"Complete Book of World War II Combat Aircraft"

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
subskipper

"Complete Book of World War II Combat Aircraft"

Post by subskipper » 10 Apr 2002, 18:41

I was thinking of buying Enzo Angelucci's and Paulo Matricardi's book "Complete Book of World War II Combat Aircraft" and wanted to hear what you guys think of it. How much info is there and of what sort?

Thanks

~Henric Edwards

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

book

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 10 Apr 2002, 19:56

Henric

I've seen it and similar, remember there can only be a superficial amount in books covering large areas. For some aircraft types (ME-109, B-17, etc) I have more than a dozen titles and all are on the aircraft itself (not unit histories). By country there are very good single vols such as William Green's "Warplanes of the Third Reich" and Smith "German Aircraft of the Second World War" if covering Germany. Similar detailed (text and photos) quality titles exist for other countries as well.

Best
Mark

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 10 Apr 2002, 20:29

Thanks for the input Mark! I'll look around some more and see what I can find.

~Henric Edwards

Erich

Post by Erich » 11 Apr 2002, 00:01

Henric :

I would be so careful with those generic books as previously mentioned you will not receive thourough information regarding info on the a/c. Try the seperate a/c types. There are plenty of Allied and German aircraft books to delight the conisseuer, or even try the fighter group histories. At least here you will find info on the pilots and the aircraft they flew with interesting colour and marking schemes.

E 8)

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 11 Apr 2002, 01:28

Erich,

Yeah, I know. But at times I find that some sort of overview of what a/c types were used by a certain country would be very helpfull. On these occasions the detail need not be so great since there are other sources to check for that if necessary. :)

~Henric Edwards

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

books

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 11 Apr 2002, 10:27

Henric

If you need books on certain catagories, countries or specific types ask. I have a good number of development/data type books. I can save you some bad buys. Unit histories are outside my interest as I study development of the aircraft itself. My library covers German, RAF, US and Japanese aircraft.

Best
Mark

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 11 Apr 2002, 11:03

Thanks for the help Mark! I'll most certainly ask before I buy. :)

~Henric Edwards

mike262752

Post by mike262752 » 17 Apr 2002, 03:21

I have that book. I only bought it because it was on sale at a book store. try to be, the holy grail of information. Its a good book for quick refrences and general overviews. But its not, and doesnt

Like I said, I only got it because it was on sale (15$), I wouldnt pay to much for it.

mike

Logan Hartke

Re: book

Post by Logan Hartke » 17 Apr 2002, 17:21

Mark Yerger wrote:Henric

I've seen it and similar, remember there can only be a superficial amount in books covering large areas. For some aircraft types (ME-109, B-17, etc) I have more than a dozen titles and all are on the aircraft itself (not unit histories). By country there are very good single vols such as William Green's "Warplanes of the Third Reich" and Smith "German Aircraft of the Second World War" if covering Germany. Similar detailed (text and photos) quality titles exist for other countries as well.

Best
Mark
As far as German aircraft go, I have to agree on Green's book. As for other good series, I suggest the Putnam Aeronautical line of books. They are all very good.
http://www.batsford.com/putnamaeronautical.html
The Squadron/Signal publications are all very good and I would highly recommend them. Another must have is Michael Green and Gordon Swanborough's "The Complete Book of Fighters : An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Every Fighter Aircraft Built and Flown". It is very good. Well, that's my two cents.

Logan Hartke

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 17 Apr 2002, 21:50

Thanks for the link Logan!

~Henric Edwards

Erich

Post by Erich » 19 Apr 2002, 06:00

Gentlemen :

I see that William Green's book Warplanes of the Third Reich has been mentioned. Is it still available somewhere here in the USA ? Just had an inquiry from a former night fighter pilot who would love to have a copy.....

thanks all !

Erich

Cantankerous

Re:

Post by Cantankerous » 31 Mar 2021, 01:53

mike262752 wrote:
17 Apr 2002, 03:21
I have that book. I only bought it because it was on sale at a book store. try to be, the holy grail of information. Its a good book for quick refrences and general overviews. But its not, and doesnt

Like I said, I only got it because it was on sale (15$), I wouldnt pay to much for it.

mike
This book is available on Amazon at the following link:
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Wo ... 252&sr=8-1 (many used copies are available at a price of less than $11)

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”