Indian Legion 1942-1945 photos

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Spartacus_Asenov

Re: Indian Legion 1942-1945 photos

Post by Spartacus_Asenov » 23 Jul 2018, 00:29

Spartacus_Asenov wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 22:10
Bordeaux 1944.
Source:http://waralbum.ru/336356/

Spartacus_Asenov

Post by Spartacus_Asenov » 23 Jul 2018, 00:58

Spartacus_Asenov wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 12:56
The Indian Special Intelligence and Security Training Group (Special Police Group) with a member of Gestapo ( front center plain clothes ).
Source:Martin Bamber Book-For Free India.

Spartacus_Asenov

Post by Spartacus_Asenov » 23 Jul 2018, 15:34

Indian legion troops with ww1 era German 7.7cm gun.Note the field mutza cap,the Turban and German helmets all being worn in the same hun crew.An interesting mix of uniform items. Source:http://www.mourningtheancient.com/truth13b.htm
Attachments
truth13k.jpg

Spartacus_Asenov

Post by Spartacus_Asenov » 26 Jul 2018, 19:12

New pics find of Sikh soldier in the Wehrmacht.Source:http://militaryauction.org/s/russian-soldier-photo
Attachments
IMG_20180726_163727.png

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 27 Jul 2018, 06:18

Hi Spartacus,

From memory, the Indian Legion did not have field artillery, so the pictutre of the 7.7cm gun is presumably a propaganda one.

Cheers,

Sid.

fons

Post by fons » 06 Aug 2018, 11:04

Sid Guttridge wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 06:18
Hi Spartacus,

From memory, the Indian Legion did not have field artillery, so the pictutre of the 7.7cm gun is presumably a propaganda one.

Cheers,

Sid.
They had, I was told by Hartog it got left behind in France during the retreat. Despite not having a lot after that event they still managed to transfer a dutch artillery officer.

fons

hoot72

Post by hoot72 » 07 Aug 2018, 03:00

Spartacus_Asenov wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 15:34
Indian legion troops with ww1 era German 7.7cm gun.Note the field mutza cap,the Turban and German helmets all being worn in the same hun crew.An interesting mix of uniform items. Source:http://www.mourningtheancient.com/truth13b.htm
The gentleman with the turban is a sikh. The other's aren't. Hence why only one is wearing a turban. The other's are either Hindu or Muslim.

cheers

A
Whever we went, whatever we did, we quoted the songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgUhjWJVVCQ&t=199s

hoot72

Post by hoot72 » 07 Aug 2018, 03:19

A rare image of an Indian Legion soldier being trained on the use of the Tiger Tank. However, no tanks were assigned to the Indian Legion once they were deployed to Holland and France. A small number of Indian's were introduced to the Tiger Tank and how tank's functioned and learned how to move and fire over a 3 week period in late 1942.

Image and information from Avtar Singh's book "The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend: The Indian Legion and The Waffen-SS."
Tried to buy it in the UK and Australia but it's sold out with no updates on when a third batch will be printed or sold from what I was told.

Have tried contacting the publishing house in Mumbai but so far no reply about getting another copy.
Attachments
AS-494.png
AS-494.png (117.98 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
Last edited by hoot72 on 08 Aug 2018, 02:10, edited 2 times in total.
Whever we went, whatever we did, we quoted the songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgUhjWJVVCQ&t=199s

hoot72

Post by hoot72 » 07 Aug 2018, 03:25

Panzermahn wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 04:12
For Indian volunteers (I could hardly said volunteers though) during the Battle of Berlin, here are bits of pieces of sources I had

1. Semenov, fellow member of Feldgrau wrote two books (in Russian) back in 2005 and 2006 mentioned that he received a photo of an Indian POW from Berlin

2. Testimony of SS-Oscha Willi Rogmann (I believed his account during the battle of Berlin were mentioned in Le Tissier's book on Berlin), who mentioned that there is a single Indian SS legionnaire in his KG. Rogmann's testimony was kindly provided to me by James McLeod from Scotland

3. I am waiting for Rudolf Hartog's book, Sign of the Tiger in 2 weeks time to see if there is any infos on the Indian SS volunteers during Battle of Berlin. From what I know, there is an Indian SS guard company at the INA Center in the Berlin and most likely they were somewhat involved in the battle

Panzermahn
Thank you!
Last edited by hoot72 on 08 Aug 2018, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

fons

Post by fons » 07 Aug 2018, 20:54

hoot72 wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 03:19
Image and information from Avtar Singh's brilliant "The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend: The Indian Legion and The Waffen-SS."
Tried to buy it in the UK and Australia but it's sold out with no updates on when a third batch will be printed or sold from what I was told.
What exactly makes you say its a brilliant book? Having nearly all of the published books on the Indian Legion myself I can say it is a shameless rehash of previously published information from other books (he doesn't use a bibliography btw). Some of the images used are simply copied (whole pages even!) from other books. If, which I very doubt, he spoke to veterans it is completely unknown because he doesn't give any sources either. Highly unlikely. It's a new book for a new, I presume Indian, audience and adds nothing new to the books from the past.

From the books foreword;
The material contained in this book is a compilation of different work’s and stories told by veterans and historians. I have taken the opportunity to compile a time line and introduction to key personalities and key events from 1941-1945 relating exclusively to the Indian Legion to tell the story of the Indian legion.
Basically says it all right?
You will note I have deliberately kept the general retreat in 1945 short. What actually transpired can be confusing for the reader and would have become a book on its own if I were to identify each company and each Battalion and their individual actions within 4 weeks of chaos in Austria in April to May 1945.
Confusing for the reader? Would have become a book on its own? lol ... I DARE HIM to publish a book documenting individual company and battalion actions from April to May '45. This is a very very cheap excuse to not write it.
I have therefore chosen to simplify the last weeks of the legion historically and to reduce the timeline for easy understanding as to the main events that occurred during this period. What became obvious was the presence of the Indian’s was more of a burden rather than an asset to the German's in 1945. The legion were essentially marching back and forth into and out of Austria and Germany aimlessly until their capture and ultimate demise in May 1945.
He 'reduces the timeline' because there he actually has nothing to write not having the necessary information...

Brilliant? Stay clear...

Best regards,
fons

hoot72

Post by hoot72 » 08 Aug 2018, 02:05

fons wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 20:54
hoot72 wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 03:19
Image and information from Avtar Singh's brilliant "The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend: The Indian Legion and The Waffen-SS."
What exactly makes you say its a brilliant book? Having nearly all of the published books on the Indian Legion myself I can say it is a shameless rehash of previously published information from other books (he doesn't use a bibliography btw). Some of the images used are simply copied (whole pages even!) from other books. If, which I very doubt, he spoke to veterans it is completely unknown because he doesn't give any sources either. Highly unlikely. It's a new book for a new, I presume Indian, audience and adds nothing new to the books from the past.

From the books foreword;
The material contained in this book is a compilation of different work’s and stories told by veterans and historians. I have taken the opportunity to compile a time line and introduction to key personalities and key events from 1941-1945 relating exclusively to the Indian Legion to tell the story of the Indian legion.
Basically says it all right?
You will note I have deliberately kept the general retreat in 1945 short. What actually transpired can be confusing for the reader and would have become a book on its own if I were to identify each company and each Battalion and their individual actions within 4 weeks of chaos in Austria in April to May 1945.
Confusing for the reader? Would have become a book on its own? lol ... I DARE HIM to publish a book documenting individual company and battalion actions from April to May '45. This is a very very cheap excuse to not write it.
I have therefore chosen to simplify the last weeks of the legion historically and to reduce the timeline for easy understanding as to the main events that occurred during this period. What became obvious was the presence of the Indian’s was more of a burden rather than an asset to the German's in 1945. The legion were essentially marching back and forth into and out of Austria and Germany aimlessly until their capture and ultimate demise in May 1945.
He 'reduces the timeline' because there he actually has nothing to write not having the necessary information...

Brilliant? Stay clear...

Best regards,
fons
I think his book is easy to understand for people like me who do not want to read 1000 pages.

It is nice. And historical and great! I don't care about bibiliography. As long as what is being written is historic and correct, I am fine.
None of the books I have read about Indian soldiers in Europe has been accurate about the indian as a person, soldier or their role in Chandra Bose, great freedom fighter of India army.

At least someone from India has finally made a book rather than depending on incorrect, biased writing about how brutal the Indians were raping French women when it was restricted to 5-10 individuals out of 3500 soldiers.

It seems like you have an axe to grind with the book and the people who wrote it I think.

Jai Hind!

fons

Post by fons » 08 Aug 2018, 15:43

hoot72 wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 02:05
I think his book is easy to understand for people like me who do not want to read 1000 pages.

It is nice. And historical and great! I don't care about bibiliography. As long as what is being written is historic and correct, I am fine.
None of the books I have read about Indian soldiers in Europe has been accurate about the indian as a person, soldier or their role in Chandra Bose, great freedom fighter of India army.

At least someone from India has finally made a book rather than depending on incorrect, biased writing about how brutal the Indians were raping French women when it was restricted to 5-10 individuals out of 3500 soldiers.

It seems like you have an axe to grind with the book and the people who wrote it I think.

Jai Hind!
I was preparing a very lenghty answer on your post in which I was dismantling Avtar Singh's publication on a few points but I noticed you modified your previous version fundamentally in the meantime. If you think it's a great book, feel free to do so. But then again dont disqualify other authors, like you did in your previous reply. Before the modification.

Avtar Singh stole nearly all information for his publication from the same authors you later on in the, pre-modded answer, accused of being 'white' biased right wing racist authors? Thats very convincing...There are not that many books published on the Indian Legion so it has to be about them.
I personally knew 'white' Mr. Hartog and can tell you that, him being married to a Indian woman(!), he was F A R from being a racist (his wife was as german as can be btw). Both 'white' Mr. Bamber & Mr. Neeven invested loads of time and private money to publish a truly monumental 'biased' book? Just for being 'right wing racists' I ask you? Feel free to mention other books if you know of others, i'll be waiting.

You want easy to understand books? I want historically correct books, with as much detail as possible please.
You dont need a bibliography in a book? It's the first thing I check when I buy books...
Not having a bibliography or mentioning of sources makes it very easy to claim things, exactly like Singh is doing.

Singh is publishing fake/false information in his publication, both in writing and in captioning the pictures he uses. What about the Indian-Legion's 'Anti-Tank soldier' with the burning Free French Sherman in the background? Or what about the 'rare archived image of an Indian Legionnaire in the pea pattern uniform'? Date/Location unknown Singh add's, because it's all fake. None of the aknowledged authors have come across this picture and yet Avtar Singh, taking all his information from others, comes up with this 'rare' picture. Do you really believe that?

You seem to have something with axe's. In the pre-modded post it was authors grinding axe's with Indians and now you accuse me of having an axe to grind with the book and the author(s)? Again, I prefer - well researched - objective books.
Avtar Singh's book is none of that, it's historical trash. Biased historical trash in fact, making the Indian Legion into something it basically never was. And making up things along the way as well. The subtext alone says enough on that " The Indian Legion & The Waffen SS"? DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS ONE PEOPLE.

Last night I contacted the 'Tutukaka Project" (see the cover of Singh's book) on Facebook to ask if they actually had permission to reproduce from those other books. The whole page has quietly been removed in the meantime. Information is being forwarded to the authors he stole from as well. The guy is a fraud.

fons

btw. I would gladly like to hear which 'books' are biased or focus only on raping Indians.
lol, seems you changed your mind about the 'brilliance' of the book in your Indian-Legionnaire with his Tiger as well... hahah https://ibb.co/naBjiz

hoot72

Post by hoot72 » 09 Aug 2018, 04:34

fons wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 15:43
hoot72 wrote:

Jai Hind!
I was preparing a very lenghty answer on your post in which I was dismantling Avtar Singh's publication on a few points but I noticed you modified your previous version fundamentally in the meantime. If you think it's a great book, feel free to do so. But then again dont disqualify other authors, like you did in your previous reply. Before the modification.

Avtar Singh stole nearly all information for his publication from the same authors you later on in the, pre-modded answer, accused of being 'white' biased right wing racist authors? Thats very convincing...There are not that many books published on the Indian Legion so it has to be about them.
I personally knew 'white' Mr. Hartog and can tell you that, him being married to a Indian woman(!), he was F A R from being a racist (his wife was as german as can be btw). Both 'white' Mr. Bamber & Mr. Neeven invested loads of time and private money to publish a truly monumental 'biased' book? Just for being 'right wing racists' I ask you? Feel free to mention other books if you know of others, i'll be waiting.

You want easy to understand books? I want historically correct books, with as much detail as possible please.
You dont need a bibliography in a book? It's the first thing I check when I buy books...
Not having a bibliography or mentioning of sources makes it very easy to claim things, exactly like Singh is doing.

Singh is publishing fake/false information in his publication, both in writing and in captioning the pictures he uses. What about the Indian-Legion's 'Anti-Tank soldier' with the burning Free French Sherman in the background? Or what about the 'rare archived image of an Indian Legionnaire in the pea pattern uniform'? Date/Location unknown Singh add's, because it's all fake. None of the aknowledged authors have come across this picture and yet Avtar Singh, taking all his information from others, comes up with this 'rare' picture. Do you really believe that?

You seem to have something with axe's. In the pre-modded post it was authors grinding axe's with Indians and now you accuse me of having an axe to grind with the book and the author(s)? Again, I prefer - well researched - objective books.
Avtar Singh's book is none of that, it's historical trash. Biased historical trash in fact, making the Indian Legion into something it basically never was. And making up things along the way as well. The subtext alone says enough on that " The Indian Legion & The Waffen SS"? DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS ONE PEOPLE.

Last night I contacted the 'Tutukaka Project" (see the cover of Singh's book) on Facebook to ask if they actually had permission to reproduce from those other books. The whole page has quietly been removed in the meantime. Information is being forwarded to the authors he stole from as well. The guy is a fraud.

fons

btw. I would gladly like to hear which 'books' are biased or focus only on raping Indians.
lol, seems you changed your mind about the 'brilliance' of the book in your Indian-Legionnaire with his Tiger as well... hahah https://ibb.co/naBjiz
HELLO!

Just because I do not live in Germany or am from europe does not make me a lesser person the way you are saying. You knew Hartog so good for you. I didn't call Hartog a racist.

Maybe the publisher banned you for harrassing and being rude? I would if you were as rude to me here like you have been. Why reply to a crazy person who is talking rubbish?

What you decide to do with the book publishers is your business. I am not interested in your petty sqwables with people. I read for leisure and for knowledge. Not to go to forums and to get attacked by fanatics. Look at how you are not only attacking me on the forum but also the book writer just because you do not agree with his facts or his story. You are attacking everyone now who disagrees with you.

Maybe the Indians had special uniforms which was never shared with the reading audience before but is now known to be a reality. I think if I remember the book, there were photos posted of Indians in the special uniform.

Indians destroyed amerikan and frenchy sherman tanks outside of dijon. I did a quick check online and the information is there so such a battle did happen and a number of Indians were awarded decorations for their actions. So, what lies are you referring to?

I only see you as someone who has a axe to grind with anyone who disagrees with you, especially if they have different thinking or opinion. Not everyone will agree with you on everything in life but you are determined to trash people as you feel.

I like the book. It is a nicely written story book. For soneone like me who is not a first english language speaker, it is good for me.

I wish to buy another copy if I can find one.

Good bye.

*Note: I will block you after this as I do not wish to discuss or read postings by fanatical white racists from political parties in europe.*

fons

Post by fons » 09 Aug 2018, 09:24

hoot72 wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 04:34
fons wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 15:43
hoot72 wrote:

Jai Hind!

fons

HELLO!

Just because I do not live in Germany or am from europe does not make me a lesser person the way you are saying. You knew Hartog so good for you. I didn't call Hartog a racist.

Maybe the publisher banned you for harrassing and being rude? I would if you were as rude to me here like you have been. Why reply to a crazy person who is talking rubbish?

What you decide to do with the book publishers is your business. I am not interested in your petty sqwables with people. I read for leisure and for knowledge. Not to go to forums and to get attacked by fanatics. Look at how you are not only attacking me on the forum but also the book writer just because you do not agree with his facts or his story. You are attacking everyone now who disagrees with you.

Maybe the Indians had special uniforms which was never shared with the reading audience before but is now known to be a reality. I think if I remember the book, there were photos posted of Indians in the special uniform.

Indians destroyed amerikan and frenchy sherman tanks outside of dijon. I did a quick check online and the information is there so such a battle did happen and a number of Indians were awarded decorations for their actions. So, what lies are you referring to?

I only see you as someone who has a axe to grind with anyone who disagrees with you, especially if they have different thinking or opinion. Not everyone will agree with you on everything in life but you are determined to trash people as you feel.

I like the book. It is a nicely written story book. For soneone like me who is not a first english language speaker, it is good for me.

Good bye.

*Note: I will block you after this as I do not wish to discuss or read postings by fanatical white racists from political parties in europe.*
After reading through some Indian Legion discussions of recent times, it seems that you sometimes have a serious problem understanding what others write back to you. It also looks like it is difficult for you to deal with answers from others, a bit of a problem on a 'discussion forum' right? It seems that all comments about the Indian Legion that don't fit your view of the subject immediately are 'white', 'racist' or 'biased' (not to mention 'axe-grinding'). The same also seems to apply to the writers of those comments. Through your use of the aforementioned terms, I get the impression that you are actually latent yourself what you accuse others of.

You modify your post, afterwards you lie about it, you put words in my mouth and you accuse me of being something I'm not. You are a untrustworthy discussion partner sir. You will probably have a very long block list by now...

best regards,
fons

antwony

Post by antwony » 09 Aug 2018, 13:33

hoot72 wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 04:34
HELLO!

Good bye.

The Vosges, where the Indian's may have destroyed an American/ French Sherman much later on, is not "near Dijon". By the time the Free French Army liberated Dijon, on the 11th of September, the Indian Legion had (according to I presume Hartog) already pulled out of Champlitte-et-le-Prélot which is about 50km. to the north-

The link below was taken from the thread "The Indian Volunteers in the German Army and Waffen-SS" where it was posted by member Histan [quote=histan post_id=2074090 time=1492 ... _id=27846] . I believe it to be from Hartog's book.

Records of the French Resistance place the Indian's in Baranthaume, to the west of Champlitte-et-le-Prélot, on September the 1st. where they razed the village and murdered 7 locals and raped 12 others.

Le 1er septembre 1944 à Baranthaume (commune de Saint-Germain-des-Bois), suite à un accrochage avec les FTP d’Alcide Métier, une unité hindoue de la Wehrmacht brûle les maisons une à une puis à Levet se livre au viol de douze femmes. Ils tuent cinq personnes à Dun-sur-Auron, pillent et abattent deux paysans au travail dans leurs champs.

http://www.resistance-deportation18.fr/ ... ?article60

The Resistance records acknowledge that there had been fighting between French Communist Partisans and the Indians in that region at that time. Hartog mentions battles with French opponents, but fails to mention who they were. I presume this to be the FTP (partisans). Hartog specifically mentions that the route of the Indians retreat was changed to avoid American/ French armour. Hartog fails to mention Baranthaume (in the one page extract I have access to), but mentions burning the village of Dun-sun- Arron.
fons wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 09:24

After reading through some Indian Legion discussions of recent times, it seems that you sometimes have a serious problem understanding what others write back to you. It also looks like it is difficult for you to deal with answers from others, a bit of a problem on a 'discussion forum' right? It seems that all comments about the Indian Legion that don't fit your view of the subject immediately are 'white', 'racist' or 'biased' (not to mention 'axe-grinding'). The same also seems to apply to the writers of those comments. Through your use of the aforementioned terms, I get the impression that you are actually latent yourself what you accuse others of.

You modify your post, afterwards you lie about it, you put words in my mouth and you accuse me of being something I'm not. You are a untrustworthy discussion partner sir. You will probably have a very long block list by now...

best regards,
fons
While I don't personally believe this, you could argue that Hoot, unintentionally, fails to understand his source material and lacks the critical reading skills to recognise how dubious his sources are. But, for me, given the nature of what he's an apologist for, and the nature of crimes his denying, I find him quite sinister

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”