Translation Requests

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Akira Takizawa

Re: Translation Requests

Post by Akira Takizawa » 21 Jun 2010, 05:46

> and ask if anyone can identify Sachi 5742 Unit from the Philippines?

5742 means 33rd Independent Garrison Infantry Battalion of 10th Independent Garrison Unit on Mindanao. But, Sachi will be a mistake. It means 3rd Division.

> Also, what is the Japanese word given here as "Unit"?
部隊(Butai)

> Is it the same as is sometimes translated in a similar context as "Force" or even "Group"?
Yes. For example, 機甲部隊(Kiko Butai) is armored forces in English.

Taki

jjhartwell

Post by jjhartwell » 21 Jun 2010, 08:39

Taki,
In that case I assume the following was misinterpreted. I was told it was Hito dispatch, Sachi 5742 force. I can see the 5742 is correct. If not Sachi, what should it be?
Thanks once again,
John Hartwell
rsz_1rsz_1gyo004.jpg
rsz_1rsz_1gyo004.jpg (12.75 KiB) Viewed 786 times

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 21 Jun 2010, 12:15

Humm, it is "幸"(Sachi). So, it is not a mistranslation. As I said, Sachi means 3rd Division and it had never been to the Philippines (Hito). I cannot understand why it is written so.

Taki

stulev

Post by stulev » 21 Jun 2010, 14:04

SACHI 5742 was the 33 Infantry Battalion attached to the 3rd division (not the 33rd Independent Infantry Battalion as far as I can tell which was HARU 2983 and part of the 8th IMB and was in China but so was the 3rd division)

As this division had it's normal 3 Infantry Regiments(the 6th, 34th and 68th) and the coding system tended not to break down these regiments and the number 5742 ids not in the normal 3rd division sequence 3700 to 3720 - I am not sure if it was a battalion to reinforce the 3rd or a breakdown battalion from one of the regiments which may have been detached for special duty(though normally it would continue to carry the mother regiment code.) or maybe just an error in my listing.

Taki said it was a Independent Garrison Infantry Battalion which is vary possible from the Philippines(HITO dispatch) but why SACHI

Stuart

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 21 Jun 2010, 16:33

> SACHI 5742 was the 33 Infantry Battalion attached to the 3rd division (not the 33rd Independent Infantry Battalion as far as I can tell which was HARU 2983 and part of the 8th IMB and was in China but so was the 3rd division)

I said 33rd Independent Garrison Infantry Battalion. It is the different unit from 33rd Independent Infantry Battalion of 8th IMB.

> As this division had it's normal 3 Infantry Regiments(the 6th, 34th and 68th) and the coding system tended not to break down these regiments and the number 5742 ids not in the normal 3rd division sequence 3700 to 3720 - I am not sure if it was a battalion to reinforce the 3rd or a breakdown battalion from one of the regiments which may have been detached for special duty(though normally it would continue to carry the mother regiment code.) or maybe just an error in my listing.

If it is correct, 33rd Independent Garrison Infantry Battalion would be formed at 3rd Division. So, it had 3rd Division code of Sachi at first.

Taki

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 21 Jun 2010, 21:19

Entry for 10th Independent Garrison Unit in 帝国陸軍編制総覧 briefly says it was formed in Nagoya and Kyoto. 'Nagoya' here meant Nagoya Shikan, i.e. Gifu, Aichi and Shizuoka prefecture. 3rd division was from Nagoya Shikan.
I found a page for 32nd Independent Garrison Infantry Battalion. It was raised in the reserve unit of 34th regiment, 3rd division.
http://www.geocities.jp/bane2161/dokuho164daitai.html

10th Independent Garrison Unit became 30th IMB, and lastly 100th division. It is not clear from when they used their own character 拠 (old style 遽). Soldiers might have been told at first, for hte time being as a reserve unit of 3rd division they should use 幸.

jjhartwell

Post by jjhartwell » 21 Jun 2010, 23:09

The line of text that began this thread was from a message sent by a soldier named Fujita, to is family back home in Gifu. I have really enjoyed seeing this all come together. Thank you all, Taki, Stuart, Hisashi, for your contributions.
Regards,
John H.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 22 Jun 2010, 00:17

Help needed here.War dead?Chinese?
Attachments
dead.jpg
dead.jpg (177.84 KiB) Viewed 751 times

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 22 Jun 2010, 03:24

The text reads
Corpses on the shore of pond in Asakusa Park. Photo taken in 1 Sep 1923.
Those were victims of Great Kanto Earthquake in Asakusa, Tokyo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_Great ... earthquake

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 22 Jun 2010, 13:22

Thanks hisashi

Peter

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 23 Jun 2010, 12:32

Peter H wrote:Alcohol on hand
The banner at top left would seem to explain this group photo of proud troops. Can it be connected to the six men seated in the front rank, who are stripped down as if for an athletic competition?

What also are the inscriptions on these aircraft and ordnance, please?
Peter H wrote:Maintenance [(on a Mitsubishi G4M1)]
Peter H wrote:Paradropped supplies
Peter H wrote:Message on a bomb
Image[/quote]
Robert Hurst wrote:Kawasaki (KDA-2) Type 88-2 Reconnaissance Aircraft
Robert C. Mikesh & Shorzoe Abe, Japanese Aircraft 1910-1941 (Putnam Aeronautical Books, 1990), pages 146-147

-– Alan

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 24 Jun 2010, 17:29

Sewer King wrote: The banner at top left would seem to explain this group photo of proud troops. Can it be connected to the six men seated in the front rank, who are stripped down as if for an athletic competition?
The banner reads 'For the victory, 1st company'. It seems a pic after Sumo regimental competition, surrounding six representative wrestlers of the company.
What also are the inscriptions on these aircraft and ordnance, please?
報国-860 第一蒙古號
Houkokugo is an aircraft donated for the navy. '1st-mongol' seens one intended for te service in Inner Mongolia.

Messages on bombs says 'A gift for Chiang Kai-shek' and 'May the one hit the target'.

愛国 is a designation for an aircraft donated for the army. 小布施 is perhaps local donation from Obuse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obuse,_Nagano

帝生 is difficult to interpret but maybe donations from employees in 帝国生命 (Teikoku Mutual Life Insurance Co.), today Asahi Mutual Life Insurance Co.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asahi_Life

Peter H wrote:Message on a bomb
Image[/quote]
Robert C. Mikesh & Shorzoe Abe, Japanese Aircraft 1910-1941 (Putnam Aeronautical Books, 1990), pages 146-147

-– Alan[/quote]

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 24 Jun 2010, 22:54

Many thanks, hisashi!
hisashi wrote:...It seems a pic after Sumo regimental competition, surrounding six representative wrestlers of the company.
Most of the men are in "shirtsleeve dress" -- wearing white shirts as outerwear, as for warm weather(?) -- which made me imagine they were spectators at their company's competition. It resembles the German military wear of informal white uniforms to sports events, when not actually participating in them.

====================================
hisashi wrote:報国-860 第一蒙古號
Houkokugo is an aircraft donated for the navy. '1st-mongol' seens one intended for te service in Inner Mongolia.
I knew the G4M made its debut in China, but didn't know that they operated as far inland as that.

hisashi wrote:Messages on bombs says 'A gift for Chiang Kai-shek' and 'May the one hit the target'.
What is written on bombs can be especially interesting because they are freely composed and maybe not so controlled by crew chiefs and others. But, for several reasons it is not a good idea to stand bombs on their noses, even if they are not fused. Maybe these are unfilled bomb cases for the camera?

hisashi wrote:
愛国 is a designation for an aircraft donate[quoted for the army. 小布施 is perhaps local donation from Obuse.

帝生 is difficult to interpret but maybe donations from employees in 帝国生命 (Teikoku Mutual Life Insurance Co.), today Asahi Mutual Life Insurance Co.
Between the Navy bomber and these two Army scout planes, their inscriptions in parentheses was what made me curious. Presumably these kind of dedications were no longer done after a certain time, such as mid-war?

Whatever is inside, the airdropped crate looks like it was officially printed rather than inscribed, although the men look happy to get it.

-- Alan

jeeplover

Post by jeeplover » 12 Jul 2010, 16:57

not sure if this is in the right place but can someone translat this for me

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... 1110_2.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... 1110_1.jpg

thank you in advance

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 13 Jul 2010, 08:43

祝 celebrating
戦勝 victory
武運長久 may your lack in combat last forever
Those were stereotyped phrase for Hinomaru presented from his friends on mobilization.

東京 松永店員一同 Tokyo, from all employees of Matsunaga.
Apparently Matsunaga was the name of a firm/shop/restaurant. For example, the young son of Matsunaga's owner might went to war and the employees gave him a hinomaru.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”