Serbian Collaboration

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
GLADIVM

Re: Serbian Collaboration

Post by GLADIVM » 27 Aug 2012, 13:56

Good to see a revival of this thread after nini years .
This is an interesting quotation . Vlad 77 how would you categorize Ljotic ?
A religious visionary ?
A clerical fascsist ?
A conservative thinker with church leanings ?

Yours
GLADIVM

vlad77

Post by vlad77 » 27 Aug 2012, 17:38

In short, like a orthodox thinker. In his thoughts, he often refers on God. God was his spiritual vertical, way, and sense of life. But let`s back on theme: Serbian Colaboration in WW2. Serbian Volunteers Corps, Nedic, Ljotic. (core of SVC were members of Ljotić movement Zbor), are cooperating with the occupiers Germans, in the manner and to the extent it was in the serbian interest. Unfortunately, Draza Mihailovic was a great patriot and martyr, but he was politically illiterate. He thought, as opposed to Ljotic and Nedic, that judaic Anglo-Americans will help to serbian people and that they are our friends. But that was mistake. Draza Mihailovic not realized the danger of the communist virus, at least not in the right way, so that it has entered into an alliance with them, allowing them to mobilize in Serbia, deceives people, carried out terror and anarchy. He lifted with them unhappy uprising against the Germans, which had disastrous consequences for the Serbian people. It was necessary to suppress the communist revolution in general, and their terror [(both directly and indirectly (through provoking reprisals occupiers)] of the Serbian people. For Serbian people was needed someone to organize it, and to defend its interests in front of the occupiers. It was essential to accepting hundreds of thousands of refugees from NDH, and all of them dressed, placed, war orphans cared for. Secure food for all people in war time. For all that educated the government of Milan Nedic, and Serbian Volunteers (ljotićevci) were Nedic's Serbian army. They are the only group in Serbia, which was before the war knew what communism was!!! and general during the war were spiritually, ideologically most elaborate army in this region. Therefore they first rushed into battle against the communist evil and were lighter anti-Communist potential od Serbian people.

This is also important to say..
Statement of Dr. Turner, civil direcor of Belgrade on trial after the war:
""I want, but I have to state just the facts, and it certainly wants and high court. On that Conference concluded that Serbian government commissar with the Minister Milan Acimovic not necessary authority, and she failed to stop Serbian (prim. he mean on Communist and probably on Cetniks) attacks and sabotage actions on German army. From the german High command ordered that the irregular state of all of its might to stop. And in Serbia must forestall rule and order, as required in the conduct of an occupied country. It was decided to search Serbian figures of authority that will appease Serbia, and the choice fell on the former defense minister, of General Milan Nedic. Nedic i found in his apartment, where he was under guard. He was totally dejected man, who was recently in a massive explosion in Smederevo lost her only son and daughter in law. When I presented the proposal of military occupation authorities and the reason for my visit resolutely said: ""You are out of mind. You're crazy." Yes, just like he said "You're crazy." He refused me. I'm back among to my generals with deep conviction that djeneral Nedic is not the best choice and personality that we have to find another solution. But the generals were to reject my opinion and ordered me to go back in Nedic and tell him the ultimate form following: "'If you refuse to help us calm Serbia Fuhrer decided to occupy Belgrade and Macva Ustasha troops. Northern Serbia will submit to the administration of Hungarians, and the rest of Serbia will be divided on the Bulgarian occupation zone and the Albanian troops will get a whole Sandzak and the Administration to Kraljevo city. Where will be the Bulgarian border zone of occupation."When iagain refused by djeneral Nedic, i advised him openly, what is the solution found. He was silent for half an hour, then he quietly said: "I agree." That is, a high honor, so we managed to form a government of General Milan Nedic, finished his presentation by dr. Turner.
Nedic sacrificed himself to save the biological Serbian people in war time. He did not allow enemies to exterminate the whole of Serbia, such as could hardly wait the Ustasha, the Hungarians, the Bulgarians and the Albanians.

(my english is not perfect, sorry for mistakes).
jasenovac.eu

kiseli

Post by kiseli » 27 Aug 2012, 21:46

Nedic sacrificed himself to save the biological Serbian people in war time. He did not allow enemies to exterminate the whole of Serbia, such as could hardly wait the Ustasha, the Hungarians, the Bulgarians and the Albanians.
Somehow Germans don't share this sentiment.....
On 28 April 1941, Gerhard Feine, counsellor of the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs stationed in Serbia, sent a telegram to Berlin asking how he might get into contact with Nedić (who was, in fact, under house arrest). Subsequently, on 6 June 1941, Karl Krauss, chief of the Gestapo in Belgrade from April to October 1941, sent a letter to Nedić, in order to establish contact. By 14 July, the Germans were discussing Nedić as a candidate to succeed Aćimović.On July 13,1941 Djordje Peric even published an article about Milan Nedic and his intention to cooperate with Germany while he was a minister of the army (“Slucaj generala Nedica”,Novo Vreme,Belgrade,13 July 1941) Since Ljotić and Aćimović disliked each other intensely, each of them supported Nedić for the post in order to prevent the other from taking the leadership post. Ljotić has been credited with having initiated the fall of the government of commissars, which was not unexpected since Nedić had helped him even before the war to print Zbor's newspaper.
At the end of July, Nedić was released from house arrest.In mid-August, the Germans brought Dragiša Cvetković (from Niš) and Vladko Maček (from Zagreb) to Belgrade to discuss the Serbian government crisis. The Germans were interested in what Maček thought the reaction would be in NDH ruling circles to the appointment of Nedić. Meanwhile, the Germans also contacted Nedić to see if he would be willing to assume the leadership post in a reconstructed government. Nedić told General Heinrich Danckelmann, the German military commander in Serbia at the time, that he had nine conditions which needed to be fulfilled if he was to assume that position, including that the Serbian government be granted enhanced competence and authority, that the sick and the aged be released from internment, that Serbia be allowed to set up an armed force of up to 10,000 men, and that Serbian borders be extended in the west, at the expense of the NDH. .(Cseslaw Madajcyk, “Restserbien” unter Deutscher Militarverwaltung,” in “The Third Reich and Yugoslavia 1933-1945”, Belgrade;Institute for Contemporary History and Narodna knjiga 1977, page 460)
Apparently, Nedić had the impression that Danckelmann had agreed to his conditions and, for that matter, a circular sent by Harald Turner to German district commanders in Serbia seemed to offer some confirmation. Thus, on 27 August 1941, Nedić agreed to assume the post of minister-president in the government and two days later, on the recommendation of administrative headquarters, Danckelmann dissolved the government of commissars and appointed a 'government of national salvation' headed by Nedić. By way of enhancing the status of the incoming government, German authorities allowed that the members of the cabinet could be called ministers, rather than commissars.

No. 538
4927/E25 8372-79
The Office of the Plenipotentiary of the Foreign Ministry With the Military Commander in Serbia to the Foreign Ministry
CONFIDENTIAL
Pol. S No. 2
Subject : The situation in Serbia,
I. Military
II. Administrative
III. Prospects

BELGRADE, December 3,1941.
Pol. IV 6459 g

It would be in the interest of the Reich to leave the carrying out of the necessary operations largely to the Serbs, in order to save her own forces. A prerequisite for this is that one trust them sufficiently. In this respect it can be said today after General Nedic has been Minister President for three months that so far he has justified the trust placed
in him. Called upon at the most difficult time, he has proved to be resolute and of firm character in carrying out the thankless task once he undertook it. Unperturbed by all the hostility, unshaken by the abuse that comes from London, this old soldier goes his difficult way.Today he is so much identified with Germany in the eyes of the Serbian
people that it is hardly possible for him any more to abandon this line. He has shed Serbian blood in fratricidal struggle, and with this his position is fixed once and for all.
In his government there are men such as Minister of the Interior Acimovic, who is an experienced police expert and for many years has taken entirely the German
line; also Minister of Economics Olcan, a follower of Dr. Ljotic, who as minister has himself often fought successfully at the head of volunteer units against the communist bands; and Minister of Education Professor Jonic, who through the new university law has made an important contribution to the clean-up of academic life in Serbia which had been infected for a long time. Furthermore the Nedic Government can rely upon the support of the Chetnik leader Pecanac, who has led a large number of these volunteers to the cause of tranquillity and order. Also to be mentioned, and not in the last place either, is Dr. Ljotic, leader of the "Zbor" movement, who has not joined the government himself, to be sure, because he is evidently keeping himself in reserve for a later time, but who has made available a number of his followers for important ministerial posts and has placed his authority in the scales in favor of General Nedic. Dr. Ljotic, the old enemy of the communists, Freemasons and Jews in Serbia, represents a moral force which must not be underestimated. He is therefore particularly valuable to the Nedic Government, to which he has also made available numerous volunteers from his movement....................................
Although it is hardly possible today to predict how things will develop here in Serbia, one can nevertheless determine that a beginning has been made in the right direction.
The credit for this belongs to a large extent to Minister President Nedic, and one can therefore justify giving him the trust which he needs in order to continue his work successfully. It is self-evident that such trust must not be blind and that under the existing war conditions a German force capable of putting down at once any new major attempt at insurrection must remain in such a restless country as is Serbia.

FEINE
from: "DOCUMENTS ON GERMAN FOREIGN POLICY 1918-1945 ,SERIES D (1937-1945) ,VOLUME X I II, THE WAR YEARS, June 23-December 11, 1941"

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 27 Aug 2012, 22:05

Statement of Dr. Turner, civil direcor of Belgrade on trial after the war:
Vlad77, what's the source for Turner's statement?

G.

P.S. Harald Turner was the chief of German military-administrative staff in occupied Serbia, whose task was primarily to supervise the work of Serbian quisling administration (Tomasevich, Occupation and Collaboration, p. 75).

vlad77

Post by vlad77 » 28 Aug 2012, 00:44

"Милан Недић" Петар Мартиновић- Бајица
jasenovac.eu

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » 06 Oct 2012, 06:27

Killing Bosnian Muslims because of Croatian fascist Idealogy is nothing for why the Chetniks went and slaughtered nearly 300,000 civilians.

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 06 Oct 2012, 14:28

Hi twiggy,

and welcome to the forum. Please check the guidelines at

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=53962

I would emphasize three points:

1. Posting in APPROPRIATE threads.

2. PROVIDING sources.

3. Avoiding OPINION posts.

G.

Chinaski1917

Post by Chinaski1917 » 20 Oct 2012, 14:36

" that judaic Anglo-Americans"

excuse me ???

vinnievega

Post by vinnievega » 05 Nov 2012, 00:13

Is there a thread about the Ustashi? I noticed the one about the Croatian legion in Russia but nothing about Pavelic, the Ustashi, or the Independent State of Croatia.

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 05 Nov 2012, 04:46

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 06 Nov 2012, 02:20

Perry Biddiscombe's work The SS Hunter Battalions (chapter Gale of the World, Tempus 2006) mentioned that the primary reason why the "collaboration" between Germany and Serbia did not progress much is due to the Austrian "clique" at RSHA (Kaltenbrunner, Skorzeny, e.g. including Hitler himself) detested all things Serbian (probably from the influence of the Austro-Hungarian Empire mindset in dealing with Serbian nationalism).

However some Germans thought that Serbia could be considered as the "Prussia of the Balkans" but again it did not get much traction with the Austrian "clique" of the German command.

Cartaphilus

Post by Cartaphilus » 08 Aug 2018, 20:57

Hi friends.

Do you know who is the German Government/Diplomatic Officer that we can see here with Nedic?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 08 Aug 2018, 22:41

Hello, Cartaphilus

I know that he was misidentified in the Yugoslav post-war literature as Meyszner, but I'm not sure whether I've ever discovered his true identity. He was obviously a diplomat (as you yourself correctly wrote) and not an SS and police commander.

I think it would be better for you to post the question here viewforum.php?f=45 or here viewforum.php?f=5 since it's a German diplomat and not a foreign volunteer/collaborator.

Cheers,
Ivan

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 10 Mar 2022, 18:18

Cartaphilus wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 20:57
Do you know who is the German Government/Diplomatic Officer that we can see here with Nedic?

image.jpg
image.jpg (7.75 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Ivan Ž. wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 22:41
I know that he was misidentified in the Yugoslav post-war literature as Meyszner, but I'm not sure whether I've ever discovered his true identity. He was obviously a diplomat (as you yourself correctly wrote) and not an SS and police commander.

I think it would be better for you to post the question here viewforum.php?f=45 or here viewforum.php?f=5 since it's a German diplomat and not a foreign volunteer/collaborator.
Finally: the diplomat misidentified by some as HSSPF August Meyszner is in fact Dr Werner Junker, Dr Hermann Neubacher's deputy in Belgrade. The photo was taken on Heldengedenktag 1944. Standing on Nedić's other side is Franz Neuhausen (out of frame; his belly is partially visible). Seen on the far left is a Luftwaffe Obergefreiter.

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”