Lt.General Arif Tanyeri, Turkish Army, an unknown Hero

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Tosun Saral

Lt.General Arif Tanyeri, Turkish Army, an unknown Hero

Post by Tosun Saral » 04 Nov 2005 17:21

Dear Friends,
I first came to Canakkale in 1947. I was 6 years old. We spent that night at the Officers Clup which was near the sea side. When I woke up in the morning I saw first time in my life the hills of Gallipoli in front of me beyond the Strait. Suddenly my hairs all stand. I was scared. I couldn't look towards the hills of Gallipoli. I feld as if I was once there in my previous life within a unhappy event. Until that time I never heard about the Battles of Canakkale and Gallipoli. Who knows?I beginned that fall to primary school in Canakkale. The name of the school was March 18th 1915.

My late father Major General Ahmet Hulki Saral (Infantry 1340/7)(1905-1982) was chief of staff at the fortress of Dardanelles during the years 1947-1949 with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/62cad/#TL
At those years the commander of the fortress was Lieutenant General Arif Tanyeri. He took part in Gallipoli Campaign as a young Second Lieutenant. He was a commander of horse- driven artillary battery.

One they in 1947 or 1948 the news came that the British will visit the battlefields on the peninsula. As the chief of staff my father organized a visiting programm. British came again with huge battleships. The battleships ancored at the enterence of the Dardalelles. We all remembered that bloody day March 18, 1915. But this time they were coming as friends and allies. General Arif Pasha as a host was leading the visitors.

My father told the folloving story to me that I never forget and want to share with you. battles of Canakkale (Gallipoli) was really a heroric battle for both sides. As great Turkish national poet Mehmet Akif Ersoy said :

"Shot down, on their spotlessly clean foreheads they lie,
For the sake of Crescent what suns are setting, O God!"

"On a spot, one of the British officers began to tell something in great enthusiazm. His words was translatede into Turkish immediately.“Here on this spot a Turkish Battery coused high losses to our men. To stop the battery we fired tons of bombs over them. But alas ! after every silence they again beginned to bomb our tranches. We could’t stop that battery until the end of all campaign.” And asked
“ who were those soldiers? Where are they?”
As the words of British officer translated into Turkish a hiccough was heard. Everyone turned their attantion at that person. He was General Arif Tanyeri. The old Pasha was crying. He riped his tears and said “ Sir That was me !” and continued “ My horses were all perished. So I ordered my men to carry the guns to a safer place at the back. Every time you gave up bombing we returned to our old tranches and fired bombs on you. You never thought to bomb behind our tranches. If you did I was surely not to be here.” After those words there was a deep silence than everyboy begun to cry like babies as if they were no soldiers. We embraced each other.”

Great Turkish Soldier General Arif Pasha (Artillery 1325-3) rest in peace. There is an eternal peace between Anzacs, British and Turks.

Mehmet Fatih

Post by Mehmet Fatih » 04 Nov 2005 20:03

That is very lucky of you Mr. Saral to meet a great hero like that.
I, myself, missed that heroic generation and couldnt meet any war vets from Gallipoli.
Thanks God in the last few years they published so many good books about WW1 and i found the chance to read about them.

Regards

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 02 Jan 2006 07:58

I found recently more information about General Arif Tanyeri. Arif was one of the heroes of the 3rd battle of Krithia/Kirte/Alçıtepe On Juni 6th 1915.
During the battle Turkish 9th Division lost half of its menpower. The front was nearly falling. There were only 150 Turks, 2nd battary of the 5th Regiment and a battery of 12 inches defending Siginsirt. They all got together and divided into three groups. Lietunant Ahmet Efendi was commanding the first group, which attacked from Kirte Deresi. The second group, under the command of Lt. Mehmet Efendi attacked from Kanlidere and the third group commanded by Lt. Arif Tanyeri attacked from the center. Those three groups made the last attack during the third Krite Battle. They defeated the enemy in five minutes’ time and regained the Turkish trenches. The distance between Turkish trenches and enemy powers was approximately 150 metres. At last, the troops of 15th Division reached the front and settled there. Lt. Arif and his friends were the victors of the Third Kirte Battle.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 03 Jul 2007 09:18

Lt.General Arif Tanyeri
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tosun Saral

Re: Lt.General Arif Tanyeri, Turkish Army, an unknown Hero

Post by Tosun Saral » 31 Jul 2010 10:34

I found a Turkish documantry about that visit.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=55465

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”