Waffen-Junkerschulen and non-germanic volunteers.

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Hallstatt

Waffen-Junkerschulen and non-germanic volunteers.

Post by Hallstatt » 18 Apr 2008, 11:49

In june 1944, three Waffen-Junkerschulen were specially opened for non-germanic volunteers in the Waffen-SS. Before june 1944, only SS-Junkerschulen existed.
- SS-Junkerschule Klagenfurt renamed the 1 june 1944 : SS- und Waffen-Junkerschule Klagenfurt ;
-SS-und Waffen-Unterführerschule Laibach the 27.8.1944;
- SS-und Waffen-Unterführerschule Westpreußen (Slagelse) the 1 june 1944.
Himmler said in 1944 that these Schulen were for those who are strangers to his race ( i suppose nordic-germanic race ).
All i know is that the spanish volunteers in the Waffen-SS were formed in the Waffen-Junkerschule Klagenfurt.
( Spanische-Freiwilligen-Kompanie der SS 101 was formed in Klagenfurt, Austria, Sep 1944 ).
So, non-germanic volunteers were discrimined till the end of war. No only, they had no real ss ranks ( for example, waffen-oberstürmfuhrer for non-germanics versus SS-oberstürmfuhrer for germanics . But, two exceptions for non-germanic volunteers: the Walloons and the Finnishes ).
I would know who, except the spanish volunteers, were formed in theses Waffen-Junkerschulen ? Roumanian volunteers ? Italian volunteers ? Bulgarian volunteers ? French volunteers ? Russian volunteers ? Baltic volunteers ? Ukrainian volunteers ?
Thank you for your help.

RolandP

Re: Waffen-Junkerschulen and non-germanic volunteers.

Post by RolandP » 18 Apr 2008, 21:07

Dear Hallstatt,
not only the SS-Junkerschule Klagenfurt, the SS-Junkerschule Braunschweig in Posen-Treskau was renamed Waffen-Junkerschule in 1944, too!
These were the officer schools; the
SS-und Waffen-Unterführerschule Laibach, former Posen-Trekau, and the new created
SS-und Waffen-Unterführerschule Westpreußen (Reckow near Bütow) were schools for the non-commissioned officers of the Waffen-SS

There were special courses for Baltic volunteers (Estonians) at SS-Junkerschule Tölz from End of 1942 until 1943, and reserve officer courses (Estonians, Latvians) at SS-Pz.Gren.Schule Kienschlag/Prosetschnitz in 1944/45.

Italian volunteers had a officers course at Kienschlag in 1944 as well, I know that Bulgarian officers were sent to a courses there, too, I think in 1945.
Frensh officer candidates were at Tölz first, than there reserve officer course was send to Kienschlag in 1944, they were at the “ weapon schools” as SS-Artilleriy school II Beneschau, SS-Pz.Jäg. (StuGesch.) school Janowitz on SS-training ground as well.

Italian volunteers should be trained at SS-Unterführerschule Lauenburg in 1944.

The second non-commissioned officer course at Waffen-Unterführerschule Westpreußen in the end of 1944 until the disbandment of this school in early 1945 should be held for Latvians, Ukrainian, and Frensh candidates …. But the first course at this school was for Germans only!!!

I had no information about the training of Russian or Rumanian officers or non-commissioned officers.

The Spanish Volunteer Companies 101 und 102 were formed by the Wehrmacht:
The Stellv.Gen.Kdo.XVII.A.K. (Wehrkreiskommando XVII), Wien/Vienna, ordered on January 26 1945
Bezug: OKH/Chef H.Rüst.u.B.d.E/AHA/Stab Ia (3) Nr.5761/45 geh. v. 23.1.45
Betr.: Aufstellung von span.Freiw.Kpen und Auflösung des Freiw.E.u.A.Btl.(span.)
concerning the formation of Freiw.Kompanien 101 und 102 (spanisch), that this comapanies should be build by kroat.Ausb.Brigade until January 30th 1945 in Stockerau from Freiw.Ausb.Btl. (span)., so not in Klagenfurt!

Regards yours Roland

Hallstatt

Post by Hallstatt » 19 Apr 2008, 12:00

Hi Roland,
on can read everywhere that in september 1944, one company of Spanish " Brandenburgers " was sent to Austria where it was integrated into the Waffen- SS and designated the " Spanische- Freiwilligen -Kompanie der SS 101. " This unit was assigned to the 28th Waffen-SS Division " Wallonien ". Some people say that it was in Klagenfurt , like in this site.
What do you think about that ?
Cordially, Roland.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 19 Apr 2008, 12:32

Askold

Post by Askold » 19 Apr 2008, 16:39

Ukrainians went to number of SS schools but vast majority ended up in Junkerschule Braunschweig in Posen-Treskau. I put online the memuars from one of its members and they are quite interesting (unfortunately in Ukrainian only) - for example the future officers were trained in horseback riding, music, fencing or practicing saluting with official SS sword.

A group from Braunschweig school, note the JS abbreviation on some of the boards.
Attachments
junkershule 1.jpg
junkershule 1.jpg (120.84 KiB) Viewed 6494 times

Hallstatt

Post by Hallstatt » 19 Apr 2008, 17:05

Thank you Jan-Hendrik. So, it was formed in Tyrol if i have well understood.

Here is an extract of the speech of Himmler, the 24.5.1944 ( Sonthofen ) :

Les peuples européens viennent à nous, les Lettons et les Estoniens, les Galiciens, les Bosniaques, Croates et Albanais, peuples qui font partie du Reich depuis longtemps ou depuis peu, et qui vivent en Europe. Les Lettons et les Estoniens sont incorporés dans les divisions, les divisions dites de la Waffen-SS. Les jeunes Estoniens et Lettons suivent les cours de nos écoles de sous-officiers, vont dans les Junkerschulen germaniques s'ils correspondent à nos critères raciaux, et - sans vouloir les blesser - dans les Waffenjunkerschulen lorsqu'ils sont étrangers à notre race.

European peoples come to us, the Letts and the Estonians, Galicians, Bosnians, Croats and Albanians, peoples who are a part of Reich for a long time or recently, and who live in Europe. The Letts and the Estonians are incorporated into the divisions, the divisions said der Waffen-SS. The young Estonians and the Letts are formed in our non-commissioned officers' schools, go to Germanic Junkerschulen if they correspond to our racial criteria, and - without wanting to hurt them - in Waffenjunkerschulen when they are foreign to our race.

I have the impression that waffen-junkerschulen is a taboo subject and that the WWII writers are little informed on this point, maybe in order to maintain the myth of an european waffen ss, whithout racial discriminations between european peoples ( the ss-ranks discrimination is voluntarily put under silence), while it had vocation to become world ( in 1944, Gottlob Berger had suggested to Himmler to create SS- police- regiments with Senegaleses and Indo-Chineses), without forgetting Turkestanis and Volga Tatars in the waffen-SS.

RolandP

Post by RolandP » 20 Apr 2008, 14:33

Dear Hallstatt,

unfortunately, I can´t confirm the formation of the SS-Kompanie 101 in September, I have no information about the assembling in the Klagenfurt area, after Georg Tessin, the spanisch SS-Kompanien 101 and 102 , field post number 08 273, were mentioned after February 1945?!

But I´m lacking detailed information about this unit, f. e. concerning the Spanish volunteers with „Brandenburg“, I have the information from A.J. Munoz, Forgotten legion, page 198, that 8.Kompanie II. Bataillon 3.Regiment “BR” consist of Spanish men and was part of the so called “Streifkorps Biscaya” as part of “Streifkorps Südfrankreich” ..
After the formation of the Pz.Gren.Division “Brandenburg” parts of the former units were send to the SS-Jagdverbände, the “Streifkorps Südfrankreich” should be renamed SS-Jagdverband “Südwest”, but there were no further information about the Spanish volunteers in this unit. :(

I don´t think, that “Waffen-Junkerschulen is a taboo subject”, but confirm the statement, “ that the WWII writers are little informed on this point” because of lacking any detailed information about these schools and the training units as well. :wink:
I am looking for information about these parts of the Waffen-SS for nearly ten years now, and you are able to get fragments of information only, you had to combine to try to get a get a kind of chronicle of them. The divisions and combat units were matters of interest of authors, but not the schools (with exception of JS Tölz) and the training units.

But it is a interesting point of view to mention “ racial discriminations between European peoples ( the SS-ranks discrimination is voluntarily put under silence)”, I haven’t think about this so far, but concerning the SS-order , you are right!!!

I noticed the mentioned planned formation of units from Senegalese and Indo-Chinese, proposed by the chief of SS-HA, SS-OGruf.a.Gen.d.W-SS Gottlob Berger, DerReichsführer-SS, Chef des SS-Hauptamtes, CdSSHA/Be./We. VS-Tgb.Nr. 606/44 g.Kdos v. 14.7.1944, and it seems, that the HSSPF Frankreich and the Wehrmachtsführungsstab had agreed to this plans, but with the German retreat from France, these plan were give up. 8-)

Dear Askold,
is it possible, to get a brief summarizing from the memoirs of the Ukrainian absolvent of Junkerschule Braunschweig in Posen-Treskau, f. e. concerning the mentioned officers and teachers in his course and the dates he gave, to identify his course?! I am not able to translate Ukrainian language, so I had to ask for some help!!!

The first Waffen-Junker from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungaria and Ukrainia seems to have absolved the 16.Kriegs-Junker-Lehrgang Braunschweig from July 15th until December 15th 1944 within the VI.Inspektion, SS-Hauptsturmführer Herbert Pollmer (?), with two Junkerschaften …

:roll: Regards yours Roland

Askold

Post by Askold » 23 Apr 2008, 03:18

Hi Roland,

I will try my best to pick up the key points. Here is the actuall book by the way and there is a chapter on Junkerschulle-Braunsweig school:

http://lib.galiciadivision.com/ovad/

- Arrived on June 15 and stayed untill December 15, 1944.
- The famous school was moved to Posen after it was bombed by the Allies
- divided into different Junkerschafts. Living quarters were located in former women monastery near Warta river.
- few meters away was the HQ of the school, which was led by general Baliauf 9?)
Баляуфа
- Commander Inspector was Ushtuf Kempke, Ukrainian Junkershaft was commanded by Ushtuf Salge (Zalge?)
Командиром інспекції був уштуф Кемпке, а нашим юнкершафтом командував уштуф Зальґе,
- Because Zalge loved to use the word "Toifel" he was known in school as "Toifel" - Devil.
- Ushtuf Kempke was a good man, awarded by German cross (not sure which cross they mean) and this meant that he was a cripple. Once he was commanding the junkershaft under the rain - to make the soldiers feel equal, he removed his own raincoat too.
- The breakfasts were as usual, however the dinner was along with the school instructors. Four people were seated per table, tables were covered with white-cloths, along with all the silverware. Food was served by kelners.
- bicycles were handed out.
- Fencing lessons were conducted but not with the standard Wehmarch issue sword but with a rapier will allthe SS symbols on it to show that we belonged to Waffen SS, so called "degen".
- showed some very basic auto and motor works.
- spent way more time on training with the horses - this was difficult for those who were city-kids. The volunteers from the country-side had plenty of fun though.
- The Usha who was training with the horses was from Slesk and spoke some polish when was needed.
- The school's commander realy loved riding horses but raced his favorite horse to death. It was said that that happend before.
- Especial attention was paid to tactics - special "sandkarten" (sandmaps) were used with model tanks and hills. Also military legal law was thought along with weapon and tank training.
- Weltenshauli-heshulung? World-view? was thaught by Ushtuf vonPaleske. It started with Eugenics and what would happen if black and white rabbits were to be mixed.
- The insructor mentioned that "East will be ruled by German sword and plow" - this caused quite a discussion and the instructor tried to soften the political overtones afterwards.
- Arrived at 15 July but month later first exams were on August 1st. Those who passed were raised to WAffen Junker, and all those who failed were sent back to division.
- 1st of September was raised to Waffen Standartenjunker.
- Soldiers secretly listened to BBC from London although that was forbidden. Sturmbanfuhrer Ditze (Dize?) stated that he knew soldiers were listening to BBC, and said that they as future fuhrers can make thier own decision on the enemy boadcasting, being mature enough to spot the propaganda.
- The middle person between Ukrainians and the school as Ushtuf Bohdan Pidhajnyj.
- after the examps soliders received officer boots and Sauer type pistols used by SS (all expances taken from soldiers paycheqs, but Junkers also received money raise )
- some duties involved guarding the prison cells where they kept few German junkers and secretaries because they helped the Germans cheat on the tests)
- for swim soldiers went to large indoor pool in Posen.
- While on trip to Posen soldiers often visited Ukrainian House.
- Constant competition with Fenrichs (junkers) from Wehrmacht who got to wear swords and were showing them off.
- favorite joke was to sit next to Polish girls and listen as they would say how much they wanted the "kill the damm Germans slowly with dull knives". Ukrainians would then answer the girls in perfect Polish to see the terrified reaction.
- Waffenjunker Palij was a big fan of Niche, when school commander saw him reading Niche's works, he invited him over and had some conversations.
- Another favorite joke was to listen to Polish propaganda on BBC, turn off the lights and pretend to be the Polish Partisans - this joke was cought by Ushtuf Salge( Zalge?)
- Writen examps included questions like "how thick is the front plate of Tiger tank armor".
- All school received two weeks break to Berlin on December 15th.
- before the break everyone got promoted to Standartenoberjunker. This was more "work" as everyone had to put extra tresse around thir collars.
- Some of Ukrainians had relatives in Gotha and Erfurt so they went there....

Hope this helps!

RolandP

Post by RolandP » 23 Apr 2008, 09:39

Dear Askold,
big thanks for the interesting and detailed report about the 16.KJL at SS-Junkerschule Braunschweig in Posen-Treskau!!!! I found a similar report by Volodymyr Motyka in the Michael Logusz book about the Ukrainian division from Schiffer publication, pages 173 - 173, an page 465, Anm.57, 58, 59 only, but without any hints for the german leaders or teachers!!!

The mentioned Inspektion leader seems to be the SS-Ostuf. Karlheinz Kemcke (written “Kempcke” in John P.Moores Führerliste, s.a Krätschmer, Ritterkreuzträger, S. 990, Deutsche Kreuz in Gold), he won the German Cross in Gold, later with SS-Waffen-Junkerschule Klagenfurt. .. maybe he was seriously wounded in action?!
There is a Hstuf. Alfred Kempka mentioned in a german book “Die letzten Junker aus Treskau” by Rudolf Kuntzsch …. But it is strange, that this officer seems to led the first company of SS-Instandsetzungs-Abt. LSSAH in Juli 1944 …. :?

Ustuf. Günther Salge seems to be the Junkerschaft leader, because a “Zalge” is unknown to John P.Moore in his Führerliste …

The teacher for Weltanschauliche Erziehung WE seems to be the SS-Ustuf. Joachim von Paleske …. And the SS-Stubaf “Ditze” seems to be the Lehrgruppen commander, SS-Ostubadf. Bernhard Dietsche!!!! :D

Your wonderful report is a very good source for new aspects concerning the command rooster of SS-JS Braunschweig in 1944, and I wouldn´t have noticed them, because I am not able to read the side mentioned by you!!! So I´m glad that you took the time to translate it!!! :wink:

Regards yours Roland

Peter J. Hertel

Post by Peter J. Hertel » 23 Apr 2008, 16:40

Hi Roland,

SS and Arms Junker School Klagenfurt

By order of the SS-FHA, a new school for the Waffen SS officers trainees called "SS Junker School Klagenfurt" was founded 1 July 1943 in Klagenfurt-Lendorf. On 1 June 1944 it was renamed "SS and Arms Junker School Klagenfurt" and it was for the development and training of German and non-Germanic officer applicants.

It was organized as one (1) Training Group with four (4) Inspektionen, each with three (3) Junkerschaften. In January 1945 the Junkerschaften were re-organized and there were three (3) Inspektionen.

As a result of constnat air attacks, the school was partly evacuated. The instruction course which began on 10 April 1945 consisted of six (6) Inspektionen, of which one was for foreigners wiht 30 senior officer cadets of the Croat Ustascha. On 20 April 1945, the course training was discontinued and the course participants were sent off to join field units of the Waffen SS fighting in Austria. On 29 April 1945, a battle group was formed from the instruction personnel who were still there, with the task of blocking the canal valley.

On 8 May 1945, the battle group withdrew and capitulated.

On 9 May 1945, English troops rearmed the battle group and an all-round defense against Yugoslavian partisan units, was prepared.

Source :- "Militärischer Führernachwuchs der Waffen-SS — die Junkerschulen", Schulze-Kossens, Richard, 1987.

All the best,
Peter

RolandP

Post by RolandP » 23 Apr 2008, 19:35

Dear Peter,
thanks for your summary about SS- and Waffen-Junkerschule Klagenfurt from Schulze-Kossens, I used this book as the backbone of my research about the schools of the Waffen-SS, in the meantime, f. e., I got some very good additional information about Klagenfurt school from BA-MA Freiburg, N 756 the Vopersal archive ...
But I had to realize, that the "famous" schools as Tölz and Braunschweig as well are lacking detailed reports about the courses in the early years and concerning Braunschweig, about the whole time of existence ... Tölz had a kind of "chronicle" with the Schulze-Kossens book, but no one wrote about Braunschweig except Rudolf Kuntzsch mentioning only a short history and the 16th and 20th Kriegsjunkerlehrgang 1944-45 until the disbandment of this school. :wink:

Regards yours Roland

Askold

Post by Askold » 25 Apr 2008, 16:15

Glad to help Roland!

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 27 Apr 2008, 10:52

Thanks for your effort translating this much interesting material into english language! 8-)

Jan-Hendrik

Askold

Post by Askold » 02 May 2008, 07:09

Came across a pic of Junkerschulle with a "tactical sandbox" that was mentioned in the memuars:

waffen-IDF

Ustuf. Gunther Salge

Post by waffen-IDF » 28 Dec 2009, 13:29

The mentioned Inspektion leader seems to be the SS-Ostuf. Karlheinz Kemcke (written “Kempcke” in John P.Moores Führerliste, s.a Krätschmer, Ritterkreuzträger, S. 990, Deutsche Kreuz in Gold), he won the German Cross in Gold, later with SS-Waffen-Junkerschule Klagenfurt. .. maybe he was seriously wounded in action?!
There is a Hstuf. Alfred Kempka mentioned in a german book “Die letzten Junker aus Treskau” by Rudolf Kuntzsch …. But it is strange, that this officer seems to led the first company of SS-Instandsetzungs-Abt. LSSAH in Juli 1944 …. :?

Ustuf. Günther Salge seems to be the Junkerschaft leader, because a “Zalge” is unknown to John P.Moore in his Führerliste …

Ustuf. 27.SS-Frw.Gren.Div Langemarck 2.45
SS:460797

Could anyone esle privode more info on this officer. Like his DoB, Place of Birth, when he was commisioned etc.Thanks.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”