The Thailand Ambassador was Hitler's Last Visitor?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Balrog

Re: The Thailand Ambassador was Hitler's Last Visitor?

Post by Balrog » 15 Aug 2016, 16:03

Thank you, Wisarut.

Are these books available in English?

Perhaps he mentions meeting Hitler in his Russian prison memoir?

How important is Maj General Phra PrasartPhitthayayut (Wan Choothin)? Is he still a well known historical figure in Thai history?

I'm really curious about him. He's really interesting. I appreciate any information you can provide us with.

Wisarut

Post by Wisarut » 19 Aug 2016, 12:30

Balrog wrote:Thank you, Wisarut.

Are these books available in English? - Perhaps he mentions meeting Hitler in his Russian prison memoir?

How important is Maj General Phra PrasartPhitthayayut (Wan Choothin)? Is he still a well known historical figure in Thai history?

I'm really curious about him. He's really interesting. I appreciate any information you can provide us with.
NO - ONLY in Thai as it is a part of crematorium tome for his passing wife.
Maj General Phra PrasartPhitthayayut (Wan Choothin) was one of the 4 Prussian graduated Army men who lead People party for the 1932 revolution to end Absolute Monarchy ... but the conflict with the rising French Faction (the real mastermind behind the 1932 revolution) has forced Maj General Phra PrasartPhitthayayut (Wan Choothin) to be kicked upstairs as Thai Ambassador to Berlin

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 19 Aug 2016, 14:48

Is Maj General Phra PrasartPhitthayayut well known in Thailand today? Is he remembered in Thailand as a hero or a villain?

Wisarut

Post by Wisarut » 19 Aug 2016, 18:22

Balrog wrote:Is Maj General Phra PrasartPhitthayayut well known in Thailand today? Is he remembered in Thailand as a hero or a villain?
For the case of Maj General Phra PrasartPhitthayayut, he is just another political victim just like fellow Four Musketeers.

1. Colonel Phraya Songsuradej (Deva Bandhumasena) - a fellow Siamese army men who graduated from Prussian Military Academy or (Hauptkadettenanstalt) in the town of Lichterfelde, near Berlin, Germany and the REAL brain behind Army faction of People Party. Colonel Phraya Songsuradej was forced to live in exile in Jan 1939 in Saigon before moving to Phnom Penn after the purge due to the friction with the Leader before being succumbled by mysterious disease after his disciple has given some food in 1944 and his disciple (Captain) who followed Colonel Phraya Songsuradej to Phnom Penn was the one who recorded all about the later life of Colonel Phraya Songsuradej until he died.

https://th.wikisource.org/wiki/%E0%B8%9 ... 4%E0%B8%8A

2. General Phraya Phahonphonphayuhasena (Phot Phahonyothin - a Statesman after his retirement from Prime Minister in November 1938) another fellow Siamese army men who graduated from Prussian Military Academy or (Hauptkadettenanstalt) in the town of Lichterfelde, near Berlin, Germany. General Phraya Phahonphonphayuhasena had lamented to his fellow Army while he has been evacuated to Bang Pa In after the bomb raid in Bangkok in 1944 that the warning from the fellow Army men who have been purged by 1932 Revolution has become a reality - Once those younger Army men and Civilian bureaucrats have gained power after clinging with him during premiership, they will eventually abandon him by kicking upstairs to become powerless statesman.

3. Colonel Phraya Ritthiakhaney (Sala Emasiri) - another fellow Siamese army men who graduated from Prussian Military Academy or (Hauptkadettenanstalt) in the town of Lichterfelde, near Berlin, Germany who has been forced to live in exile in Penang after the purge against Colonel Phraya Songsuradej - He has interviews with correspondent which give his account of 1932 Revolution a few years before he passed away in 1967
http://www.reurnthai.com/index.php?topic=3363.390

Here is the photo of Four Musketeers - Left to Right:
Phraya Songsuradej. Phraya Phaholpholphayuhasena, Phraya Ritthiakhaney and Phra PrasartPhitthayayut, the Four Musketeers or the Four Tiger Soldiers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siamese_r ... on_of_1932

More about 1932 revolution as Infographic can be seen here:
https://magic.piktochart.com/output/531 ... revolution

Pinot

Post by Pinot » 03 Apr 2017, 03:35

It's great to see how much information has been posted since I made this post. I haven't looked back for awhile and I'm really amazed.

I asked the New York Public library about this and they wrote back, "In this case, since the topic in question is simply beyond the scope of the expertise of this reference service, please feel free to contact the National Library of Thailand." They did reference this post in the Axis History Forum, however.

Thanks for all the help. I guess we still don't know what took place and whether the Thailand representative and the Furor shared some Somtam (papaya salad). I plan to write up a blog post with this new information. It's not exactly a hot topic of conversation here in the Land of Smiles, but I find it fascinating.

Wisarut

Post by Wisarut » 23 Jul 2018, 09:41

Now, the last chater about Maj Gen Pra Prasartphitthayayut (Wan Choothin) has been issued - After 7 months and a half in a POW Prison in Moscow, he has been released back to Thailand in 1946, Pra Prasartphitthayayut (Wan Choothin) has been visited by Gen Phraya Phahon (Statesman) who was suffering from stroke to become handcapped. Later on around 1948, Pra Prasartphitthayayut (Wan Choothin) has worked as Director of Postal and Telegraph Dept and the Leader has come to see Pra Prasartphitthayayut (Wan Choothin) when the Leader was become PM once again.
During the conversation with the leader, Pra Prasartphitthayayut (Wan Choothin) has warned the leader about the way to nurture Democracy which the leader has accepted.

Due to the suffering from the frigid prison in Moscow, Maj Gen Pra Prasartphitthayayut (Wan Choothin) had to learn how to turn fruit into booze for himself, causing the liver diseases that killed him on 4 December 1949, ending the colorful life for good.
https://www.dailynews.co.th/article/656297

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 08 Aug 2018, 19:11

This has been an extremely interesting thread.

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 08 Aug 2018, 22:53

Where did the Thai Ambassador fall into soviet captivity? Berlin?

Best
Halfdan S.

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 15 Oct 2018, 23:03

GregSingh wrote:
14 Aug 2016, 06:28
You can see that just before 20th of April 1945, Yong Pholabun from Kingdom of Thailand embassy visited AH.

Then on the 20th we have:

Vizeadmiral K. Atz ?,
Sea captain - Y. Taniguchi ?
Allah Chan, Afghanistan envoy
Botschaftsrat Kawahara ?
Prasat Chuthin, Kingdom of Thailand envoy
The Japanese diplomats mentioned apparently didn't leave Berlin until April 20th, but didn't seem to get to congratulate AH in person: https://books.google.dk/books?id=IkBEDw ... hi&f=false

Best
Halfdan S.

Wisarut

Post by Wisarut » 08 Aug 2019, 13:24

Halfdan S. wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 22:53
Where did the Thai Ambassador fall into soviet captivity? Berlin?

Best
Halfdan S.
Phra Prasatphitthayayut (Wan Choothin) had been captured by Red Army while hiding in the underground bomb shelter on 27 April 1945 and he along those workers of Royal Thai Embassy in Berlin had been in a concentration camp in Moscow suburb for 7 months before being released so he could go back to Thailand.
https://www.dailynews.co.th/article/621355

dkny5334

Post by dkny5334 » 09 Aug 2019, 22:37

ImageGreetings all. I’m a Thai German (4th generation).
I just recently found this forum via my research into my family who was a Prussian official, along with a group of other experts were employed by the Siam government pre-wwi.

Thailand has a very long relations with Germany since king Rama the 4th. This relation was a complicated one during wwi when all Germans living in Thailand were arrested into POW camps because Thailand and England are allies. The relationship reconnected when there was a military dictatorship in Thailand by the military which by then Thailand has already reestablished its relations with Germany (Nazi government) and a new set of diplomatic envoy was sent to Berlin posting.
The Nazi government invited the Thai government at the time to send several of its elite army officials on a military exchange program with the Wehrmacht. This led to all of the Thai military officials who were sent to Germany to be assigned to the German Army (Heer) and equivalent military ranks were given and it was regulations that these Thai military officials had to wear uniforms of the Wehrmacht during their time in Germany.
These Thai military officials are still officers of the Thai royal military and as such had to report in at the Thai embassy Berlin on regular basis.
During April 1945, the Thai ambassador (after visiting the bunker); order the evacuation of the embassy. Thai embassy officials as well as several of the Thai military officials who were serving in the Wehrmacht evacuated toward Austria along side German citizens and large groups of German Wehrmacht; where they eventually ran into a US Army and British Army group. You can imagine the confusions of allies officers seeing a group of Asian in their Wehrmacht uniforms.
The allies later on decided to assigned these Thai military officials as well as several high ranking embassy officials to German POW camp in England (high ranking officers camp). Where several of the high ranking Wehrmacht generals had trained Thai military officers since Prussian Officer schools (pre-wwi).

I have attached a picture of the Siam diplomatic envoy to Berlin during the Nazi government time. This picture was taken during a welcome dinner hosted by Dr. Joseph Goebbels to welcome the newly appointed envoy to Germany.
I have also attached pictures of a book written by the last surviving Thai military officer who was serving in the German Army during wwii. He retired in France.
Attachments
E5C1E452-0CAF-4B4F-B345-447D62F617E0.jpeg
E5C1E452-0CAF-4B4F-B345-447D62F617E0.jpeg (36.03 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
580C453D-D7AD-461C-A50A-FFB77DD01A03.jpeg
580C453D-D7AD-461C-A50A-FFB77DD01A03.jpeg (26.08 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
9FA4547F-0418-457E-A8E3-A6700574F73B.png
Last edited by dkny5334 on 10 Aug 2019, 05:22, edited 4 times in total.

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 09 Aug 2019, 23:54

Thanks for both your contributions.

Regards
Halfdan S.

Wisarut

Post by Wisarut » 28 Mar 2020, 01:26

dkny5334 wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 22:37
ImageGreetings all. I’m a Thai German (4th generation).
I just recently found this forum via my research into my family who was a Prussian official, along with a group of other experts were employed by the Siam government pre-wwi.

Thailand has a very long relations with Germany since king Rama the 4th. This relation was a complicated one during wwi when all Germans living in Thailand were arrested into POW camps because Thailand and England are allies. The relationship reconnected when there was a military dictatorship in Thailand by the military which by then Thailand has already reestablished its relations with Germany (Nazi government) and a new set of diplomatic envoy was sent to Berlin posting.
The Nazi government invited the Thai government at the time to send several of its elite army officials on a military exchange program with the Wehrmacht. This led to all of the Thai military officials who were sent to Germany to be assigned to the German Army (Heer) and equivalent military ranks were given and it was regulations that these Thai military officials had to wear uniforms of the Wehrmacht during their time in Germany.
These Thai military officials are still officers of the Thai royal military and as such had to report in at the Thai embassy Berlin on regular basis.
During April 1945, the Thai ambassador (after visiting the bunker); order the evacuation of the embassy. Thai embassy officials as well as several of the Thai military officials who were serving in the Wehrmacht evacuated toward Austria along side German citizens and large groups of German Wehrmacht; where they eventually ran into a US Army and British Army group. You can imagine the confusions of allies officers seeing a group of Asian in their Wehrmacht uniforms.
The allies later on decided to assigned these Thai military officials as well as several high ranking embassy officials to German POW camp in England (high ranking officers camp). Where several of the high ranking Wehrmacht generals had trained Thai military officers since Prussian Officer schools (pre-wwi).

I have attached a picture of the Siam diplomatic envoy to Berlin during the Nazi government time. This picture was taken during a welcome dinner hosted by Dr. Joseph Goebbels to welcome the newly appointed envoy to Germany.
I have also attached pictures of a book written by the last surviving Thai military officer who was serving in the German Army during wwii. He retired in France.
Aha, I could spot Captain Wicha Dhitawat, the author of Thailaders in Nazi Army who later becomes Colonel before his transfer to Minitry of foreign Affairs. This book has been originally printed in 1948, and being reprinted as his crematorium tome in 1977. The 4th publication by Sarakhadee is even more comprehensive though.
https://pantip.com/topic/30736228

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”