WI Guidelines & Time Expansion-PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Marcus

Re: WI Guidelines & Time Expansion - please read carefully

Post by Marcus » 11 Mar 2008, 13:30

Troy Tempest wrote:Why has 1988 been selected for the cut-off point in history to discuss what-ifs? Is there a reason that Desert Storm is verboten?
The limit is simply this year minus 20 years.

/Marcus

Troy Tempest

Post by Troy Tempest » 11 Mar 2008, 13:42

Okay, thanks Marcus

Roddoss72

Post by Roddoss72 » 12 May 2008, 03:58

Salutations All

Can someone please explain to me what a "Strawman" is.

Regards

Roddoss72

Jon G.

Post by Jon G. » 12 May 2008, 04:04

You commit the straw man fallacy whenever you attribute an easily refuted position to your opponent, one that the opponent wouldn't endorse, and then proceed to attack the easily refuted position believing you have undermined the opponent's actual position. If the misrepresentation is on purpose, then the straw man fallacy is caused by lying.
From Fallacies, a highly useful web page.

Roddoss72

Post by Roddoss72 » 12 May 2008, 04:16

Jon G. wrote:
You commit the straw man fallacy whenever you attribute an easily refuted position to your opponent, one that the opponent wouldn't endorse, and then proceed to attack the easily refuted position believing you have undermined the opponent's actual position. If the misrepresentation is on purpose, then the straw man fallacy is caused by lying.
Salutations Jon G.

So if i have authored a post with a set of circumstances and someone comes onto that senario and begins to misquote what my senario has indicated, is that a "Straw Man", my understanding of debating hypothetical senarios is that one has to work in the confines of the original question. Any contribution from other relating to real world facts that have been not been endorsed by me as the original author of the question, are they considered "Straw Man". Or are a few select folk allowed to do what ever they please.

Regards

Roddoss72

Okyzm
Banned

Post by Okyzm » 31 May 2010, 22:05

There will be no thread’s concerning WI Germany had won WW2 how would the world be different etc. Again they are to shallow and the complex nature and dynamics of such a thread would make it unworkable in reaching a feasible conclusion
Is this restriction in regards to general question, or are threads regarding possible realization of certain Nazi goals allowed ?

LWD

Post by LWD » 01 Jun 2010, 13:12

Roddoss72 wrote:
Jon G. wrote:
Salutations Jon G.

So if i have authored a post with a set of circumstances and someone comes onto that senario and begins to misquote what my senario has indicated, is that a "Straw Man",
It could be or not. Was the misquote due to a misunderatanding or lack of clarity? If so then it's not a strawman. Is the misquote a easily refutable postition? If not no strawman.
my understanding of debating hypothetical senarios is that one has to work in the confines of the original question. Any contribution from other relating to real world facts that have been not been endorsed by me as the original author of the question, are they considered "Straw Man". Or are a few select folk allowed to do what ever they please....
No. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here but in general the answer is no. It might be off topic if they change something you've written about the POD but even there if the POD isn't a reasonable one an argument could be made for allowing it.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 12 Jun 2010, 23:07

Okyzm wrote:
There will be no thread’s concerning WI Germany had won WW2 how would the world be different etc. Again they are to shallow and the complex nature and dynamics of such a thread would make it unworkable in reaching a feasible conclusion
Is this restriction in regards to general question, or are threads regarding possible realization of certain Nazi goals allowed ?
Hi

The restriction is one threads which have a basic premise that Germany won WW2 (whatever that truely means) and then we are asked to speculate as to what happens from that point on. As stated that line is to broad and shallow to achive any meaningful conclusion. Obviously you can begin threads on more specific campaigns & strategic issues that may well have lead to a German victory but not beyond that.

Regards

Andy H

Okyzm
Banned

Post by Okyzm » 12 Jun 2010, 23:12

Obviously you can begin threads on more specific campaigns & strategic issues that may well have lead to a German victory but not beyond that.
So I understand that I can post what-ifs on specific genocidal operations conducted by Germans in WW2?

Baltasar

Post by Baltasar » 13 Jun 2010, 20:59

Since you already have a very specific opinion about such events and surprisingly are only ever interested in such acts when they are commited by Nazi German forces, there's not much to be gained from such threads apart from polarizing members of the forum, getting threads closed and stirring up unrest up to a level of flamewar.

Okyzm
Banned

Post by Okyzm » 14 Jun 2010, 00:19

Since you already have a very specific opinion about such events and surprisingly are only ever interested in such acts when they are commited by Nazi German forces,
Why surprisingly? Being a member of "untermenschen" I am quite interested in German actions that could have resulted in extermination of my nation and other similiar victims. I studied them for a long time, and of course everybody has certain special interests. As to the rest-I would rather welcome an moderator answer.
there's not much to be gained from such threads apart from polarizing members of the forum
I see no reason for this to happen. If they are any deniers of Holocaust,Generalplan Ost, and other atrocities connected to Germany in WW2 then they won't serious members of this site.

Baltasar

Post by Baltasar » 14 Jun 2010, 00:59

Yet again, you chose not to adress the main concern of my post: You already have your opinion, so there is no point in starting a what if thread if you already are not open to other opinions. But since threads with your "participation" seem to be generally short lived for some reason or the other, that will probably not be too much of anybodys concern anyway.

Baltasar

Post by Baltasar » 14 Jun 2010, 01:00

Marcus Wendel wrote:
Troy Tempest wrote:Why has 1988 been selected for the cut-off point in history to discuss what-ifs? Is there a reason that Desert Storm is verboten?
The limit is simply this year minus 20 years.

/Marcus

Marcus, is this a general rule of the thumb? Could we for example discuss what could have happened if the political cadre and army of the GDR had opted to open fire upon demonstrations in 1989?

Marcus

Re: WI Guidelines & Time Expansion-PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Post by Marcus » 19 Jun 2010, 18:44

I'm not sure how I can make it any clearer, the limit is today minus 20 years. For further details on what types of threads are allowed, see the first post in this thread.

/Marcus

nebelwerferXXX

Re: WI Guidelines & Time Expansion-PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 22 Aug 2010, 01:03

Hello Marcus Wendel...Okay...I just follow the rules and I'm sorry. Thanks

Return to “What if”