Images of Paris under occupation

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Vikki
Forum Staff

Re: Images of Paris under occupation

Post by Vikki » 26 Nov 2013, 04:15

Nice, Cerdic!

~Vikki

Cerdic

Post by Cerdic » 26 Nov 2013, 18:23

Vikki wrote:Nice, Cerdic!

~Vikki
Thankyou! :) Have a look at these too: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -rule.html

london dave

Post by london dave » 27 Nov 2013, 05:18

The chamber of representatives picture looks reversed (look at swastika)

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 28 Nov 2013, 09:04

Cerdic wrote:
Vikki wrote:Nice, Cerdic!

~Vikki
Thankyou! :) Have a look at these too: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -rule.html
Good link Cerdic. No thread about occupied Paris should be without Zucca's photos,which are my personal favorite. Though, I'm slightly surprised that they've been listed as a "news" item again: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5#p1819815

~Vikki

Cerdic

Post by Cerdic » 28 Nov 2013, 18:14

Vikki, this would not be the first the Daily Mail has regurgitated a news item. :wink: Do you think the photos are accurate or somewhat propagandaistic as was claimed by some at the time of the exhibition?

tigre

Post by tigre » 12 May 2014, 02:05

Hello to all :D; a little more.....................

Paris under the German occupation in pictures.

Source: Geo Epoche Nº 43 – Das Zweite Weltkrieg Teil I: 1939-1942.

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
Attachments
image018.png
image018.png (497.42 KiB) Viewed 36799 times
image020.png
image020.png (503.92 KiB) Viewed 36799 times
image022.png
image022.png (463.15 KiB) Viewed 36799 times

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 12 May 2014, 03:38

Nice photos so far, all. Here's one of some Leibstandarte men sporting their EK2 ribbons and enjoying an off duty drink in a Paris cafe under the wary eyes of the locals (Madame in the black hat doesn't seem overly thrilled with the situation):
LSSAH in Paris.jpg
http://bag-of-dirt.tumblr.com/post/64133521717/german-ss-men-of-the-1st-ss-panzer-division
Cheers,
Max

Webdragon2013

Post by Webdragon2013 » 12 May 2014, 17:57

Paris life seems to have gone on as normal.
This is a stark contrast with the violence seen in 1944 liberation footage, where streets seem deserted.

For example this footage of urban Paris fighting.
18+ Adult footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT0veINR5g0

tigre

Post by tigre » 20 May 2014, 23:33

Hello to all :D; a little more.....................

Paris under the German occupation in pictures.

Source: Geo Epoche Nº 43 – Das Zweite Weltkrieg Teil I: 1939-1942.

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
Attachments
image018.png
Orientation for newcomers .......................
image018.png (510.48 KiB) Viewed 36635 times
image020.png
Also here the yellow star ...................
image020.png (479.75 KiB) Viewed 36635 times

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 21 May 2014, 02:57

Another photo of Jewish Parisiennes (Was the woman with the briefcase reacting to the two women or the photographer?) Their stars do not appear yellow, can anyone explain that?:
etoile.jpg
http://past.snu.ac.kr/admin/sub_photo_list.php?team=2&num=17&sub=0
Cheers,
Max

Loïc

Post by Loïc » 21 May 2014, 05:38

perhaps due to a darker shade of the cloth for the star
or one of them :
there were also stars made with "buddhist" "papou" (papouan) "zoulou" (zulu)

actually when the jews of the northern zone were obliged to wear a star reactions of the people was not the one expected by the Germans

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 21 May 2014, 07:14

That's very interesting, Loïc. Could you perhaps explain the designations on the stars,especially the Christian cross on the star of David? :?
Cheers,
Max

Webdragon2013

Post by Webdragon2013 » 21 May 2014, 19:41

Maxschnauzer wrote:That's very interesting, Loïc. Could you perhaps explain the designations on the stars,especially the Christian cross on the star of David? :?
The gentile French civilians as protest to these measures, wore stars with their own religions on it (and sometimes ridiculous invented religions).

This was a show of solidarity with their French Jewish citizens.
The designations are pretty obvious:
Goi = Goy (Gentile)
Auvergnat = Person from Auvergnes
Swing = Affiliation to Swing culture ?
Zazou = I think another sub culture.
Its all about saying "Oh you identify them? Then look at what I am" to ridicule these measures.

Correct me if Im wrong, but the Germans had absolutely nothing to do with this anti-Semitic measure.
This was purely a measure by the conservative French State, which seeked to identify all undesirables (Non-whites, communists, and Jews), and which they did on their own accord.

I remember quotes from educated German Wehrmacht members, who felt ashamed at seeing Jews with such stars and feeling responsible for it.

I believe the famous Ernst Junger, an officer in Paris at the time, saluted (clicked his heels in Prussian way) at every Jew he saw as a way to respect their humiliation.

Loïc

Post by Loïc » 21 May 2014, 20:13

an Auvergnat is someone from Auvergne like La Fayette but also, seen from Paris, the archetype of the poor provincial peasant of France, all the opposite of the Parisian like a farmer of Oklahoma or the from Dakotas for a New Yorker if you want, it is a double derision
Correct me if Im wrong, but the Germans had absolutely nothing to do with this anti-Semitic measure.
This was purely a measure by the conservative French State, which seeked to identify all undesirables (Non-whites, communists, and Jews), and which they did on their own accord.
were are in the northern occupied zone in june 1942 so the Germans had absolutely everything to do with it, the yellow star wasn't at all introduced in the southern free zone
about the identification of the "non-whites", I don't understand what you wanted to mean, there was a black ministry or secretary of State with the Pétain's government, the black mulattos and asians were not identified by a similar measure

Webdragon2013

Post by Webdragon2013 » 21 May 2014, 21:40

Loïc wrote: were are in the northern occupied zone in june 1942 so the Germans had absolutely everything to do with it, the yellow star wasn't at all introduced in the southern free zone
about the identification of the "non-whites", I don't understand what you wanted to mean, there was a black ministry or secretary of State with the Pétain's government, the black mulattos and asians were not identified by a similar measure
What I meant by identification of non-whites...
I could have been mistaken here. I refer to this idea by Charles Maurras of the "Anti-France" which I believe was a key component of the "Revolution Nationale" (Petain ideology). This anti-France were: Jews, Freemasons, gypsies, homosexuals, and "meteques". The meteques word I understood to be non-whites but I could be wrong.

And I didn't mean that they were to be identified like Jews, but were still considered enemy of the state.

This is why I also thought that the yellow star IN FRANCE was a French state affair, considering the antisemitism of the Maurras ideology and of the revolution nationale.

For example the statute on Jews was a purely French thing, which the state did without German sponsoring.
And this was in all free territories and colonies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutes_on_Jews

So its interesting that the same government that implements such statutes...Refuses to agree to the simple yellow badge.
And like you said has colored political members, but persecutes just about every other group (freemasons, etc).
Another subtlety of the French state I imagine :o

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”