Knight's Cross Holders Identification

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
robertmoore

Re: Knight's Cross Holders Identification

Post by robertmoore » 25 Apr 2009, 05:46

Hello, Bernd,

SMO 667 on page 258 is a depiction of Dr. jur. Stefan Dittrich.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Terry

John Toner

Post by John Toner » 25 Apr 2009, 07:32

The second RKT with Vietinghoff is Alfred-Hermann Reinhardt.

John

joerg

Post by joerg » 25 Apr 2009, 09:32

graveland:
The general in your first pic with VIETINGHOFF looks like GEORG STUMME.

Someone from Kharkov

Post by Someone from Kharkov » 25 Apr 2009, 09:35

The last pics from http://hotlinecy.com/smcollection.htm

A question about Stützle: as far as I know, his name was Nepomuk, but on the photo we can see "Johann". Has he changed the name after war?
Attachments
SM0688.jpg
Gerhard Gutmacher / AHF id
SM0688.jpg (33 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
Nepomuk Stutzle.jpg
Johann Nepomuk Stützle - death obituary and gravesone provide both christian names this way
Nepomuk Stutzle.jpg (20.26 KiB) Viewed 3261 times

Bernd R

Post by Bernd R » 25 Apr 2009, 12:12

Someone from Kharkov,
he had a double christian name / two christian names. The new bible, Scherzer, RKT has him -> (Johann-)Nepomuk ; this genealogical site has him [ordinary in german] just -> Johann Nepomuk.
http://stuetzle-ahnen.der-coaching-verb ... e/1740.htm

For completion - Stützle is a typical case if you consider the so-called "Dönitz-Erlass" legal or not - further details about the three from Pz.Jg.Ers.Abt. "GD" / attached to Pz.Div. "Clausewitz" ; quote from the awardholders/unit sticky [per Scherzer] :
Anding, Friedrich 08.05.1945 Leutnant Adjutant Pz.Jäg.[Ersatz-]Abt „GD“
[Adjutant of Walle ; was proposed together with his Kdr and the Kdr-Fahrer Stützle for the destruction of more than 20 tanks and recon vehicles on 14./15.04.1945 by OB Nordwest via three seperate proposals ; his awarding procedure was unfinished at war's end as well as the ones of Walle and Stützle but he was awarded the KC based on a DKiG proposal dated 01.05.1945 [!] which was changed into a KC procedure because the DKiG Sachbearbeiter recognized that A. had destroyed 6 tanks with Panzerfaust -> officially awarded : procedure via Oberst Goecke / Keitel / Dönitz]

Unofficial / Unconfirmed
Stützle, (Johann-)Nepomuk 08.05.1945 Obergefreiter i. d. Pz.Jäg.[Ersatz-]Abt „GD“
[proposal presumably was sent via Fernschreiben, is not existing anymore ; HPA proposal was prepared for signing ; supported by OB Nordwest and Chef HPA/A ; signature of Dönitz is lacking ; accepted by OdR in accordance with so-called "Dönitz-Erlass"]

Walle, Gustav 08.05.1945 Major Kdr Pz.Jäg.[Ersatz-]Abt „GD“
[proposal arrived at HPA/A on 02.05.1945 (destruction of 9 tanks with Panzerfaust) ; no hints in the files about a handling or an ordinary procedure resulting in an award ; FRG Ministry of Defense wasn't able to find a confirmation for an award (1963) ; on a KC-proposal list of IIa/OB Nordwest W. is crossed out with the remark : "verl." [without date] -> most probable meaning = "verliehen" which is a hint on an award indeed; accepted by OdR in accordance with so-called "Dönitz-Erlass" ; award date determined by Fellgiebel]
/ Bernd

Bernd R

Post by Bernd R » 25 Apr 2009, 12:17

Hi FANGIO,
I hope you don't mind. I have deleted your first pic, see edit and id within your post. To avoid double pics - from the BA/wikipedia series especially - I will delete those (identical pic in the same quality) we had already. As long as the requests are answered and the pic is available all should be satisfied I think.

Thanks, Bernd

John Toner

Post by John Toner » 25 Apr 2009, 12:26

SMO688 is Gerhard Gutmacher.

John

chris44

Post by chris44 » 25 Apr 2009, 13:06

Hi Bernd!

concerning Stützle!

On his notice of death and on this gravestone
both names are mentioned. JOHANN NEPOMUK STÜTZLE

regards

Chris

Bernd R

Post by Bernd R » 25 Apr 2009, 13:08

With the recent id of Max Ropp I think it is solved what was / could be called the Max Ropp/Einhart Malguth case which had his story through the pages 17,28,50. Another very old request down on page 17 and if there is no objection the captions and the index will be as follows (done now) :
Max Ropp , originally requested on page 17
Einhart Malguth , definitively (per Federls book)
and end of story on page 50 with another Ropp autograph.

/ Bernd

PS: thanks Chris for this further and detailed info !

chris44

Post by chris44 » 25 Apr 2009, 13:18

Hi

Page 226 and Page 260
picture from Bundesarchiv
1011-089-3779-07 Russland_Feldwebel_mit-Orden

is

OTTO LOOSE

regards
chris

chris44

Post by chris44 » 25 Apr 2009, 13:34

Hi Bernd!
concerning Heinz Herzer

I dont know if it helps....

His widow stated in a letter to Zentralnachweisstelle Kornelimünster in 1968

My husband was KIA on 7.Sept 1944 in Warsaw
his last address was:

Leutnant Heinz Herzer
Kampfgruppe Reinefarth 3d
Kutno

regards
Chris

Bernd R

Post by Bernd R » 25 Apr 2009, 14:10

Many thanks Chris ! First you know nothing about a pic for years, then you learn a lot. Though not clear if eventually assigned to the Kgr. Reinefarth staff or in fact member of the mysterious and short-lived Pz.Gren.Btl. von Schöning it's a heavy piece to the puzzle. As I'm primarily was looking for a connection of the Btl. to a higher headquarter of the troops involved in the suppression of the Warsaw uprising this appears nearly secure now (with details lacking). Sorry, all, for going a short step off-topic.

Best regards
Bernd

supplement : one of the oldest - head 1, p. 5 - down, too : Heinz Herzer - close-up

Bernd R

Post by Bernd R » 25 Apr 2009, 15:01

Being on the second round review here is again another case ; still open / confusing, to me at least.
My intro once :
we might call this the Fritz Faust case .
The original request by Elwyn was on page 53 : mysterious1.jpg
The reaction on page 58 http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 13#p586413 came with three pics and the id of Fritz Faust. First pic we now have as Franz Mosler. The two mysterious pics re-posted there are open and we see not Fritz Faust at all :roll: ??
because it was pointed out correctly by Denis IMO
I am not sure that the 2 last photo of the same guy (as Uffz then Fw.) might be attributed to Fritz Faust.
According to Biblio Verlag, Faust's highest rank was Ogfr. If this point is confirmed, this would prevent us from assigning both pics to Faust
nopoop wrote :
The NCO is Fritz Faust. A Gefreiter MG 1 Schütze of the 3./Infanterie Regiment 26. First enlisted soldier in the entire division to recieve the RK.

If you can give me ANY information on what EBay board the photos are being offered or who offered them it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have a small grouping of Faust's medals/photos with a copy of the RK award announcement and those two photos would be a FANTASTIC addition.
and in reaction to Denis :
Denis finding information has proved difficult. So I'm working from the photo evidence in this case. I'm researching, but so far all I know is he died in 1970.

If you examine the published photo of Faust and concentrate on a few things for comparison. The ears, the broken nose, the furrel between the eye brows, the eyebrows themselves, the lips. The early published photo is before awarding the RK. He's thin..very thin.

The ears are a match, as is the nose. It's the same guy with some weight. I have a very small frontal shot of him standing in the snow and it's a dead ringer for the lighter of the two photos posted ( he wasn't thin )

Another interesting tidbit is both of the newer photos show a black wound badge. The copy of the RK award announcement I have makes reference to receiving a wound on the 6th of February 42. I have no history beyond the awarding of the RK.

What is something to think about is this. He survived the war. As a Ogfr and before he recieved the IK2, IK1, Infrantry Assault badge, Russian Front medal ( probably the Black wound badge ) and the Knights Cross.

I would submit he would have been promoted. ( especially after reading the acts of heroism and leadership he was recognised for in the RK ) I think were looking at two promotion photos. The first no doubt shortly after being awarded the RK.

Something about a no name Feldwebel giving orders to a low rank Obergefreiter that has all that Iron hung on his uniform wouldn't wash in any army that I know of

That and every broken nose is different, those photos are of the same nose.

What do you think ??

I'm still diggin, no luck so far. I'll keep you posted.
Any new insights or final answers on that ?

/ Bernd

chris44

Post by chris44 » 25 Apr 2009, 16:39

Hi

the mysterious pictures on page 58
"about Fritz Faust"

should be both

WILLI PIEPER
Sanitätsfeldwebel
born 30.10.1912 Greifswalde
KIA 13.7.1943

Chris

FANGIO

Post by FANGIO » 25 Apr 2009, 20:36

robertmoore wrote:Hello, Fangio,
unk.rkt.ukraine offizier_der_Gebirgsjäger on Page 260 was already identified as Albert Graf von der Goltz.
Thanks once again Terry!
Bernd R wrote:Hi FANGIO,
I hope you don't mind. I have deleted your first pic, see edit and id within your post. To avoid double pics - from the BA/wikipedia series especially - I will delete those (identical pic in the same quality) we had already. As long as the requests are answered and the pic is available all should be satisfied I think.
No problem at all Bernd, and sorry for the double post.
Chris44 wrote:Page 226 and Page 260
picture from Bundesarchiv
1011-089-3779-07 Russland_Feldwebel_mit-Orden
is OTTO LOOSE
Thank you Chris!

Two more pics (hope they haven't been posted yet).
In the first one, who's the KM officer? (Bundesarchiv)
Second pic: unk, Nowotny, Rall, unk, unk ( http://www.fotosmilitares.org )
Attachments
Rommel Feuchtinger- Riva-Bella,_Vorführung_Panzerwerfer.jpg
Theodor Krancke to the left. Dollmann between Krancke and Rmmel, Walter Buhle at right / AHF id
Rommel Feuchtinger- Riva-Bella,_Vorführung_Panzerwerfer.jpg (63.41 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
unk Nowotny Rall unk (www.fotosmilitares.org).jpg
left to right : Hartmann Grasser - Walter Nowotny - Günther Rall - Heinrich Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein - probably Nicolaus von Below / AHF id
unk Nowotny Rall unk (www.fotosmilitares.org).jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 3022 times

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”