Dunkirk

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Re: Dunkirk

Post by OpanaPointer » 13 Jan 2018, 01:36

Until they make movies for free the moguls will decide what gets made. They owe no allegiance to anything but the bottom line.

I have my copy and will be watching it after supper.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Gooner1

Post by Gooner1 » 25 Jan 2018, 12:56

OpanaPointer wrote:I actually got Gallup to do their graphs on public opinion regarding the war,
Gallup did an opinion poll in the UK regarding the war in June 1940 - 3% thought Britain would lose.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 25 Jan 2018, 19:00

Gooner1 wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:I actually got Gallup to do their graphs on public opinion regarding the war,
Gallup did an opinion poll in the UK regarding the war in June 1940 - 3% thought Britain would lose.
Q: How bloody-minded are you gets?

8-) :lol:
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

MarkF617

Post by MarkF617 » 13 Feb 2018, 18:45

Hello,

From what I've heard the common perception was that we would do better after the French surrender as we had no dodgy allies to hold us back!

Mark.
You know you're British when you drive your German car to an Irish pub for a pint of Belgian beer before having an Indian meal. When you get home you sit on your Sweedish sofa and watch American programs on your Japanese TV.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 01 Mar 2018, 16:06

MarkF617 wrote:Hello,

From what I've heard the common perception was that we would do better after the French surrender as we had no dodgy allies to hold us back!

Mark.
Churchill proposed Union with France before the fall, so a large part of whatever they would have called that Union would have been in German hands for most of the war. Awkward, that. :lol:
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

HaroldK

Post by HaroldK » 28 Mar 2018, 12:36

MarkF617 wrote:Hello,

Mark.
While that sounds funny, I very much doubt that was the case. Still chuckled at that, not going to lie lol.
Sounds like people love Max Performer and its benefits.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 20 May 2018, 03:58

I know I am late to the party, Just watched it for the first,second time.

The officer in the night time lifeboat scene is the same one who was rescued by the Moonstone and later caused the teenager to be fatally injured? I understand Nolan deliberately skewed the timeline.

The only character I found interesting is the civilian capt. of the Moonstone.

Michael Dorosh

Post by Michael Dorosh » 23 Jul 2018, 17:04

Felix C wrote:
20 May 2018, 03:58
I know I am late to the party, Just watched it for the first,second time.

The officer in the night time lifeboat scene is the same one who was rescued by the Moonstone and later caused the teenager to be fatally injured? I understand Nolan deliberately skewed the timeline.

The only character I found interesting is the civilian capt. of the Moonstone.
I had the same reaction as many in the last few pages. I actually didn't fully understand the chronology of the film (the onscreen titles just confused me - 1 week, 1 hour, etc.) and I didn't realize until after I got home and read the online reviews that the timelines for the fighter pilot and the ship were compressed. I'm usually more interested in characters than special effects - but I did find the aerial sequences compelling for the most part, until the final dogfight where an unpowered fighter is able to down a bomber and land safely - seemed to be more suited for Walt Disney or Amazing Stories or something.

The characters were mostly uninteresting, all looked very much alike, and some didn't even have names. There was nothing compelling about the story, and there were no real stakes here. Since there was no background provided to any of the characters, I had no reason to care about whether or not they escaped their predicament. As far as that goes, the producers did well to avoid clichés (pictures of the pregnant wife back home to produce pathos for example) and tried to make up for it by chopping up the chronology. A good effort, but I didn't find it an enjoyable exercise at all. Also in common with others, I found the beaches too clean and it just seemed like those queues of soldiers were there because the plot demanded it, I never had a sense I was looking at the actual Dunkirk operation.

It was nice to see the French and British given a bit of due, but once again Commonwealth directors have focused on hand-wringing a disaster instead of focusing on one of the military victories - the French, Australians, Canadians, British etc. did occasionally have those.

Michael Dorosh

Post by Michael Dorosh » 23 Jul 2018, 17:07

MarkF617 wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 18:45
Hello,

Mark.
Had Hitler invaded England in the autumn of 1940, one of the few equipped divisions in the southern UK was 1st Canadian, and even they were still trying to get up to strength with modern transport, MGs, artillery, etc. (and 2nd Canadian was just arriving). Perhaps not dodgy, but the Canadian units had a long way to go before they could operate effectively as formations.

Paul Lakowski

Post by Paul Lakowski » 23 Jul 2018, 23:41

I loved the musical score cued with imagery.

I Got the real sense of how beaten the Anglo/French were at that point.

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 24 Jul 2018, 11:38

Paul Lakowski wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 23:41
The soundtrack is better than the movie.

Paul Lakowski

Post by Paul Lakowski » 25 Jul 2018, 00:56

B Hellqvist wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 11:38
Paul Lakowski wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 23:41
The soundtrack is better than the movie.

that's about right, as is true with most of Nolan's movies- a lot of its staying power is in the musical score.

warriorant

Post by warriorant » 27 Jul 2018, 20:19

I thought this movie was rubbish :oops: . The scenes were poorly acted & poorly shot :x The feel was wrong, modern day actors just don't cut it for me. Give me John Mills any day. The scene with out of fuel Spitty shooting down a bomber was just plain stupid. Same as Fury, loads of potential and just not delivering. I still watch the old B & W films which are by far the best.
Ex Nord West Kampfgruppe (Leighton Hall, UK)

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 16 Jan 2019, 23:11

Dunkirk has been airing again on Cinemax and so I saw it once and FF thru it twice. It does bring home how difficult and dangerous it is to abandon ship even in calm waters. The incidents shown of ship sinking- hospital ship, night time torpedo attack, minesweeper bombed, I found the most interesting of the film. Especially the night time torpedoing demonstrating how confusing a sinking is a night.

Again except for the elderly civilian yacht captain I felt no sympathy for anyone especially the young twerp trying to gain and edge on others waiting to get home.

FlyingStukas

Post by FlyingStukas » 23 Jan 2019, 00:33

Bit late to the thread, but Dunkirk was a very decent movie. Thought the setting and sound were captured perfectly, the Stuka sounds, the emotions of the men. It was lacking in real "action"' for me, and had a slight modern-ish outlook on it. Overall, a very good movie, recommended. 8.5/10

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”