T 312 R 1428

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by John Calvin and Jeff Leach.
teg
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: 06 Jun 2007 09:51
Location: russia

T 312 R 1428

Post by teg » 18 May 2018 21:30

Does somebody have a roll T 312 R 1428?

User avatar
Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section
Posts: 1259
Joined: 19 Jan 2010 09:08
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: T 312 R 1428

Post by Jeff Leach » 30 Jun 2018 16:28

When asking about NARA rolls it is Always best to check this tool at Sturmpanzer NARA rolls. It will tell you if the roll has been digitized (yours hasn't). The Tools is still update as far as I know.

Mori
Member
Posts: 775
Joined: 25 Oct 2014 11:04
Location: Europe

Re: T 312 R 1428

Post by Mori » 03 Jul 2018 11:59

Jeff Leach wrote:When asking about NARA rolls it is Always best to check this tool at Sturmpanzer NARA rolls. It will tell you if the roll has been digitized (yours hasn't). The Tools is still update as far as I know.
Unfortunately, the tool is not updated anymore. Last update was end of 2016, I think. The reason I post an excel list twice a year is because the sturmpanzer tool is not updated.

User avatar
Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section
Posts: 1259
Joined: 19 Jan 2010 09:08
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: T 312 R 1428

Post by Jeff Leach » 04 Jul 2018 05:33

Mori wrote:
Jeff Leach wrote:When asking about NARA rolls it is Always best to check this tool at Sturmpanzer NARA rolls. It will tell you if the roll has been digitized (yours hasn't). The Tools is still update as far as I know.
Unfortunately, the tool is not updated anymore. Last update was end of 2016, I think. The reason I post an excel list twice a year is because the sturmpanzer tool is not updated.
Oh, that is unfortunate.

Mori
Member
Posts: 775
Joined: 25 Oct 2014 11:04
Location: Europe

Re: T 312 R 1428

Post by Mori » 21 Jul 2018 20:42

Mori wrote:
03 Jul 2018 11:59
Unfortunately, the tool is not updated anymore. Last update was end of 2016, I think. The reason I post an excel list twice a year is because the sturmpanzer tool is not updated.
Contrary to what I wrote, sturmpanzer has resumed updating the search tool. the "Mori list" will be updated every other month or so.

User avatar
Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section
Posts: 1259
Joined: 19 Jan 2010 09:08
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: T 312 R 1428

Post by Jeff Leach » 22 Jul 2018 07:31

Mori wrote:
21 Jul 2018 20:42
Mori wrote:
03 Jul 2018 11:59
Unfortunately, the tool is not updated anymore. Last update was end of 2016, I think. The reason I post an excel list twice a year is because the sturmpanzer tool is not updated.
Contrary to what I wrote, sturmpanzer has resumed updating the search tool. the "Mori list" will be updated every other month or so.
Good to hear. It is easy to forget, that one of the key element of an Internet resource is longevity. For a privately maintained resource (the AHF, the NARA free material, the tool above), longevity is probably the most important charateristic, while also being the most difficult to maintain. It usually takes a lot of effort to maintain the resource and in the end most people lose interest and the resource dissappears (I have learned that if you find an interesting site, it is best to make a copy of it with a site-downloader because you never know when it will dissappears).

Mori
Member
Posts: 775
Joined: 25 Oct 2014 11:04
Location: Europe

Re: T 312 R 1428

Post by Mori » 22 Jul 2018 10:53

Jeff Leach wrote:
22 Jul 2018 07:31
For a privately maintained resource (the AHF, the NARA free material, the tool above), longevity is probably the most important charateristic, while also being the most difficult to maintain. It usually takes a lot of effort to maintain the resource and in the end most people lose interest and the resource dissappears (I have learned that if you find an interesting site, it is best to make a copy of it with a site-downloader because you never know when it will dissappears).
Same goes for documents owned by institutions: it's better to make a copy while they are available. You never know what can happen.

For example, some documents at MHI in Carlisle are not accessible anymore because some regulation decided that everything mentioning "oral history" should be reviewed again. In the French archives, all the private papers are now un-accessible because of an unexplained storage issue.

Return to “Archives”