Reproductions

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Matt Gibbs

Reproductions

Post by Matt Gibbs » 30 Mar 2002, 01:29

Just out of interest with regard to reproducing awards [something I am personally against] but assuming that out there somewhere are jewellers who take an interest in their proffession and study the way things are made in different times and places if someone where able to come up with the money wouldn't it be possible with some time and care to reproduce a superb looking diamonds badge by using an original plain badge as the base and then working on it in the correct style..?? It's got to be possible given the information and interest around... as anyone done it..? My guess is yes, probably. These so called 'prestigious' awards have to be a target for the fakers. Anyone on the forum got any statistics for the number of real vs fake badges of this kind..? There were only a small number of the U Boat diamonds recipients...any idea how many were produced vs how many around. Also, there must be a few war time produced but not presented awards, are these worth less than a presented item..? Just wondering..?
Regards

WCSTUMP
In memoriam

FACT AND OPINION

Post by WCSTUMP » 30 Mar 2002, 03:55

As per the number of known produced U-Boat badges with diamonds THREE documented firms produced these badges for Raeder and Donitz. They were Godet, Schwerin and C. E. Junker. Admiral Donitz told me that he had order "100 in pure silver". What appened to them? That question has an unknown answer.

For a documented original the price would be tripple for one not documented to a recipient. As per fakes Kreigsmarine badges with diamonds, there are enough today on the market and in collections to award every officer in the North Sea and U-boat fleets of WWII.

Matt Gibbs

Danke!

Post by Matt Gibbs » 30 Mar 2002, 18:50

Many thanks Mr Stump. It seems a shame that such special badges for merit etc should be watered down by the proliferation of fakes such that as you say, just about everyone could have recieved one! Ah well...such is the fascination with history I guess - and thanks for the idea of values for non and attributable badges.
Regards

Return to “Axis Awards”