For Roger...

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
rohrbacher

For Roger...

Post by rohrbacher » 11 Mar 2002, 16:23

Hello at the new forum Roger!
Let's pick up where we left off...you had some questions regarding Waffen SS Knights Cross photos???
-r

RF HONTS
Banned

Hello

Post by RF HONTS » 11 Mar 2002, 18:08

Hello Rohrbacher,

Yes, I would like to start purchasing some SS photos, but have no idea what the signature should look like. My question is, how did you know what to look for? Did you have examples to go by?

Thanks again,

Roger

rohrbacher

caveat emptor

Post by rohrbacher » 11 Mar 2002, 21:58

Hi Roger-
The operative phrase is "let the buyer beware". First, whenever possible, deal with known militaria dealers who have a good reputation. There are also a lot of private collectors disposing of their shots...this is usually a decent source; many older collectiors corresponded with the RK recipients personally after the war...because of this, the replies usually contained not only a signed photo but a signed (or handwritten note as well) and occasionally the original mailing envelope...all good signs. Some of the W-SS vets are still alive and do answer correspondence, but they are disappearing rapidly. There is a privately published book called "Das Kreuz"..full of signed photos including many SS. The 2 volume leaders and personalities of the 3 reich books are good also. If that doesn't help, I can scan anything in my collection for your comparison..just ask! I also have a network of e-pals who have a much greater knowledge on this subject than I do, and I could always ask them as well.
One other thing to keep in mind..there is a distinction between "wartime-signed" and postwar photos...be VERY careful when purchasing anything that is described as a wartime shot...anyone can buy an old postcard and scribble on the front.
One other thing..you have to realize that the more famous the person, the more likely you will find a forgery!
Hope this gives you a good starting point...anything else, give a shout!!!
cheers,
-r

RF HONTS
Banned

thank you!!

Post by RF HONTS » 11 Mar 2002, 22:28

Thank you very much for the advise.

You mentioned you have e-pals....I would like to start purchasing some, so maybe you could ask around for me? I would very much appreciate the help.

Please give them my email ([email protected]) if anyone has any signed photos.

Thanks again,

Roger

rohrbacher

SS only????

Post by rohrbacher » 11 Mar 2002, 23:17

Roger-
would your interest be only Waffen-SS or all branches of service?? I know someone who was disposing of a collection piece by piece, but most of the SS and U Boat stuff went fast...don't know what he still has for sale.
-r
Also, some of the online auctions usually have some RKT photos for sale; most of the sellers are reliable...but do not get caught in a bidding war!!!!

RF HONTS
Banned

hello

Post by RF HONTS » 12 Mar 2002, 00:11

Yes, only SS photos. I have about 5 or 6 right now, but would like to expand my collection.

Thank you, and looking forward to hearing from you.

Roger

rohrbacher

Roger...

Post by rohrbacher » 12 Mar 2002, 04:53

Hi again Roger:
your email has been forwarded to the collector who is selling; if he has any W-SS left, I am sure he will contact you.
Which photos do you currently have in your collection?
-r

RF HONTS
Banned

hello

Post by RF HONTS » 12 Mar 2002, 04:59

Hello,

Thank you for your help.

The only two that I can remember are Remi S, and the rarests I have is Hermann Preiss.

Roger

Return to “Axis Awards”