Recommended reading on the SS & Polizei

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Re: Recommended reading on the SS & Polizei

Post by Georges JEROME » 03 Sep 2015, 11:53

Just received SS ELITE The senior leaders of Hitler's praetorian Guard volume I by Max Williams our fellow member :

50 bios (A-J) with hundreds of glossy pictures with numerous unkown of me display on 650 page .
Like for his Himmler's book, a number of ID SS leaders appears on group pics. Much appreciated.
Now I wait volum 2 publication !

PATRICK CHARRON

Post by PATRICK CHARRON » 24 Oct 2015, 12:53

Hello,

I recommend the book by Marten van Dijken "Die SS-Totenkopfverbände" Eine Dokumentation Band 1 1933-1937 Published by author.
Book that describes the creation and organization of these units, serious work based on archives.
One sees many names of individuals who will become prominent members of future Waffen SS units or remain in the camp administration.
Over 100 pictures 297 pages. German text.

See also:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 9&t=217996

Regards

Patrick

Ononefoot39

Post by Ononefoot39 » 31 Oct 2015, 04:37

Michael Wildt- "An Uncompromising Generation: The Leadership of the Reich Security Main Office"
Hilary Earl- "The Nuremberg SS-Einsatzgruppen Trial, 1945-1958
Helmut Langerbein- "Hitler's Death Squads:The Logic of Mass Murder"
Peter Longerich- "Holocaust: The Nazi Persecution and Murder of the Jews"

I can go on and on

PATRICK CHARRON

Post by PATRICK CHARRON » 18 Jan 2016, 12:49

Hello,

I received just before Christmas the Totenkopf Volume 1 by Mark Yerger and Ignacio Arrondo, published by Helion. A very good book, rich text and many photos.
A must for enthusiasts.

Regards
Patrick

Boby

Post by Boby » 21 Jan 2016, 13:53

Strange no one has mentioned Bastian Hein study:

All drawn from primary sources.

https://books.google.es/books?id=ipiVST ... frontcover

Ononefoot39

Post by Ononefoot39 » 22 Jan 2016, 00:46

Another fantastic book that was published recently is "Believe and Destroy: Intellectuals in the SS War Machine" by Christian Ingrao

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 22 Jan 2016, 01:49

Intellectuals in SS and Police fascinate historians . On the same subject the following sociographies are interesting
Heydrichs Elite (IdS/BdS) by Jens Banach, Generation des Unbedingten ( leaders of RSHA) by Michael Wildt.

Georges

Ononefoot39

Post by Ononefoot39 » 22 Jan 2016, 06:37

Georges JEROME wrote:Intellectuals in SS and Police fascinate historians . On the same subject the following sociographies are interesting
Heydrichs Elite (IdS/BdS) by Jens Banach, Generation des Unbedingten ( leaders of RSHA) by Michael Wildt.

Georges
Michael Wildt has quickly become one of my favorite historians

Peter
Financial supporter

Superb new book - SS & Polizei Knights Cross

Post by Peter » 25 Mar 2016, 13:51

Yesterday I received a copy of our member Mike Miller's latest book, "Knight's Cross Holders" of the SS and German Police 1940-45 - Volume 1 - (Adamsons to Hurdelbrink) just published by Helion in Birmingham, England.

I found it on Amazon, it's a very nicely produced book of 430+ pages on good quality paper and the price was excellent. There are HUNDREDS of good photos of the Knights Cross holders, some from SS files, some from NARA/Bundesarchiv and others from collectors and veterans. I have been researching the subject since about 1974 and there are photos here which I haven't seen before. I think that the dates of other awards received and promotions will be a very useful reference source for dating photos.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1909 ... _i=desktop

Well done Mike
Attachments
MDM.jpg

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 02 Apr 2016, 23:46

Belated thanks for a very kind review, Peter.

On another note:

Just caught a devastating error. That's not Hermann Borchers on the cover (which means that two of the photos in the Borchers entry are not of he)-- It's Franz Kleffner. Hanging my head for at least a week now.

~ Mike

weekender

Post by weekender » 11 May 2016, 20:58

The Order of the Death's Head. Heinz Höhne. I cannot count home many times I've read this.

Masters of Death. Richard Rhodes. I never knew that the Einsatzgruppen was supplemented by police battalions at the insistence of various HSSPF's until reading this one. Competing agencies, very nearly. Also, the einsatz commanders were often at odds with various HSPFF's.
"...forced to fight behind the crooked cross."

Slayer

Gerhardt

Post by Gerhardt » 21 Jul 2016, 10:17

Bought recently Marten van Dijken's Volume 1 of his study "Die
SS-Totenkopfverbände 1933-1939". The book is an excellent documentation of the early
history of the SS-Totenkopfverbände, its formation, its organization, its
commanding officers and an absolute must have for everyone interested in the
history of the SS-Totenkopfverbände as predecessor of the later
SS-Totenkopfdivsion.
I am looking forward for volumes 2 and 3!

pim

Post by pim » 28 Jul 2016, 09:29

In the last few days I have received three outstanding SS books. One related to the "LAH", one related to "Totenkopf", one related to "Das Reich". For what my opinion is worth they are a must have for any person with a serious interest on the SS ;

1. TOTENKOPF. Volume 2: The Structure, Development and Personalities of the 3.SS-Panzer Division. by Mark Yerger & Ignacio Arrondo
2. Career, crimes and trial of SS-Sturmbannführer GUSTAV KNITTEL Commander of the Aufklärungsabteilung ‘LSSAH’ by Timo R. Worst
3. PANZERS NORMANDIE 44 SERIE SS-Panzer-Regiment 2 “Das Reich”. by Stephan Cazenave

The massive effort these guys have put in regarding their research and dedication to the particular subject matter cannot be underestimated.
Do yourselves a favour and buy these books. They are not cheap – but you won’t be disappointed. If you are I would sure like to know why.

Well done and congratulations to (hope you don’t mind me addressing you by your first names) Mark, Ignacio, Timo and Stephan. As a reader and buyer of many books I in particular appreciate your efforts (and your publishers) in making your research available to the public – THANK YOU very much !

I will provide more of my views on the books on the existing specific threads of each book.

Peter.

RolandP

Post by RolandP » 19 Oct 2016, 19:53

Hallo everybody,

Got the book from Marten van Dijken, Volume II of the Totenkopfverbände 1937 – 1939 some days ago and I am very pleased again!

Volume I was great, Volume II might be much “greater”… sorry for that :)

The information about the now-Standarten are very detailed, as usual, I would say,

The details concerning the E-Sturmbanne were v e r y useful for me, had some "Problems" with them until reading in this volume,
there are some very astonishing transfers from Junkerschule Tölz to the SS-TV, f.e.,
and the “background” and the later action of the SS-TV in Austria, in the “Sudetenland” and later “Protektroat” filled some gaps in my historical memory, too!

Thank you very much, dear Marten, I am looking forward to the next Volume!! :thumbsup:

With all the best yours Roland

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 19 Oct 2016, 21:29

I agree 100 % with comments of Roland.
Full of informations upon organisation and actions.
Great chapters dedicated to the "Blumenkriegs" (Austria, Sudetenland, Remnants of Czechoslovakia) . Very usefull.
Well illustrated with numerous unknown photos.

Good job Marten !

Now I wait for the 3rd volume of the now standard work upon Totenkopfverbände.

Georges

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”