The woman who helped Heydrich after the ambush

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Potsdamerplatz

The woman who helped Heydrich after the ambush

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 03 Jun 2008, 01:06

I wonder if anyone has information on the woman who helped Heydrich in Prague on 27th May 1942 after the assassination attempt. Apparently her name is Marie Navarová and her husband was the doctor who pronounced Karl-Hermann Frank dead after his execution at Prague's Pankrac Prison in 1946.

Here is a short paragraph posted elsewhere on the forum by Plava Bestie:
Marie Navarová, who helped to Heydrich on 27th May 1942 to moved him to hospital Bulovka. She obtained 10 000 protectorate korunas, but she gived all of the money to German red cross. In 1948 she was sentenced to many years of prison. After her release she worked as workwoman in Benešov.
In addition to this, I can only add what I know happened after the explosion. Heydrich collapsed at the side of the road next to the Mercedes and a crowd gathered around him. No-one offered to help until Ms Navarová recognised him and took charge. An off-duty Czech policeman arrived on the scene and flagged down a van to take Heydrich to the Bulkova Hospital. Ms Navarová then helped Heydrich into the back of the van.

It seems terribly harsh that she received a stiff prison term from the post-war Czech courts for her actions. Especially as he donated all her reward money to the Red Cross.

Kind regards.
The truth is that you're a quiet, sensitive type, but if I'm prepared to take a chance I might just get to know the inner you: witty, adventurous, passionate, loving, loyal, a little bit crazy, a little bit bad, but, hey, don't us girls just love that?

Ahf
Banned

Re: The woman who helped Heydrich after the ambush

Post by Ahf » 03 Jun 2008, 01:43

http://www.cs-magazin.com/2003-08/view. ... 030811.htm

The translation is not the best but it does paint a different picture. It claims she was on the Gestapo payroll and was rewarded for assisting in finding the resistance fighters.

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 17 Jun 2008, 21:43

Ahf wrote:http://www.cs-magazin.com/2003-08/view. ... 030811.htm

The translation is not the best but it does paint a different picture. It claims she was on the Gestapo payroll and was rewarded for assisting in finding the resistance fighters.
Well, as I understand it, she was on Gestapo payroll only because she got some money for help. Gestapo was government agency and as such has to keep some tracks of its expenses. Because they paid Navarova 10 000, they had to put her on payroll. And because she was on Gestapo payroll, she got 8 years after war.

bobbyhill

Post by bobbyhill » 17 Jun 2008, 21:59

Yes, it seems terribly harsh. 8 years in prison for carring a dying man onto a van :cry:

Ahf
Banned

Post by Ahf » 17 Jun 2008, 22:02

KACKO wrote:
Ahf wrote:http://www.cs-magazin.com/2003-08/view. ... 030811.htm

Well, as I understand it, she was on Gestapo payroll only because she got some money for help. Gestapo was government agency and as such has to keep some tracks of its expenses. Because they paid Navarova 10 000, they had to put her on payroll. And because she was on Gestapo payroll, she got 8 years after war.
Do they say that in the article, i.e., that she was only on the payroll because of this one time reward? Payroll to me implies more than a one time job for the gestapo. They also refer to it as a recent discovery, which suggests to me that the Czechs may not have been aware of it at the time she was tried and sentenced. Without being fluent in the language, it is difficult to tell exactly what they are stating in the article. Thank you for you help.

Jiri

Post by Jiri » 20 Jun 2008, 16:42

From the article it seems that her name appeared on Gestapo payroll because of that action - and the money given to her was by Gestapo accounted for "expenditures related with searching for assassins of Heydrich". The article does not put much light whether that was her only connection with Gestapo, but states that was the first occasion when she came into contact with Gestapo.

Generally - although article does not say it directly, some men of Prague fire brigade, whom were also given some money (for their participation in siege of the crypt in Resslova street) were better treated, because they deposited their rewards into bank account, and after war ended, placed them at disposal of Czechoslovak government.

Public gift, given in wartime to German Red cross, was during war - and postwar - (because Nazis banned Czech Red Cross in 1940, and during war waged several campaigns which encouraged Czechs for donations to German Red Cross, as "a way to take your share in fight of the Reich"), often seen as minor act of collaboration - may be this made her postwar situation worse.

Ahf
Banned

Post by Ahf » 20 Jun 2008, 17:00

Thank you for answering my question and the additional information.

Helge

Post by Helge » 25 Jul 2018, 13:40

Marii Navarovou (This is the exact name) died on February 14, 1966. She was 67 years old.

Source: https://www.info.cz
Attachments
Marii Navarovou.jpg
Marii Navarovou.jpg (51.07 KiB) Viewed 8280 times
Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 29 Jul 2018, 08:49

Correct name is: Marie Navarová

Marii Navarovou is a declension.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 29 Jul 2018, 19:56

Marii Navarovou is a declension
Do you know if Reinarda Heydricha, Adolfa Hitlera, etc, are names in declension ?
I never understood why names change in Czech language... :?
In Spain they had the habit of changing them, during the 40's ; Adolfo Hitler, Joaquín von Ribbentrop, José Göbbels; Rodolfo Hess, etc
you can read in the newspapers of those years. They only did it with easy-to-change names :lol:
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 30 Jul 2018, 01:14

Do you know if Reinarda Heydricha, Adolfa Hitlera, etc, are names in declension ?
Yes, they are. This Wikipedia page has some basic information: Grammatical case
Czech language has seven cases, Finnish - fifteen !

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 30 Jul 2018, 03:44

Thank you.

Did Heydrich spoke Czech ?
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 27 Apr 2019, 19:37

Potsdamerplatz wrote:
03 Jun 2008, 01:06
It seems terribly harsh that she received a stiff prison term from the post-war Czech courts for her actions.
She didnt give all he money to the red cross... she kept a good portion in order to found a house for the children of the POW... but the house was never built (!).
Plus, she and her husband used to house the chief of the Pankrac's prison Paul Sopp.

But, she said, she was working undergound for the resistance. She and her husband tried to get infos from Paul Sopp.
She also gave food to the prisoners when she went to the jail.

When the gestapo learned about that, she was jailed in 1944.
She was jailed 'only' 6 years due to her health's problems.

wm

Post by wm » 27 Apr 2019, 20:02

von thoma wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 19:56
I never understood why names change in Czech language... :?
Thanks to that sentences don't have to be so unwieldy rigid as in English.
She helped Heydrich, helped Heydrich she, Heydrich helped she are all perfectly legit in Czech.

Stephan

Post by Stephan » 24 Jul 2019, 18:50

Helge wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 13:40
Marii Navarovou (This is the exact name) died on February 14, 1966. She was 67 years old.

Source: https://www.info.cz
Nay, its apparently a grammatic phrasing. Alike saying something was given to her, Marii Navarovu. Her formal name was thus, Maria Navarova [or possibly Marie - I dont know].

In slavic languages they have different grammatical flexing, depending on the exact context.

Return to “Women in the Reich”