Pilot Observer Badge by Juncker

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
ibcasper

PO Opinions

Post by ibcasper » 10 Jan 2004, 01:26

Marcus:

For clarification purposes, the wreath and the eagle are both thin and there is no mixture of a think wreath with a thin eagle, etc.
Steve

Marcus H

Post by Marcus H » 10 Jan 2004, 01:49

Sorry I'm confusing the issue, in regards to you briefly mentioning the details match the pilot badge from J Angolia. You did mention the wreath was thicker on that, this being so the eagles shouldn't really exactly match, they are from a different die. Thicker wreath being post J1 production.

Kind regards,

Marcus

ibcasper

PO Opinions

Post by ibcasper » 10 Jan 2004, 02:03

Marcus:
Sorry, I might have mislead you. The comparison in badges related to the type of eagle, detail of wreath, pin, hook, wing and concave properties,etc. The PO has a thin eagle on a thin wreath. The pilot badge has a thicker eagle on a thicker wreath.

Steve

Marcus H

Post by Marcus H » 10 Jan 2004, 03:52

No worries, I haven't explained myself very well. I try to explain my observations where as some give a synopsis of 'good' or 'bad' full stop.

The key to this hobby is knowledge and an explanation, and where a picture may speak a thousand words, in the hand is better.

I lack a lot of knowledge to my own demise, and I hope I eat my claims of fake.

I would suggest though you post this on the WHA forum where perhaps more people like John can take a look too. There are many avid Luft collectors on there, like John.

Where you call this a light weight badge, I'd call it a J1 or thin wreath as you are aware the first and early PO by Juncker.
Light I'd class as the aluminium badges, more synonmous with second and third pattern Juncker badges, these more often than not are the heavy or thicker wreath badge styles, but lighter of course in alu.

Silver badges don't even go there LOL, I'm not splitting hairs, just explaining what I may be going on about.

I truely hope I'm wrong in my judgement,

Kind regards,

Marcus

J Temple-West

Post by J Temple-West » 10 Jan 2004, 03:54

Steve, my fears are as follows:
The wreath, on the P/O is not a known 'Juncker' pattern..
J1's (thin wreathed) are all as the one I've posted..
All early P/O eagles were of either polished metal or silver plate..
The catch if of thicker guage than that found on original badges..
The hinge is not the usual type of 'Juncker' setup..
Can't comment on the rivets until I see a close up..
The makers mark, although close, dosn't have the 'Juncker' 'L' but again I would like to see a closeup..

I' ve posted another of my J1's.. It will give you an idea as to how the silver eagle should look.. Exactly the same bird was used on early P/O's..

Hope this helps... J
Attachments
forum j1 silver.jpg
forum j1 silver.jpg (98.5 KiB) Viewed 767 times

ibcasper

PO comments

Post by ibcasper » 10 Jan 2004, 16:43

J & Marcus:

Thanks for your observations. My understanding from the experts was that some of these eagles were indeed frosted.

As the wreath, eagle, pin, pin assembly, hallmark and clasp are similar to the Juncker pilot badge sold to me by Jack Angola, I would go with his expertize on these items.

I had opened up this post with questions concerning the value of a Juncker Pilot Observer badge, not as to the authenticity of this badge. I've learned in my many years in the hobby that opinions vary repeatedly on whether a piece is a fake or not.

Not having the object in your hand to judge the quality, weight and beauty of these badges makes a proper judgement all but impossible.

I would certainly debate whether many of the badges (including Js) are real or a fake. Who can say with any degree of certainty? I like you, might not have ripped these badges off of the uniform of a captured German soldier.

If not, they are all fakes??? Even Jack Angola's stuff was 100% faked?

Steve

Marcus H

Post by Marcus H » 10 Jan 2004, 16:58

Just for interest then here's a reproduction Juncker pilots badge, one of several.
Attachments
Picture 598.jpg
Picture 598.jpg (150.96 KiB) Viewed 749 times

Marcus H

Post by Marcus H » 10 Jan 2004, 17:35

And a Juncker PO, again one of several variations of the 'fugly' fake. These are getting better and better, they always have frosted eagles as a note. This certainly isn't one ofthe 'better' ones.
Attachments
Picture 201.jpg
Picture 201.jpg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 743 times

Marcus H

Post by Marcus H » 10 Jan 2004, 17:39

I only have small pic's of this one for now, enlarge them if you wish.

John, I can't post Neils badge even when resized and correct KB, but they are clear pic's of the obverse. reverse and side view of a J1 PO any ideas.
Attachments
Picture 216.jpg
Picture 216.jpg (14.9 KiB) Viewed 742 times

J Temple-West

Post by J Temple-West » 10 Jan 2004, 18:14

Hi Steve, I have to say that it saddens me to read your comments on opinions given on your P/O.. I understand that finding out that a prized piece turns out to be a 'fake' can be somewhat demoralizing, it's happened to us all at one time or another, but a 1st pattern (thin wreathed) 'Juncker' Has been and will always be of a certain type...
As a point of reference, I direct you to Lorenzo's site where you will find a comprehensive range of Original Luftwaffe badges, including a very nice P/O..

To your original question, if asked, I would have to say, with respect, that I would not want it in my collection and think that when you've had a chance to compare your badge with a few more examples you will agree that a lesson, how ever hard, has been learnt..

http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Warmest regards... J

J Temple-West

Post by J Temple-West » 10 Jan 2004, 18:21

Let's see if this comes out, Marcus.. I'm sure dear Neil won't mind..

The following three images are from the N. Howes collection..
Attachments
DSCN1221.jpg
DSCN1221.jpg (148.5 KiB) Viewed 735 times

J Temple-West

Post by J Temple-West » 10 Jan 2004, 18:23

Attachments
DSCN1222.JPG
DSCN1222.JPG (118.11 KiB) Viewed 734 times

J Temple-West

Post by J Temple-West » 10 Jan 2004, 18:30

Just to clarify, this is a text book example of a 1st Pattern (thin wreathed) Pilot/Observer badge by 'C.E Juncker' from the N. Howes collection..

Steve, the bird aside.. just compare the wreaths...

R's.. J
Attachments
DSCN1230.JPG
DSCN1230.JPG (112.3 KiB) Viewed 732 times

ibcasper

PO Badge

Post by ibcasper » 11 Jan 2004, 02:21

I'll take a look and compare my badge with these alleged originals. By the way, any opinions on one of my other Juncker badges?
Steve
Attachments
luftr1.JPG
luftr1.JPG (63.53 KiB) Viewed 719 times
luftr2.JPG
luftr2.JPG (57.33 KiB) Viewed 719 times

ibcasper

PO Opinions

Post by ibcasper » 11 Jan 2004, 03:02

Hi:
I've checked the website you mentioned and compared both the Jack Angolia badge with my early frosted PO badge. The detail of both my badges far exceeds what you have shown in your responses and the website badges look questionable.

Since I have compared the wreaths, hallmarks, eagles, feathering,etc., with the Jack Angolia original, I can only conclude that my badges are good. The website eagle feathers on the wings are very crudely formed and the hallmarks are improper. If your Junckers look like what is on that website, I think that your badge and/or badges may not be legit. Side by side with my Junckers, the quality of my badges is evident. Sorry.

Steve

Return to “Axis Awards”