NS Frauenschaft Badges

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Mike Shaner

Post by Mike Shaner » 23 Jan 2007, 03:18

ancasta, Here is a pic of some of the "family"........I believe that the Rotes Hakenkreuz was just a short effort that was by itself......I will give you some references the next time I get on. The DFO obviously spanned the wars, with the Imperial crown sharing space with the early swastika....then the DFO went on without the swastika, and then you got the NS Frauenschaft. Again, I will give you references for the DFO next time. I hope this helps. And thanks for the comments on my collection. I have been collecting for YEARS and enjoy it a lot----obviously.
Attachments
NSF-family.jpg
NSF-family.jpg (105.08 KiB) Viewed 3451 times

Mike Shaner

Post by Mike Shaner » 24 Jan 2007, 18:31

ancasta, three good references for Women in the Third Reich are: Mothers in the Fatherland, 1987, by Claudia Koonz; Women in Nazi Germany, 2001, by Jill Stephenson; and The Nazi Organisation of Women, 1981, by Jill Stephenson. In the last book, pp.28-31, the start of the Deutscher Frauenorden (DFO) was in 1923 by Elsbeth Zander and then she also trained nurses to take care of the SA in the order of the Red Swastika----Rotes Hakenkreuz. This was in 1927 and 1928. FYI Mike

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 27 Jan 2007, 12:04

Mike
Are not the attached metal RZM tags and control numbers to indicate this is an authorised acredited example of the badge.
I believe these were provided to manufacturers as an "official" example which was the pattern to be copied and no deviation from the standard provided was to be accepted. I have seen these on other types of rzm controlled awards and party pieces,
Nice collection. I would hate to have to try and collect all those now, this hobby is getting far too expensive for me! Indeed, sadly I am thinking of giving it up. Its seemingly not possible here to find real bargaions amongst the fairs and I could never now collect all I like so the enthusiasm really is not there.
I would love to know the makers of your badges however, at least how many of the oakleaf badges are M1/101 anyway ;)
ttfn
Matt

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 17 Feb 2007, 07:10

Hello Mike,

I'm very sorry I missed your posting of the RZM tags--Thanks for posting them!

Just curious--how long have you had them?

Best,
~Vikki

Mike Shaner

Post by Mike Shaner » 18 Feb 2007, 00:25

Vikki, Glad that you liked the ones with the tags. I have had the ones with the BIG oval tags for many years-----the two with the round aluminum tags I have only had for two years. I can look at the fronts of early NSF badges and have a good idea whether they are good or bad just by the size of the swastika. to me, and me only, the larger swastikas are no good and I have never seen one that I consider good. FYI......

By the way, you are a moderator. WHY am I having so much trouble posting to the site? I have clicked on "Submit" at least 10 times and all I get is "Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form." I have done something wrong???

Mike Shaner

Post by Mike Shaner » 18 Feb 2007, 00:34

Hey Matt Gibbs.....sorry to take so long to reply to you. It has been VERY difficult to post replys!!!! I am sitting here with my Women's drawer....and all the Frauenschaft pins. ALL my "later" pattern badges are marked M1/120 as are several "extras" that I have. Two with the pattern sample tags (the oval ones) are also M1/120. And yes, they are the samples for the RZM and they show what is accepable. Please note that the Kreis level with the tag has the RZM and the M1/120 "impressed" into the metal and not raised. Almost all of my later pattern badges have the RZM impressed....wonder why? And this hobby is also getting out of hand with the prices. And it is difficult to acquire quality pieces for a collection these days--even if you can afford to buy it!! I have been collecting for a long time and have enjoyed it thoroughly.....and now it is nice to be able to share some wee knowledge and opinions with others. None of my oaklef badges is M1/101....my DAF with oakleaves are both M1/102.....FYI I hope that your interest has returned!!! It still is fun even just seeing items without purchasing!! Mike

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 18 Feb 2007, 18:39

Mike Shaner wrote:By the way, you are a moderator. WHY am I having so much trouble posting to the site? I have clicked on "Submit" at least 10 times and all I get is "Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form." I have done something wrong???
Mike,

I'm not sure of the reason for it, but I sometimes have the same problem. The problem was mentioned in the Announcements section, so apparently we're not the only ones experiencing this:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=113791

cysior

Post by cysior » 30 Aug 2007, 01:57

Here is my small collection of frauenschaft and Daf's
Attachments
hh.jpg
hh.jpg (218.48 KiB) Viewed 3051 times

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 01 Sep 2007, 06:48

Very nice, cysior!

Best,
~Vikki

cysior

Post by cysior » 01 Sep 2007, 17:28

Thanks Viki. But nothing compares to mike's collection ;)

RTFREY

FRAUENWERK CARD & PIN

Post by RTFREY » 01 Sep 2007, 20:10

Not exactly on point but a nice enameled swastika pin that came with this Frauenwerk card.

The pin is an early type often worn by women who were not yet affiliated with a particular organization, or who just wanted to show their support of the regime.

from my personal collection
Attachments
FW3.jpg
FW3.jpg (235.4 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
FW2.jpg
FW2.jpg (243.82 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
FW1.jpg
FW1.jpg (241.28 KiB) Viewed 2990 times

Wingtip

A small group of pins brought back from WWII

Post by Wingtip » 25 Sep 2007, 00:34

Greetings All,

I found this thread when I was looking for some information about several pins in my collection. I bought a group of pins from my neighbor who brought them back as souvenirs from WWII. Among the small collection are four N.S. Mädchenschaft pins.

There is no Jung or J in the top lettering, and the pins are not RZM marked just marked "GES. GESCH". My neighbor was a combat engineer during the war and was in Stuttgart before being sent home in late 1945. The story behind the pins and the other stuff (armbands, etc) he brought back was that the local residents threw all of their Nazi stuff into a big pile which was later burned. He grabbed a handfull of stuff, and these pins were among his loot.

I didn't know if anyone had seen this variation before, and I would appreciate any assistance in helping me figure out what type of pin this is, being that it is missing the word Jung. Though I only have limited knowledge of the German language, it seems though that the word "Jung" would have been redundant as the word Madchen by its definition connotes youth. Anyway, here are two good clear scans of the fronts and backs of the pins.

Enjoy!

Al
Attachments
NSM Pin Front.jpg
NSM Pin Front.jpg (134.57 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
NSM Pin Back.jpg
NSM Pin Back.jpg (137.63 KiB) Viewed 2790 times

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 27 Sep 2007, 07:13

Hello Al,

From J.R. Cone's One Reich, One People: Enameled Organizational Badges of Germany 1918-1945, regarding the organization and the pin:
The organization, formed in 1933 along with the parent Frauenschaft, was short-lived for its usefullness was lost with several other groups being formed. It initially was started as a girls organization of the Nazi Women's League. Membership was voluntary for those who already belonged to the JM or BdM.

The badge design adopted by this little-known organization was a carry-through of the Frauenorden style. "N.S. Mädchenschaft" replaced the top banner across this rare badge. Size specifications are unknown. All metal parts were gilt plated over copper as on so many of the other early Frauenschaft badges. This badge would also probably not be RZM marked but would almost assuredly have the spring pin/catch on the reverse. This particular organization was done away with in late 1935 due to the general lack of membership, and direction from the party...

The example in Cone's book, unlike the examples posted here, doesn't have the "J" (or "Jung") either, just "Nat.Soc.Mädchenschaft" across the top of the pin (see the photo below)--like your pins. I would simply consider this difference a contract/manufacture variation, much as "N.S. Frauenschaft" is abbreviated in various ways on Frauenschaft pins.

Hope this helps, and thanks for posting the photos!

Best,
~Vikki
Attachments
NS Mädchenschaft.jpg
NS Mädchenschaft.jpg (49.45 KiB) Viewed 2747 times

cysior

Post by cysior » 19 Oct 2007, 00:45

Al - I'm pretty sure i've seen pin like yours once on militaria show. I did not buy it because i did not like sloppy letters... especially because i've seen madchenschaft pins with ST&L marker mark before .. with nice N.S.J Madchenschaft on the front..
But looks like "sloppy" letters and nat.soz. can be correct too ;)
Attachments
yktg.jpg
yktg.jpg (29.68 KiB) Viewed 2595 times

Vikki
Forum Staff

Re: NS Frauenschaft Badges

Post by Vikki » 16 Jul 2010, 04:53

Vikki wrote:Siegfried and Koj,

The Frauenschaft-Frauenwerk patches of that type I've seen are woven rather than printed, and with a smooth (rayon?) background rather than linen.

Here's one in my collection:
Frauenwerk Patch.jpg
Frauenwerk Patch.jpg (40.39 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
A photo of the patch in wear, on armbands, from Frauen helfen siegen: Bilddokumente vom Kriegseinsatz unserer Frauen und Mütter:
Attachments
Frauen helfen siegen 3.jpg
Frauen helfen siegen 3.jpg (197.06 KiB) Viewed 1995 times

Return to “Axis Awards”