Mr. William c. Stump

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
VON THERMANN

Mr. William c. Stump

Post by VON THERMANN » 22 Jan 2005 13:06

Today encounter in my mail will stump died.
please any information about him...
thanks very much

I only know about him he was a great collector of german orders, and i have a pic with all medals of von ribbentrop.

frans.m

Post by frans.m » 22 Jan 2005 14:07

W C Stump passed away on August 26 last year, he was truly one of the great collectors of german decorations with an amazing knowledge in this field, he contributed a lot to our hobby, he will be missed.
kr. Frans

Macmedal

Post by Macmedal » 22 Jan 2005 18:52

Yes Bill used to regularily contribute on this board.

His contributions are already sadly missed.

Marcus H

Post by Marcus H » 22 Jan 2005 20:37

Indeed my friend Bill will be missed, in the very short time I knew him via pm and e mail, we talked alot about nothing and the hobby in general and in detail.

He was a grumpy old yank, whom I respected and considered a friend on a personal level......his knowledge and help, not to mention short but friendly e mails will be missed, and are !

Kr

Marcus

VON THERMANN

Post by VON THERMANN » 23 Jan 2005 01:32

Desire to thank to all for the information supplied on the mister stump, the in an opportunity answered very kindly my constant questions. All its collection, was put for sale???? thanks to all and my respects to the family Stump

don

Post by don » 23 Jan 2005 12:58

If you look in the search area I am sure you will find some of his posts
don

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 04 Dec 2006 18:25

Bill Stump was around long before I joined the forum but I have always enjoyed reading his posts and seeing his great collection. He certainly seemed to be a larger-than-life character.

I'm sure I read on the forum that he met Grand Admiral Karl Doenitz when Germany surrendered in May 1945.

Mr.Stump also had a massive collection of von Ribbentrop's awards. I wonder what happened to his collection after he died?

Best regards.

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 05 Dec 2006 18:22

Sadly, Bill had to dispose of his collection over the years to pay for his medical bills. He also "lost" quite a bit of it during his divorce many years ago. Most of what he had left was his extensive files, photos etc. And I am not sure if these perished in the fire that took his life.

Mark

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 05 Dec 2006 23:11

Mark Costa wrote:Sadly, Bill had to dispose of his collection over the years to pay for his medical bills. He also "lost" quite a bit of it during his divorce many years ago. Most of what he had left was his extensive files, photos etc. And I am not sure if these perished in the fire that took his life.

Mark
Thanks Mark, I did not know the circumstances of Bill Stump's death.

A terrible shame if historical documents and rare photos were destroyed in the fire and of course a terrible death. I had previously assumed that he had died of old age.

After his death, there was someone continuing to use Bill's username on the Militaria Collecting Forum pretending to be him. I guess there are some real sickos in this world.

Here is Mr. Stump's collection of von Ribbentrop's decorations if anyone is interested in taking a look at this fantastic thread you will not regret it.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=776

Best regards.

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 06 Dec 2006 18:25

He was extremly generous to me in my research into awards and he was very gracious with his time and patience to a new-ish researcher. The ribbentrop thread was indeed an exceptional one. His photos and records would have been almost priceless
ttfn
Matt

Bankers

Post by Bankers » 07 Dec 2006 10:06

I did not know Bill died in a fire. I live in Kentucky and would see Bill at most shows I attended. He really had a "knack" for picking up fine material--especially in Germany which he visited quite often back in the 60's and 70's before many collectors showed up in the market. I know Bill had a heart transplant several years ago and would use a scooter at the shows to get around. He took massive amounts of steroids to keep his heart going and at the end was extremely swollen due to their use. I asked him once how he liked his new heart and he told me "it just was not worth it". Bill was a teacher in his early life and an expert in karate. I will always remember when he sold his Luft badges in the 70's and how I thought his prices were out of line. I sure wish I had bought a few today. Especially the Juncker marked Retired Pilots badge. I think his quality of life at the end left a great deal to be desired, but he will be missed by all. Martin

hankmeister

Post by hankmeister » 08 Dec 2006 04:39

Although I don't have firsthand knowledge of Mr. Stumps circumstances, I seem to recall hearing he had a fall at home, and passed due to complications.
However, I don't know that for fact....

Hank

Douglas 5

Post by Douglas 5 » 08 Dec 2006 14:21

Sorry to hear of the passing of Mr Stump .
Read many good posts of his and a great loss to this collecting field indeed .
Douglas

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 08 Dec 2006 20:59

Bill Stump's death resulted from injuries suffered following a very damaging fire at his house. There were a lot of rumors as to what took place. Some stated that he fell while trying to vacate the house during the fire (Most likely). Other rumors state he fell while trying to kick a neighbors cat. I believe the first is the most likely. In any case he spent many weeks in the hospital trying to recover but his body just gave out. As has been stated, he had been very ill for years.

Bill and I "argued" a lot over the years trying to convince each other of some sort of opinion or fact --but we were very good friends and shared a lot of information. Bill and I had a passion for the German Order and you could always feel that passion when a new piece of information was discovered --such as finding another recipient (Adolf Wagner).

He was a great guy and a fantastic PR man for this hobby of Third Reich collecting and researching -- He is sorely missed by all that had contact with him.

Mark

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 08 Dec 2006 21:33

I hope Mr.Wendel won't mind me posting some links to a few threads at the Wehrmacht Awards Forum:

BILL STUMP'S MEETING WITH GRAND ADMIRAL KARL DOENITZ
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/associa ... rticle.php

BILL STUMP'S ACCIDENT AS REPORTED TO SEBASTIAN BIANCHI
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... hp?t=62106

You will see from the above thread that Bill told Mr.Bianchi by telephone that he suffered a small fire in his house and tripped on something, breaking his arm. He suffered some complications afterwards (heart, respiratory system) which made his condition worsen to the point of ICU.

His condition obviously worsened and he died some weeks later.

NEWS OF BILL STUMP'S DEATH & TRIBUTES
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... hp?t=64190

There are some photographs of Bill in the above thread that were taken at various militaria shows.

Hope everyone finds these links interesting and you can tell just how well he was thought of by members throughout all the militaria/history forums.

I'm only sorry that I never got the chance to correspond with him as he was apparently happy to communicate with fellow enthusiasts worldwide.

Best regards.

Return to “Axis Awards”