order1frontdetail2.jpg
German Order1frontdetail2.jpg (87.83 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
German Order1maker.jpg
German Order1maker.jpg (68.41 KiB) Viewed 1314 times

I B Piper

Pictures of 2nd Class repro

Post by I B Piper » 17 Jun 2007, 15:06

Again, for reference, a low cost repro.
Attachments
German Order2backdetail.jpg
German Order2backdetail.jpg (127.25 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
German Order2frontdetail.jpg
German Order2frontdetail.jpg (103.37 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
German Order2frontdetail1.jpg
German Order2frontdetail1.jpg (174.02 KiB) Viewed 1311 times

I B Piper

3rd Class repro

Post by I B Piper » 17 Jun 2007, 15:11

For reference, this is the 3rd Class, a bit higher quality, and has Karl Hanke's name on the back. An obvious fake, but it was cheap, and does look good as a filler. Sorry the previous pictures were so blurred. Again, I'm posting these so everyone will have an idea of what kinds of reproductions are out there, and hopefully won't buy one as an original.

Regards,
I B Piper
Attachments
German Order3backdetail.jpg
German Order3backdetail.jpg (127.95 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
German Order3detail.jpg
German Order3detail.jpg (161.43 KiB) Viewed 1306 times

Return to “Axis Awards”