POW Camps in the Middle East

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
UMachine

Re: POW Camps in the Middle East

Post by UMachine » 22 Dec 2015, 16:11

I have seen POW docs on eBay stamped "co-operator".They may have been moved into tougher camps to try and elicit information.

nonsence

Post by nonsence » 05 Jan 2016, 13:28

Skyderick wrote:There was a POW camp in Palestine, located on the hilltop of Latrun. Many German and Italian soldiers captured in North Africa were held there in 1942. There were separate sections for foreign citizens suspected of collaboration with the enemy and for Jewish and Arab militants respectively.
I have a list of a couple of hundred German POWs interned in this camp, in case anyone's looking for a name. The majority seems to consist of Air Force members.
Hi Would you mind looking up a name for me? Antonin Dworok.

nonsence

Post by nonsence » 05 Jan 2016, 13:28

Annelie wrote:Adam

Hello I am looking for any informations about my grand-ouncle Antonin Dworok, all I know, is that he died in POW cap in Africa, I have some details

Dworok Antonín 175035
c/o CHief P.O.W. Camp 380
Postal centre Middle East
Egypt

his photo
http://bp3.blogger.com/_WS5qv-dzpkM/R6- ... iforme.jpg

http://bp1.blogger.com/_WS5qv-dzpkM/R6- ... h/hrob.jpg
and his grave

I'll be happy for any information about him, the camp or the cemetery

Thank you very much
Adam
[email protected]
Czech Republic

Private messageE-mailJabber

Adam, have you found any information on your Uncle? Perhaps how he died etc?
no not yet:(

nonsence

Post by nonsence » 05 Jan 2016, 13:31

patrick13 wrote:Adam: I was at 380 in July 1947 but was not aware of any POW deaths at that time. Patrick O'Connor
Hello Mr. O´Connor, could you maybe suggest where would the prisoners go from this camp or wether they were moved elswhere? Thank you

AK

nonsence

Post by nonsence » 05 Jan 2016, 14:01

I have found the cemetery and his grave just now!
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casua ... K,%20ANTON

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 05 Jan 2016, 15:48

Perhaps you would also like to know something about the camp?

http://home.arcor.de/kriegsgefangene/gr ... egypt.html

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 18 Apr 2016, 14:55

http://www.suez45-48.de/

Interesting site

Emanuele Perugini

Post by Emanuele Perugini » 07 Sep 2017, 22:59

mirella wrote:Hello, I am looking for any informations about my grandfather, Nuccilli Giovanni, Italian. He fought in Al Alamein and was a prisoner at a the pow camp 305. I found this old photo, on the back side it says "camp 305, Suez". He was a good football player and my grandmother always said that he survived the camp thanks to that. This is the only thing I know. I hope somebody in this forum will be able to give any sort of information about this picture. My grandfather is the first one standing, from the right.
Feel free to contact me here: [email protected]
Thank you.
BeFunky_suez campo guerra 305 (small).jpg.jpg
Hello Mirella,
I need information or pictures of my grandfather Orfeo Perugini Italian detained in the prison camp 305.

Mirella if you want us to feel that my father has long been looking for information.

Thank you
Emaunuele Perugini
Mail: [email protected]

railwaygun

Post by railwaygun » 17 Apr 2018, 20:34

Heinzdaughter
Re: POW Camp 380
Postby Heinzdaughter » 16 Feb 2013, 23:35

My dad was in 380 Pw Camp and I have a note re dog control addressed to Capt. Coppinger, Capt. Soothill, RSM Angus, RSM Stvenson (I presume that should be Stevenson), PW Friedrich (my dad) PW Bernig and PW Thiemer from 7 June 1948. It is signed by Lt. Col. Comd. (A.W. Shirley). Does anybody know anyhting about the other POWs?

my Grandfather was Colonel Arthur W Shirley,( Camp Commandant) and wrote the letter you mention. I would be very interested to get a copy for the family archives

http://www.unithistories.com/officers/A ... Shirley_AW

best wishes

Nicholas

chicug

Post by chicug » 25 May 2018, 17:48

Hello everyone, I am looking for any info about by grandfather Giuseppe Conte.
The only things I know is that he was a prisoner of war firstly by the Germans in Kos and later he fled and was a prisoner in British hands and detained in camp 5 Staff. but I have no idea where this camp is, should be somewhere in the Middle East. Also he was a prisoner of war who passed through Turkey and has been repatriated to middle east according to a document found in Ankara.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you

wbfamily

Post by wbfamily » 14 Oct 2018, 19:35

railwaygun wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 20:34
Heinzdaughter
Re: POW Camp 380
Postby Heinzdaughter » 16 Feb 2013, 23:35

My dad was in 380 Pw Camp and I have a note re dog control addressed to Capt. Coppinger, Capt. Soothill, RSM Angus, RSM Stvenson (I presume that should be Stevenson), PW Friedrich (my dad) PW Bernig and PW Thiemer from 7 June 1948. It is signed by Lt. Col. Comd. (A.W. Shirley). Does anybody know anyhting about the other POWs?

my Grandfather was Colonel Arthur W Shirley,( Camp Commandant) and wrote the letter you mention. I would be very interested to get a copy for the family archives

http://www.unithistories.com/officers/A ... Shirley_AW

best wishes

Nicholas
I just found out that my opi was at camp 380 Fanara/Bitter Lake. Is this the same one you are referring to?
He was in the 54. Mountain Signals Battalion and remained in the camp until about 1947 when he escaped, was captured again and then was sent to Cyprus.
opi.egypt0003.jpg
egypt pow0002.jpg
egypt pow0002.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 19211 times
egypt camel front.jpg

wbfamily

Post by wbfamily » 14 Oct 2018, 19:54

Skyderick wrote:
27 Aug 2015, 23:11
wbfamily wrote: My Opa was held in N. Africa. His name is Walter Beynun. He was an artist as well and would trade his paintings for cigarettes.
I went through the lists of Latrun, but he's not mentioned.
It turns out that he was not at Latrun, but at 380 Fanara/Bitter Lake. I haven't found any name records but I have photos of him there. Thank you for looking. I deeply appreciate it.

BenjaminK

Post by BenjaminK » 10 Apr 2021, 21:07

Annelie wrote:
10 Aug 2008, 23:33
Hello Patrick,

Thought perhaps I would post a POW photo in hopes you would recognize anyone?
As you can see there are a number of cooks/chefs.

best,
Annelie
Hello Annelie,
I hope that you read this post because I am pretty sure I do recognize my grandfather on this picture.
He was a POW in camp 307 Fanara/Bitter Lake and a butcher. My father told me that my grandfather was a chef during his time of imprisonment.
Today, I found pictures from that time in old boxes and I immediatly started to research on this topic.
As far as I know, my grandfather is the third man from the left in the lowest row.
Is there a way you can send me this picture in a better resolution or a way of directly contacting you?
I am new to this forum and I haven't figured out how this works completely.
I am looking forward to your answer!
Kind regards from Germany,
Benjamin

GracieS

Post by GracieS » 24 Nov 2021, 18:13

Hi!

I'm looking for anyone with information on the men kept at camp 380 Fanara. I am currently trying to track down the history of some paintings that were done in the camp, so would be particularly interested to hear from anyone who had a detained family member who was an artist!

GracieS

Post by GracieS » 24 Nov 2021, 18:24

wbfamily wrote:
09 May 2015, 21:39
Skyderick wrote:There was a POW camp in Palestine, located on the hilltop of Latrun. Many German and Italian soldiers captured in North Africa were held there in 1942. There were separate sections for foreign citizens suspected of collaboration with the enemy and for Jewish and Arab militants respectively.
I have a list of a couple of hundred German POWs interned in this camp, in case anyone's looking for a name. The majority seems to consist of Air Force members.
My Opa was held in N. Africa. His name is Walter Beynun. He was an artist as well and would trade his paintings for cigarettes.
Hi! I would love to speak to you about your grandfather if possible!

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”