Dr. Doll of the Kalmücken-Verband Dr. Doll

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Doktor Krollspell

Dr. Doll of the Kalmücken-Verband Dr. Doll

Post by Doktor Krollspell » 24 Dec 2005, 15:04

I would really like to see a photograph, and read additional biographical info on Dr. Otto Doll, also known as Otmar Rudolf Werva, or Vrba. Dr. Doll was the commanding officer of the Kalmücken-Verband Dr. Doll in 1943 and later of the Kalmücken-Kavallerie-Korps until his death in battle in July 1944.

According to the sources listed below, Dr. Doll was born before WWI in tsarist Russia and later fought as a cavalry officer on the white side in the civil war that followed the russian revolution. After the white side lost, he emmigrated to the Sudetenland in Checkoslovakia and joined the Abwehr in 1938. Stationed as a Abwehr official in Odessa, he was given the task of organizing the Kalmuck volunteers. His last military rank was that of Major, maybe Oberst.

Any additional info on Dr. Doll would be very much appreciated! Like promotions and decorations. And a picture would definitely make my day...

Books that I've read (and own) are "Foreign Legions of the Third Reich - Volume 4" by David Littlejohn (1987) and "The East Came West - Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist Volunteers in the German Armed Forces 1941-1945" edited by Antonio J. Munoz (2001).

Looking forward to some replies...

Krollspell

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 25 Dec 2005, 00:30

Sorry, the source is only in german language, but very extensive.

Please have a look into

http://www.chessbase.de/nachrichten.asp?newsid=4478

"Dr. Doll", der "Vater" der Kalmücken: Als sein Geburtsdatum gilt der 2.11.1900, er starb im Juli (?) 1944, als sein Kalmückenverband bei Lublin von Einheiten der Roten Armee überrannt wurde. Der eigentliche Name von "Dr. Otto Doll", Leiter des Abwehrtrupps 103 und Sonderführer (Z), war Othmar [Rudolf] Werba [auch Wrba]. Er stammte aus dem Sudetenland, war k.u.k. Offizier und nahm unter dem ukrainischen Befehlshaber Simon Petljura (1879-1926) am russischen Bürgerkrieg teil (1918-1920). Zwischen den Weltkriegen war er als Kaufmann und Architekt tätig. Zweieinhalb Jahre hatte er anscheinend als Beauftragter der Abwehr dem deutschen Konsulat in Odessa angehört. Am 11. August 1942 wurde er in die Steppe entsandt. Sein Abwehrtrupp 103 bestand aus ihm selbst, einem deutschen Fahrer und einem Funker. J. Hoffmann: "Verständlicherweise waren es die wenigen den Verfolgungen entgangenen Priester, die den Deutschen jetzt freundlich gegenübertraten und eine erste Mittlerrolle spielten. Ein seltsamer Umstand kam ihnen hierbei zustatten, denn einige Lamas wollten das Hakenkreuz an der Uniform des Dr. Doll mit dem altbuddhistischen Heilszeichen identifizieren."
Dr. Doll hat jedoch die Voraussetzungen der deutsch-kalmykischen Zusammenarbeit geschaffen, und hat es verstanden, die grundsätzlich hierzu vorhandene Bereitschaft erfolgreich zu aktivieren.
Auf Seiten der Wehrmacht wurden im September 1942 zwei kalmückische Schwadronen aufgestellt, deren Personal von Dr. Doll ausgewählt worden war. Diese Verbände wurden auf Betreiben von Major Graf v. Stauffenberg fester Bestandteil des deutschen Heeres. Danach wurden weitere Schwadronen aufgestellt. Diese Einheiten wurden erfolgreich eingesetzt bei der Nah- und Fernaufklärung im Bereich Astrachan und im Wolgadelta sowie bei der Partisanenbekämpfung.
Durch den Zustrom waffenfähiger Flüchtlinge war die Zahl der Kalmücken so angewachsen, dass noch im Februar 1943 neue Einheiten aufgestellt werden konnten. In deutschen Akten wurde das kalmückische Kavallerieregiment meist "Kalmückenverband Dr. Doll" genannt, die Kalmücken selbst nannten ihre Einheit "Kalmückisches Kavallerie-Korps"
Unter Vermittlung des Chefs der Abteilung Fremde Heere Ost, Oberst Gehlen (dem späteren Chef des Bundesnachrichtendienstes), erging Anweisung, die Kalmücken "ihrer Eigenart entsprechend einzusetzen". Am 6. Juli 1944 bestand das Kalmückische Kavallerie-Korps aus 147 kalmückischen Offizieren, 374 Unteroffizieren und 2.917 Mannschaften sowie 4.600 Pferden. Mitgeführt wurde einen größere Anzahl von Zivilpersonen - Frauen und Familienangehörige. Mitte Januar 1945 wurden die Kalmücken im Raum Radom/Kielce ein zweites Mal von der Roten Armee überrollt und völlig zersprengt. Insbesondere unter den Familienangehörigen waren schwere Verluste zu verzeichnen. In Gruppen retteten sich die Kalmücken nach Westen, wo sie auf dem Truppenübungsplatz Neuhammer reorganisiert wurden - die überlebenden Zivilpersonen wurden nach Bayern evakuiert. Das neuaufgebaute kalmückische Kavallerieregiment wurde nach Kroatien zum XV. Kosaken-Kavallerie-Korps in Marsch gesetzt.
Zu der am 25. März 1945 beschlossenen Unterstellung aller Verbände im XV. Kosaken-Kavallerie-Korps unter Generalleutnant Wlassow kam es nicht mehr. Bei Kriegsende befand sich das kalmückische Kavallerieregiment auf dem Rückzug in Kroatien. Die Offiziere beschlossen im April 1945, dass sich das Regiment in kleinen Gruppen zu den westlichen Alliierten durchschlagen und gefangen nehmen lassen sollte. Der größte Teil der kalmückischen Soldaten fiel jedoch in die Hände jugoslawischer Partisanen, kleinere Teile des Verbandes, die über die Drau geflüchtet waren, wurden von den Briten bei Judenburg an die Rote Armee ausgeliefert. Die Anzahl derjenigen Kalmücken, die von den Briten 1945 an die Sowjets ausgeliefert wurden, bezifferte Nellja Veremej auf 4.000. In Österreich verliert sich auch die Spur der Kamele.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS

DZ

Doktor Krollspell

Post by Doktor Krollspell » 26 Dec 2005, 21:19

Hello Dieter!

Thank you for the great additional biographical information on Doll/Werba/Wrba. Very interesting! Also an extensive and interesting article on the subject. It's apparently hard, though, to find a picture on the good Doctor...

A happy new year to you,

Krollspell

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 26 Dec 2005, 22:22

Thanks , dear Dieter !

This article is great !

Jan-Hendrik

Michi

Post by Michi » 30 Dec 2005, 23:06

Servus Dieter,
Zu der am 25. März 1945 beschlossenen Unterstellung aller Verbände im XV. Kosaken-Kavallerie-Korps unter Generalleutnant Wlassow kam es nicht mehr.
You might remember me, 13 months ago we were exchanging some private mails according the rank of von Pannwitz and the transformation of the XV. SS-KosKavK into the ROA. I had some sources which showed the fact that the XV. SS-KosKavK was really transformed out of the Waffe-SS into the Wlassow's ROA-Army.
Did something happen, that made you change your mind??

MfG Michi

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 31 Dec 2005, 00:55

Michi wrote:Servus Dieter,
Zu der am 25. März 1945 beschlossenen Unterstellung aller Verbände im XV. Kosaken-Kavallerie-Korps unter Generalleutnant Wlassow kam es nicht mehr.
.... the transformation of the XV. SS-KosKavK into the ROA......
I had some sources which showed the fact that the XV. SS-KosKavK was really transformed out of the Waffen-SS into the Wlassow's ROA-Army.
MfG Michi
Did something happen, that made you change your mind??
Indeed, dear Michi,
Wlassow agreed that von Pannwitz would hold his command for the time being. The changing in command to Wlassow was announced in the informations for the XV. SS-KosKavK. (Kazač'ja Zemlja (~ Kosakenland)) not before the 28.04.1945, when this command was at last without any effect. Himmler put off his approval until shortly before the end of the war.

Dieter Z.
Guten Rutsch! Alles Gute!

Ingrid56

Re: Dr. Doll of the Kalmücken-Verband Dr. Doll

Post by Ingrid56 » 31 Jul 2013, 18:47

Hello,
im new in this forum.
Are you still interested in information about Dr. Doll?
Or do you have information about him?

Dr. Doll - Othmar Werba is my grandfather. My Mother, his daughter is still living, 88 years old. Her father didn't return from the war. He was missing. She was always looking about information, because she is thinking, that he didn't die in die worldwar.

I can help you with a photo perhaps and also with very interesting information

Regards

Ingrid

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 05 Aug 2013, 03:43

Ingrid56 wrote:Hello,
im new in this forum.

Dr. Doll - Othmar Werba is my grandfather. My Mother, his daughter is still living, 88 years old. Her father didn't return from the war. He was missing. She was always looking about information, because she is thinking, that he didn't die in die worldwar.

Regards

Ingrid
Hello Ingrid,

I would be most interested with a photo and any information on Othmar Werba aka Dr. Doll. I had an article (written in the 70s) on the Kalmücken-Kavallerie-Korps (written by Oberst a.D. Constantin Wagner) but it seems there are not much info on Dr. Doll apart it was mentioned that he spoke Kalmueck fluently.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=175444

Apart from this and an English book (Antonio J. Munoz's The East Came West notably), I don't think there are much books published on the KKK and those did were mostly in German (Joachim Hoffmann's Deutsche und Kalmyken 1942-1945 [1977]), couple of articles in periodicals such as Soldatenjahrbuch, Der Freiwillige but mostly they were written in 1960s/70s where veterans were still around.

Perhaps it's time for a definitive account of the Kalmücken-Kavallerie-Korps to be written.

regards
Panzermahn

HistorikerRU

Post by HistorikerRU » 29 Oct 2013, 14:15

Ingrid56 wrote:Hello,
im new in this forum.

Regards

Ingrid

Guten Tag Ingrid,

meine Kollegen aus Russland baten mich, jegliche Infos über Ihren Grossvater zu bekommen: Fotos, Lebenslauf etc.
Die vorhandenen Bücher sind da sehr bescheiden. Es geht um rein historische Forschung über den Zweiten Weltkrieg.
Das Thema ist sehr populär und sehr wichtig für uns. Meine email: [email protected]
Bitte, schicken Sie mir eine Nachricht.
Im Voraus besten Dank!
Boris

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 29 Oct 2013, 16:30

:welcome:

Please note that this is an English language forum.

/Marcus

HPUHistory

Post by HPUHistory » 18 Apr 2019, 01:14

Ingrid56 wrote:
31 Jul 2013, 18:47
Hello,
im new in this forum.

Regards

Ingrid
Hello Ingrid,

I would love information about Dr. Doll. I am a graduate student and am doing research on him. Specifically, how and where he might have died. Thanks you!

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”