Knight's Cross Holders Identification

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
bake

Re: Knight's Cross Holders Identification

Post by bake » 30 Jul 2008, 21:26

Hi Ruslan M,

120160399.jpg unknown RK holder with Estonian
It's Wilhelm Eggemann Futur Eichenlaubträger.

bake

Post by bake » 30 Jul 2008, 21:31

Thank's Harmel for the I.D.

New RK from KM with Karl Dönitz
Attachments
KM RK.jpg
Herbert Kuppisch / AHF id
KM RK.jpg (23.46 KiB) Viewed 4058 times

bake

Post by bake » 30 Jul 2008, 21:37

Same source

Another KM RK or the same ?
Attachments
wet5ey5.jpg
Engelbert Endraß / AHF id
wet5ey5.jpg (21.6 KiB) Viewed 3920 times

harmel

Post by harmel » 30 Jul 2008, 23:58

Hi Bake super id on Eggemann.brilliant!.
taken as KC holder,on the right with glasses is the Cmdr of 32 ID.
GM Hans Boeckh-Behrens.
Harmel :D

John Toner

Post by John Toner » 31 Jul 2008, 03:18

The first Kriegsmarine RKT is Herbert Kuppisch

John

Ruslan M

Post by Ruslan M » 31 Jul 2008, 03:32

bake wrote:Hi Ruslan M,

120160399.jpg unknown RK holder with Estonian
It's Wilhelm Eggemann Futur Eichenlaubträger.
Excellent, many thanks Bake!! :)

robertmoore

Post by robertmoore » 01 Aug 2008, 03:10

Hello, All,

I am relatively new to this list, and have a couple of questions of those unidentified KC photos, plus an answer to a question for which I could not find an answer.

Here goes:

On page 11- the general shown in the photograph before a group of soldiers is oakleaf holder Generaloberst Walter Weiss

On page 12- who is the KC holder listed as 32jpg?

On page 13- who is the KC holder listed as 66jpg?

I am sure there are others, but I would be very interested in knowing who these two are.

Thank you very much for your help.

Terry Moore
Amarillo TX

John Toner

Post by John Toner » 01 Aug 2008, 05:53

In the second photo the two RKTs to the right may be from the same formation as Schreiber (left).
The first photo is said to have been taken in 1943. Who is the RKT? (source: Lexikon der Wehrmacht)

Thanks
John
Attachments
Oberleutnant 1943.JPG
Matthias Langmaier ? / AHF id
Oberleutnant 1943.JPG (37.47 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
Schreiber & who.JPG
l to r : Josef Schreiber - Josef Liebenwein - Emil Roßhart / AHF id
Schreiber & who.JPG (76.43 KiB) Viewed 3820 times

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 01 Aug 2008, 08:14

Schreiber & who:
From left Oberfeldwebel Schreiber (St.Rgt. 141), Oberleutnant Liebenwein and Oberfeldwebel Roßhardt (both St.Rgt. 195)

Dieter Z.

John Toner

Post by John Toner » 01 Aug 2008, 09:14

Thank you very much. Were those formations part of the same Division?
John

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 01 Aug 2008, 16:05

RKT next to Willibald Utz was most likely Franz Weller, Kmdr 54 JgRgt, before he won the EL. 100 JgDiv was wiped out in Stalingrad, reformed in Croatia and Utz was in command until 9.2.45. There were not many field officers that earned RK from this division. Two from 227 JgRgt: Heger, not him and Josef Wagner won it after Utz had left.

I have only seen three pics of Weller, never full length shots so the height of this man is unknown to me. Otherwise everything else fits. Ears, general facial features, no spange to EK, no DKiG and Jg sleeve badge, way he wore his Inf Assault Badge

Cheers
Freiherr

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 01 Aug 2008, 16:43

Hi Terry/Robert Moore,

on PP 11, if you were referring to the general in front of a bunch of Grossdeutschland soldiers, then it was Fromm. Walter Weiss was a very slight man. It has been 6 years and I have learned a few things especially from experts here at this forum.

Cheers
Freiherr

robertmoore

Post by robertmoore » 01 Aug 2008, 23:25

robertmoore wrote:
robertmoore wrote:Hello, again, all,

On PP 29, there seemed to be some confusion about the RK-träger listed as iden4.jpg. as perhaps being one of three possibilities.

Without a doubt that is a picture of Gerhard Schurreit. I corresponded with his son and it was his son who sent me that pic of his father.

Hope this helps.

Terry
robertmoore wrote:Hello, again,

On PP 32, there is a posting of three pix of an unknown RKT which list him as an "unidentified demolitions RKT". I do not know if he has subsequently been identified, but I would venture to suggest it is Egon Aghta, who is the only one save for Oberfeldwebel Siegfried Rieger, who were awarded the KC for that particular specialty.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Hello, Fangio and others,

On PP 28, you had asked for a translation of the German caption located at the top of the photograph depicting Helmut Lent's casket as it was being carried past Hermann Göring. This pic is listed as Lent, Helmut-Oblnt-Jpeg.

I am not certain that it was not translated for you, but in case it wasn't, I offer you my translation of it:

First-Lieutenant Helmut Lent died a flier's death. Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring at the act of State for the deceased master of night fighting.

Hope this helps.

On PP 29, listed as who5.jpg is Otto Starosta. I don't know if this one was ever identified.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Terry
robertmoore wrote:
Hello, Freiherr,

Many thanks for the post to me and I appreciate your comment. It never occurred to me that that pic could been of General Fromm, since he was head of the Replacement Army, and I have a different view of that same pic, and the formal portrait photo I have of Weiss fits the description of the general officer stading before those troops.

Please understand I am not trying to dispute what you say. I will look at it again to be certain, and Heaven's knows, I can make mistakes.

As you mention, the expertise here on this thread is amazing. Many of the pix I have seen here to be identified, I have seen for the first time, and I thought I had seen them all. I have been into this since 1978 and have amassed a huge collection of autographed photos and documents over the years.

Again, thank you very much for your post to me and I look forward to adding my "two-cents" from time to time.

If you or the others have any idea as to the two I was asking about, I would appreciate any help with those. There are others, I am sure, but these would be a great help.

Thanks, again, Freiherr and I go by Terry.

Take care.

Terry
robertmoore wrote:Hello, again, all,

On PP 29, there seemed to be some confusion about the RK-träger listed as iden4.jpg. as perhaps being one of three possibilities.

Without a doubt that is a picture of Gerhard Schurreit. I corresponded with his son and it was his son who sent me that pic of his father.

Hope this helps.

Terry
robertmoore wrote:Hello, again,

On PP 36 there is a pic listed as unkn. (Georg-Wilhelm Schöning). I do not think this was identified, but if it has been subsequently, I apologize.

This is a picture of Lothar Neunhoeffer, Major at the time of the award. His widow sent that pic of him to me.

Also, John had mentioned that he was vaguely aware that Elimar Meyer-Wehner was a pilot in the Eben-Emael operation to crack the Maginot Line. I would offer a correction.

Elimar Meyer-Wehner was a glider pilot in the attempt to rescue Benito Mussolini in September 1943 at the Gran Sasso Sports Hotel in Abruggi Mountains of Italy. It was hís glider, carrying the troops, including Skorzeny, which liberated the dictator. It was the fact that he landed his glider closest to the hotel at the time which allowed the Germans to facilitate the rescue. Both Meyer and Gerlach received their KC awards from the hands of General Kurt Student.

I interviewed the pilot of the Fieseler Storch, Hauptmann Heinrich Gerlach, shortly before he died and heard the whole story from him along with pix he had of the entire operation.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Terry
Hello, again,

On PP 43 there is a listing of three KC holders, I do not think were identified, and if so, I apologize for going over old ground, but under the listing of identity 12, 11 and 10, the id´s are:

identity 12 - Oberst Alfred Haase
identity 11- Hauptmann Erich Schneider
identity 10-Leutnant Ernst Orzegowski

Hope this helps.

Terry

bake

Post by bake » 02 Aug 2008, 01:23

From Ebay
Attachments
45.JPG
Id: Otto Eske
45.JPG (19.76 KiB) Viewed 3626 times

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 02 Aug 2008, 01:35

PP 194 posted by Bake - 06068.jpg. Stug RKT was martin Buhr, kmdr 202 StugBr fighting in Kiev in late 1943 and attached to 7 Pz. Of all the Corp commaders in ArmyGr South, the most likely candidate was v Esebeck of LVII Pz Corp. I would have gone for Hell too, except he was in HrGr Mitte. XXIV Pz Korp kmdr Heidkämper was made GenMj after Buhr got his RK.

Cheers
Freiherr

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”