Hotel zum Türken

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Selveje

Re: Hotel zum Türken

Post by Selveje » 18 Aug 2018, 19:54

Does anybody know if Hotel Zum Türken has re- opened?
It did not open up for the 2018 season due to maintenance- work.

harryvongebhardt

Post by harryvongebhardt » 19 Aug 2018, 20:18

Hotel is open!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 20 Aug 2018, 21:14

Thanks for this very welcome news, Harry!
:thumbsup:
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

nammie44

Post by nammie44 » 23 Oct 2018, 19:32

I wonder why the Hotel zum Turken wasn't torn down since it was so close to the Berghof.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 24 Oct 2018, 00:04

The Türken was not torn down due to the persistence and fortitude of the owner’s daughter, Therese Schuster Partner. Frau Partner with her two daughters (one was the future Ingrid Scharfenberg) moved into the ruins in late 1945 in order to reclaim the property that the family had been forced to sell by Bormann. Through many trials and tribulations (including being thrown out of the ruins by the U.S. military authorities twice) over some years, finally in 1949 a settlement was reached with the Bavarian government in which the ownership was returned to the Schuster descendants, but only after payment of 69,000 Deutsch Marks (final DM 22,000, considering restoration and rebuilding costs that Therese Partner had already put into the property). Therese Partner immediately set out to restore the Türken as a guesthouse and inn, and by the time the Obersalzberg ruins were removed in 1952, the Türken was largely restored and was again a going concern. The Türken was the only former private property on the Obersalzberg that was again in the hands of the original owners. Over the years there have been several efforts to close the Hotel zum Türken (especially the tunnel entrance) and either tear it down or appropriate it by the government, but the Schuster descendants have so far always prevailed. (all this info from the late Frau Ingrid Scharfenberg)

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 25 Oct 2018, 16:16

harryvongebhardt wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 20:18
Hotel is open!
Hey - that's good news!

Hopefully it stays that way for a while, as we're looking forward to making another visit this Fall . . .
History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity. - Cicero

Gianni Lepri

Post by Gianni Lepri » 22 Oct 2022, 10:59

Any news on the future of the hotel after the sale? The Türken site is away and google search for the past months finds nothing.

v60pih

Post by v60pih » 26 Dec 2022, 20:26

Yesterday everything was closed and it looks that it is for a while.

NationalParkExplorer

Post by NationalParkExplorer » 07 Feb 2023, 10:43

I had heard about "Hotel zum Türken" from a friend who raved about the charming atmosphere and scenic surroundings. So, when I found myself in Berchtesgaden, I decided to book a room for the night.

As I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by an eerie stillness that seemed to hang in the air. The staff were friendly enough, but there was something unsettling about their forced smiles and rapid eye movements. My room was cozy and inviting, with a comfortable bed and a small fireplace, but as the night fell, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched.

I tried to brush it off and went to bed, but I was awoken in the middle of the night by strange noises coming from the walls. I tried to ignore it, thinking it was just the old pipes and settling of the building, but the noises only grew louder and more insistent.

In the morning, I confronted the staff about the strange noises, but they simply smiled and shrugged, saying it was just the old hotel settling. I didn't believe them, but I didn't want to ruin my trip, so I decided to leave the hotel and continue my travels.

Years later, I found myself talking to a local about my stay at "Hotel zum Türken" and was shocked to learn that the hotel was rumored to be haunted. The locals whispered of strange occurrences and ghostly apparitions that could be seen wandering the halls at night.

I couldn't help but shiver as I thought back to my own experience at the hotel and realized that I had been a witness to something truly terrifying.

That's what I remember about Hotel zum Türken.

Biber

Post by Biber » 07 Feb 2023, 15:29

NationalParkExplorer wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 10:43
I had heard about "Hotel zum Türken" from a friend who raved about the charming atmosphere and scenic surroundings. So, when I found myself in Berchtesgaden, I decided to book a room for the night.

... [cut so as to not take up so much space.]

Years later, I found myself talking to a local about my stay at "Hotel zum Türken" and was shocked to learn that the hotel was rumored to be haunted. The locals whispered of strange occurrences and ghostly apparitions that could be seen wandering the halls at night.

I couldn't help but shiver as I thought back to my own experience at the hotel and realized that I had been a witness to something truly terrifying.

Fun.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Feb 2023, 18:46

NationalParkExplorer wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 10:43

As I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by an eerie stillness that seemed to hang in the air. The staff were friendly enough, but there was something unsettling about their forced smiles and rapid eye movements. My room was cozy and inviting, with a comfortable bed and a small fireplace, but as the night fell, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched.

And, exactly which room did you spend the night in? You see, I have been in every sleeping/living room in the Türken, with the sole exception of the apartment where Ingrid Scharfenberg lived, and there is no fireplace in any of those rooms. Just curious …

Janholland

Post by Janholland » 04 Aug 2023, 20:31

In 2006 i visited Zum Turken and had the pleasure and privilege to talk with Frau Scharfenberg. She showed me the cellar of the Hotel and when we walked by a room with several washingmachines she mentioned that the "fliesen" (tiles) in there were from the same of those in Hitlers bathroom in the Berghof.
I was thinking so many years later..... Was she meaning that they layed the same tiles as in the Berghof bathroom(s) also in Zum Turken when Haus Wachenfeld was renovated into the Berghof (leftover of tiles?) OR did she meant that after they war the took tiles from the Berghof bathroom(s) to renovate the bombed Hotel?
@Geoff Walden do you know this maybe? THANKS!!! Jan
Last edited by Janholland on 04 Aug 2023, 21:05, edited 2 times in total.

Janholland

Post by Janholland » 04 Aug 2023, 21:01

Ecam wrote:
03 Oct 2013, 18:23
Hi Geoff,

I stayed at the Zum Turken back in August 2007. Upon checking out of the hotel, I noticed the wall of photos in front of the check-in desk (you can see this wall in one of Pofoka's photo's). As I'm sure you know, some very interesting personages in the photos. I ended up asking Frau Scharfenberg about some of the people pictured, and she eventually said that she had, of course, known them all, even AH. When I suggested that she should consider publishing her memoirs, she became quite indignant and stated that she, unlike all the others, would never publish her story because all the others did it just for money, and that she wouldn't do that. While some of the memoir writers were undoubtedly motivated to an extent by money, I don't believe that all of them, Traudl Junge for instance, were. Anyway, she was getting a little testy about it so I let the subject drop. Now that she has passed away, is there anything you can say about her background? Did she grow up on the mountain? Did she ever visit the Berghof and meet AH?, etc.

Best,

Ecam
Got to this question, scrolling around :D
Frau Scharfenberg told me she saw Hitler in real as a child. Must ve been at a public meeting somewhere. NOT at the Obersalzberg.
I asked her what she did think at the time? Typically a question from a person far after that era :wink:

She answered in her typical no nonsense way: what did i think? Nothing, not much. He was just the president at the time.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 08 Aug 2023, 16:16

Hi Jan,
I did not hear the story about the floor tiles myself, from Frau Scharfenberg, but I would imagine that she meant that when the hotel was remodeled in the 1930s while under SS/RSD control, that they used the same tiles as were being used in the Berghof. There were (are?) other building accessories in the Türken that were the same as in the Berghof (door handles, light fixtures).

Frau S. once pointed out some of the original floor tiles to me, and told me of a memory she had of having to scrub those tiles on hands and knees daily when she was a young teenager.

The story of Frau S. meeting Hitler was one that she told various people. You are right - this didn’t happen on the Obersalzberg because she was born after the family was forced to leave in 1933. As she told the story, Hitler visited her school when she was a child, and all the school kids shook his hand. I believe this would have been in the Salzburg area (Austria). That’s where she was born and I believe the family lived there when she was a young child. I imagine the scene would have been like the photos that Hoffmann took of Hitler visiting school children at one of his own childhood schools in Austria.

Janholland

Post by Janholland » 20 Aug 2023, 11:28

Thank you so much Geoff for answering.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”