Recommended reading on the SS & Polizei

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Re: Recommended reading on the SS & Polizei

Post by Georges JEROME » 28 Jan 2012, 14:13

Shane,

I suggest you :

For Europe. The French Volunteers of the Waffen-SS by Robert FORBES.
He is (for me) the best book upon the Charlemagne.

the second Paul/Mallmann
Die Gestapo mythos and realität

Georges

Georges

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 12 Mar 2012, 01:05

Proud owner since saturday of the "rare" pictural best book upon italian Waffen-SS
SENTIRE PENSARE VOLERE storia della Legione SS italiana by Sergio Corbatti and Maroc Nava
outstanding book (in italian) full of rare pictures, actions, organisation and leadership. 423 pages Ritter 2001
same authors published a four langages (italian, german, english and french) pictural book upon "karstjäger du SS-Karstwehr-Bataillon à la Waffen-Gebirgsdivision der SS". Most recommanded. How a so few know unit can revealed ALL with hundreds of pics. A Heimdal publication. 399 pages from 2009
They are both definitive books upon the subject.

Georges

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 12 Mar 2012, 12:40

might I suggest Georges book on the police
Phil Nix

greendzflash

Post by greendzflash » 13 Mar 2012, 21:09

hi all, my first real post apart fron the intro thread!!

i have just got my copy of FATAL CROSSROADS. by Danny parker.

if this is anything to go by i think his book on Peiper will be Epic.

whilst reading Fatal crossroads, i find myself flicking to the back to read the chapter notes all the time. they are a good read on their own!

Regards,

NN.

armskull

Post by armskull » 18 Mar 2012, 01:21

Greetings all.
I hope I am not out of place in recommending
TOTENKOPF TIGERS,by Wolfgang Schneider,published by JJ Fedorowicz.
A brief history of the creation and battles of the Tigers,plus many photos.
I find the captions are sometimes misplaced,but other than that,well done.

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 26 Jun 2012, 10:30

Pencz released a vastly expanded history of the 31st division. The "one and done" on the unit.

I also add George Nipe's recent book "Blood, Steel and Myth" (unknown if already posted)

Also, being a biographical and unit development researcher the new Theodor Wisch by Markus Lippl

mil-archive

Post by mil-archive » 03 Oct 2012, 02:50

Polizei

Many of my favourites were already mentioned, including 'Combat operations of Ordnungspolizei 1939 - 1945' by Michaelis, Massimo Arico's 'Ordnungspolizei Volume 1 - Encyclopedia of the German Police Battalions 1939 - 1942', I would add to that his second book 'Ordnungspolizei - Ideological war and Genocide in the East Front 1931 - 1942'. Mark Yergers series 'German Cross in Silver/Gold of the SS & Police'.

I would add the Friedrich Husemann 'In Good Faith' the history of the SS Polizei Panzer Grenadier Division (2 volumes & a third picture volume).

SS
Hitler's Irishmen by Terence O'Reilly
Irish Secrets - (Abwehr & SD intelligence operations related) by Mark M Hull
Black Edelweiss - Johan Voss
Walter Schellenberg - Memoirs (SD)
Wie ein Fels im Meer - Ulrich
12th SS Panzer Division Hitler Jugend by Heimdal
La Hohenstaufen: 9.SS-Panzer-Division 1944: Normandy, Tarnapol-Arnhem - Heimdal
Verweht sind die spuren - 5th SS Panzer Division Wiking -
Das Reich: March of the Second Ss Panzer Division Through France - Max Hastings
Das Reich: The Military Role of the 2nd SS Division - James Lucas
Foreign Legions of the Third Reich - Angolia
The Cruel Hunters: SS-Sonderkommando Dirlewanger Hitler's Most Notorious Anti-Partisan Unit - Mclean

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 30 Oct 2012, 00:33

last discover :

Wolfgang Graf Österreischische SS-Generäle published in Klagenfurt 2012.

In spite of my limited german language I appreciate this second book on the thema after Nikolaus v. Preradovich one

Based upon primary sources the author propose a thematic approach of SS-Ogruf-SS-Oberf .

After a sociographic overview, the july 34 group, the gauleiter ones, the deputy GL and mayors, those involved in aryanisation, leaders in high administration, senior Police leaders, in occupied countries, some particular studuy Achamer Pifraeder, Willigut, Langoth, Police presidents, former k.u.k. or austrian army, Business managers and waffen SS .

Dully referenced and illustrated , I consider it as a major source which complete the notorious Schulz/Zinke serie and Mike's.

Georges

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Jakob Grimminger's Memoirs

Post by Igor Karpov » 08 Nov 2012, 09:21

Just saw the book of Jakob Grimminger's Memoirs. According to the annotation this is a certain MUST BUY.

Die Erinnerungen von Jakob Grimminger.

http://www.amazon.de/Die-Erinnerungen-v ... pd_sim_b_5

Regards,
Igor

J. Duncan

Re: Jakob Grimminger's Memoirs

Post by J. Duncan » 09 Nov 2012, 02:25

Wow...that's huge. Thanks for telling us. Now I can only hope that it will be published eventually in english translation.
Is there a story as to how these came about (were they "lost", newly discovered)?

marcel.nl

Re: Jakob Grimminger's Memoirs

Post by marcel.nl » 09 Nov 2012, 22:55

Bought the book and received it two days ago, just started reading, lots of intresting pictures and a biography written by Grimmiger himself.
For all those who want to know about the fate of the Blutfahne: sorry, Grimminger gives no answer or clue.

If you can read german, the book is a good buy.

Yours Marcel

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 12 Apr 2013, 17:59

Die Generale der Waffen-SS und der Polizei, volume 6

Recently received my copy of this final volume of the definitive study on the topic. Few grasp the sheer magnitude of the topic and effort needed to compile it, aside from the fact they did so in a brief time considering the scope of the study.

Bravo and congratulations are normal for such an effort, an accomplishment in the most extreme sense of the word.

Understanding perhaps better than many the coordination of data for all various predecessors, successors, data on other personnel mentioned, the effort is even more amazing as is the immense amount of research work involved.

Personally, I extend my thanks and congratulations to the authors for giving us among the absolute best multi-volume works on the SS and Polizei ever written.

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 07 Nov 2013, 17:58

I'm fully in accordance with Mark appreciation. it's the Reference.
Last purchases :

-Die SS, Himmler und die Wewelsburg. A scholarship studies in 29 articles under direction of by Jan Erik Schulte Schöningh with such authors like Michael Wildt, Ruth Bettina Birn, Martin Cüppers, J.E. Schulte... If you look for pictures choose Russel/Schneider or Huser ones. This one is a referenced work very complete on all aspects of the SS castle, Vomi lager and KL Niederhagen. (German some illustrations 556 pages)
- SS und DRK Das Präsidium des DRK im ns Heerschaftssystem by Markus Wicke this 135 pages book give (in german) an interesting view upon the relationship between and DRK with some charts sources and bibliography. no pics only charts- Mallmann/Bohler/Matthäus Einsatzgruppen in Polen (german) complete the US "The Field Men" by French Mc Lean which focused personal datas. half book (108 pages) deals with history, personal and organisation (quite complete) 2nd part (90 pages) show 128 documents and last part give full references. Excellent book
- Himmlers Graue Eminenz - Oswald Pohl 333 pages (german) the book upon Pohl and his activities. Full of pics and charts. I recommand it.

I wait Inside der Allgemeine and Die Geheime Feldpolizei tell you more.

Georges

steve248

Post by steve248 » 11 Mar 2014, 10:25

Over the past few years Klaus-Michael Mallmann together with several others (see above) have edited quite a number of books of essays about the Sipo and SD in various parts of Nazi-occupied Europe. And knowing Michael he does like the contributors to name names and give bios of the Sipo/SD men. A few examples:

Gerhard Paul & Klaus-Michael Mallmann, "Die Gestapo. Mythos und Realität", Primus Verlag, Darmstadt, 1996; 30 essays, 566 pp.

Gerhard Paul & Klaus-Michael Mallmann, "Die Gestapo im Zweiten Weltkrieg. 'Heimatfront' und besetztes Europa", Primus Verlag, Darmstadt, 2000; 27 essays, 674 pp.

Klaus-Michael Mallmann & Gerard Paul, "Karrieren der Gewalt. Nationalsozistischen Täterbiographien", WBG Verlag, Darmstadt, 2004; 24 essays, 282 pp

Klaus-Michael Mallmann & Andrej Angrick, "Die Gestapo nach 1945", WBG Verlag, Darmstadt, 2009; 18 essays (including one of mine), pp 354.

Martin Cüppers, Jürgen Matthäus & Andrej Angrick (promoted as a Denkschrift for Klaus-Michael Mallmann on his 65th birthday), "Naziverbrechen. Täter, Taten, Bewältigungsversuche", WBG Verlag, Darmstadt, 2013; 19 essays (including one of mine on Einsatzgruppe K and L), 397 pp.

And a really excellent work that names names and acts committed:
Lenka Sindelarova, "Finale der Vernichtung. Die Einsatzgruppe H in der Slowakei 1944/45", WBG Verlag, Darmstadt, 2013.

All of these books have excellent essays on individuals, some more well known, some less well known. All very factual. One outstanding essay by Martin Cüppers in "Karrieren der Gewalt" is about Gustav Lombard; in the same book, an essay by Elisabeth on Gertrud Slottke of the Gestapo's Jewish Department in Holland.

Some of the earlier titles can still be found as "second user" on www.zvab.de and www.abebooks.com and the newer ones still on amazon.

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 11 Mar 2014, 11:10

I'm the proud owner of 4 of them. These books made of a number of monographies cover very well Gestapo in Germany and in occupied countries. with full of personal datas. I discover someone I don't have yet.

Georges

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”