High Scorers with Panzers and Paks

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
TigerTank301

Post by TigerTank301 » 01 Oct 2006, 19:14

Does anyone know any more about Johann muller and his crew?

Vincent S.

Post by Vincent S. » 04 Oct 2006, 21:15

Hello,

Gerardus Mooyman destroyed 13 Russian tanks in the winter of 41/42.

Herefor he recieved the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross.

Gerardus Mooyman was a Dutchman of the Freiwilligen SS legion "Nederland".

Here's a drawing of him, drawn by me...

Best Regards.

Heer Research Site.
Attachments
gerardus mooyman2.JPG
gerardus mooyman2.JPG (23.54 KiB) Viewed 7857 times

alexGERMAN

Post by alexGERMAN » 05 Dec 2006, 20:24

nurenig wrote:
lightwave wrote:They must have been absolutely amazing men to accomplish so much for Germany.

Michael Wittman obtained 138 kills in a Tiger I.
Otto Carius obtained 150+, also in a Tiger I.
Kurt Knispel obtained 168 kills.
Nothing amazing about having a tank that overpowers anything the Allies can throw against it.
This was not the main reason. Just becasue the germans produced superior equipment is no reason to degrade their fighting men.
Germans that didnt know how to fight found the tiger to be just as useless as a BMW scout bike. Just like the difference between americans who new how to use there shermans, and the americans that didnt. Dont discount a mans skill in battle just because he has a "shinier sword" so to speak.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 31 Jan 2007, 14:03

I stumbled over a PzJg.-Ace in a "Tagesmeldung" from 549.VGD to III.(germ.)SS-Panzerkorps , dated 12.3.45 , about Uffz. Otto Angel , born on 20.3.1913 in Oberntief/Kreis Ansbach , being Kdt. in the I./PzJgdAbt.6 mentioned with his 38th destroyed tank ( 8 on this specific day ! ) :

http://www.ritterkreuztraeger-1939-45.d ... l-Otto.htm

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 54#1014054

Jan-hendrik

Bernd R

Post by Bernd R » 31 Jan 2007, 18:37

concerning Otto Angel :
Scherzer has him : 15.03.1945 Unteroffizier Zugfhr i. d. Pz.Jagd.Abt 6

so, d.R. ? and I./ ?

found out the following, only online research :

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Per ... AngelO.htm
reporting of two times 7 tank destructions
Uffz d.R.

http://orbat.com/site/sturmvogel/pzjgabt.htm
Panzer-Jagd-Abteilung 6
Feb 45 formed from Stab Panzerjagd-Abteilung Regensburg with two jagdpanzer companies and a Pz.Aufkl.Kp. from Gneisenau-Einheinten
8 Apr 45 15 Hetzers operational and 4 in long-term repair, assigned to 3rd Panzer Army, Army Group Vistula
Pz.Jagd.Abt 6 -> Heerestruppe , subordinated to HGr Weichsel / 3. Pz.Armee
matches with the report of "lexikon" ; was on leave, home in Franken, probably at
Regensburg joined Pz.Jagd.Abt

what is causing doubts to me for the designation I./Pz.Jagd.Abt :
a three company Abt normally didn't have btls. ; maybe typo ? -> 1./

found here statement, that Pz.Jagd.Abt 6 was part of a Kampfgruppe Hellebaut in
april 1945 :
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 7&start=75
KAMPFGRUPPE HELLEBAUT
Kdr.u.SS-Stubaf. Frans Hellebaut
I.Btl./SS-Frw.Gren.Rgt.69 (Wallonien)
Btl.Kdr.u.SS-Hstuf. Derriks
II.Btl./SS-Frw.Gren.Rgt.66 (Langemarck)
Btl.Kdr.u.SS-Stubaf. Jan de Meulder
Pz.Jagd-Abt.6
Sturmbtl.Kolberg
Oder-Front 21.04.1945 - 22.04.1945

Source: 'Vlaanderen in Uniform'
luchs

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 31 Jan 2007, 19:12

Mon Ami Luchs ,

What I have stated I found in a copy of the original Tagesmeldung , I will attach it to this post , the source for that is the KTB of Division Denecke/549.VGD by BA-MA

Interestingly he is mentioned in the Meldungen for 10.3. and 11.3. as Uffz , without d.Res. . The point with I./PzJgdAbt.6 ist taken , it was a misreading by myself , 1./PzJgdAbt.6 was meant :wink:

To the stuff from the LdW-Bio : the is defintily a huge mistake as it were the fights in the Altdamm-Brückenkopf , not Dievenow ( as the KTB entry give very clearly ) . I hope I will get the whle copy set of this KTB during this week , so I might be able to add more !

Jan-Hendrik
Attachments
OttoAngelPzJgAbt.6.JPG
OttoAngelPzJgAbt.6.JPG (39.76 KiB) Viewed 6970 times

dakota

Post by dakota » 01 Feb 2007, 10:26

would most men on the list have accomplished their victories against the Russians on the Eastern Front because they had from 1941 to 1945 against all those tanks or have some of these amazing aces accumulated their kills on the Western Front (from D-Day till VE day) or maybe in North Africa. Either way they are impressive figures and this is an interesting post

Bernd R

Post by Bernd R » 01 Feb 2007, 11:49

in addition and for more complete picture on Angel, what is stated in
Biblio, KC series , Bd I (Stug)
RK: 15. 03. 1945, Uffz dR unter gleichzeitiger Beförderung zum Fw, Geschützführer 1.Zg, 1. Kp./ Panzer -Jagd- Abt. 6/ PzJgdBrig 104/ Kampfgruppe Munzel

Angel war Angehöriger der StGBrig 185 und konnte nach einem Tapferkeitsurlaub nicht zu seiner Einheit zurückkehren; er meldete sich am 02. 03. 45 bei der PzJgdAbt 6 in Frankfurt/ Oder. Am 07. 03. 45 schoß er mit seinem Hetzer bei Dievenow/ Pommern in sieben Minuten 6 T34 ab. Drei Tage später konnte er die gleiche Abschußzahl erreichen. Die Verleihung des RK erfolgte nach 38 Panzerabschüssen
So, for main topic here, 38 Panzerabschüsse.
Biblio, this time, has Uffz d.R. and Geschützführer [Scherzer: Zugführer].
Would say, let's keep in mind and notice another of increasing cases, where just the
simple KC award data are different in sources :? :roll:
Have read the Pz.Jagd.Brig 104 / Munzel topic at panzerarchiv, Jan-Hendrik, indeed seems
to be very complicated ; maybe Angel info a small piece in addition.

A different thing :
where does it come from, that Otto Carius had 150+ Panzerabschüsse ?
Anyone has a source or a quotation from "Tiger im Schlamm" ?
Biblio, Panzer Bd 1 is stating 68 for him.

regards, luchs

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 04 Jun 2007, 18:55

Another one for the list:

Uffz. Kurt Ohler of StuGAbt. 270 which became part of the Skijägers and was renamed into PzJgAbt..152 with 47 Kills.

Source :

Georg Gunter's Die deutschen Skijäger von den Anfängen bis 1945

Jan-Hendrik

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 21 Jul 2007, 11:14

Another one for the List:

Walter Rappholz

Jan-Hendrik

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 21 Jul 2007, 17:24

Correction fpr Wilhelm Knauth/ sPzAbt. 505:

credited for his 101st Abschuß on 22.10.44!

Jan-Hendrik

fockewulf17

Post by fockewulf17 » 03 Aug 2007, 22:51

Yes, it is true that german weaponry were superior to those of the allies, but it still does not underscore the heroic feats of the tank crews as well as there respective repair units. From my understanding panzers, esp. tigers, broke down quite often. Throw in the fact that these tanks were hit...sometimes multiple times it is amazing to see such high scores. The repair units for each tank group did just as heroic feats in getting tanks combat ready for each offensive.

As a side note regarding Micheal Whittman. According to several sources his tiger was downed by sherman tank, however on a recent trip to normandy I spoke with someone who believes otherwise. I was on a private tour with an english guide and we started talking about german armor. Whittman's name came up and he said he actually knows the farmer who has whittman's tiger tourret (sp?). He was able to stand in the tourret with half his body outside (exactly as whittman). Here is the catch, my guide told me that from the looks of the tourret it was infact a rocket from a typhoon that destroyed the tank. In fact the farmer still has the rocket tube in his possession. I did not see this but the guide was very credible.

PanzerKing

Post by PanzerKing » 10 Aug 2007, 20:17

How would a rocket tube be left over from an attack? Would it not be destroyed? Also, most believe that his Tiger was killed by a Sherman Firefly. I'm not sure what I believe. :)

fockewulf17

Post by fockewulf17 » 10 Aug 2007, 21:05

I am not sure what to believe too, but the guide said what he saw led him to believe that it was a typhoon rocket that knockedout the tiger. I can not quite remember what he said exactly. Almost all accounts say that Wittman was killed by a sherman firefly, but on the day he died there was a massive air strike in his area.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 13 Aug 2007, 00:19

The French farmer (Serge Varin) has some pieces from Wittmann's Tiger. Not the turret but the turret ring gaurd. He found some spent rockets in the field where he took the only known photo of '007' but this was a considerable time afterwards. He 'thought' a rocket destroyed '007'.
That is it.
Serge has no expertise in any of this area. He has no special information or insight and it is simply bits getting added every time the tale is retold.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”