Russian translation of Soviet Rear technical terms

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Art
Forum Staff

Re: Russian translation of Soviet Rear technical terms

Post by Art » 04 Sep 2018, 22:38

I would suggest АСПП = "Army collection and transfer point" for former POWs and Soviet citizens taken from the German Army.

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 12 Sep 2018, 14:40

Sounds good to me and follows the sequence of unit types.

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 12 Sep 2018, 15:14

головные отделение армейского складов Advanced or Head office of army depot? I imagine that this is a command function rather than an actual depot? See here for an example: https://ru.wikisource.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D ... 0%B2/23/15

The forward depot actually containing the stores is usually referred to as "on the ground".

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 12 Sep 2018, 20:49

The idea is that a depot was divided into two or several sections. So you have two or more physical storage sites but under control of one unit. "головные отделения" refers to those sections that were closer to the front, which were typically organized as field dumps

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 12 Sep 2018, 20:51

Der Alte Fritz wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 15:14
головные отделение армейского складов
I'd translate this, as "Forward branch of army depot". Those units were usually created in between, if there was too much distance between the Army depot and frontline units.

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 12 Sep 2018, 22:13

In this case you have
1) a depot at some distant railway station
2) the Advanced office of the depot I mentioned above at an unloading station
3) the same term "on the ground" some distance down the road.
1 and 3 have actual stores albeit of different sizes. 2 nothing mentioned but might be a staging post.

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 12 Sep 2018, 22:30

Again, it's not "advanced office", it's a field dump with some stores of materials physically present. In particular, the document linked talks about 5 daily rations, 1 load of fuel and 1 unit of ammunition stored on advanced depot sections.

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 13 Sep 2018, 07:29

OK I understand.
The actual quotation is:
Поэтому приказом по тылу от 11 марта была развёрнута дополнительно выгрузочная станция с головными отделениями складов в Шепетовке и на грунте отделения складов горюче-смазочных материалов и продовольственного в Старо-Константинове. Отделение склада боеприпасов попрежнему оставалось в Белогородка.
Taken from Sbornik materialov No14 Rear of Tank Army in the offensive and describes the 3GTA in March 1944.
Therefore, an order for the Rear of March 11 deployed in addition to the unloading station with the forward branch of depot in Shepetivka and forward branch of depots on the ground for the storage of fuel and lubricants and food in Staro-Konstantinov. The branch of the depot for ammunition remained in Belogorodka. ,

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 13 Sep 2018, 21:11

Der Alte Fritz wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 07:29
OK I understand.
The actual quotation is:
Поэтому приказом по тылу от 11 марта была развёрнута дополнительно выгрузочная станция с головными отделениями складов в Шепетовке и на грунте отделения складов горюче-смазочных материалов и продовольственного в Старо-Константинове. Отделение склада боеприпасов попрежнему оставалось в Белогородка.
Taken from Sbornik materialov No14 Rear of Tank Army in the offensive and describes the 3GTA in March 1944.
Therefore, an order for the Rear of March 11 deployed in addition to the unloading station with the forward branch of depot in Shepetivka and forward branch of depots on the ground for the storage of fuel and lubricants and food in Staro-Konstantinov. The branch of the depot for ammunition remained in Belogorodka. ,
For all the quality of Google translator this time it botched translation royally.
The correct translation is not "in addition to the unloading station", but "additionAL unloading station". Here - in addition to the main unloading station (with the main depot) further to the rear.

As for the term "on the ground" - it doesn't mean "some distance down the road" (or any distance for that matter). Term "on the ground" means, that depot was organized at the place, where no proper facilities were present. "Depot on the ground" could be both Forward branch of army depot, usual Branch of army depot and even main Army depot (or Army base) (though this last case is highly unlikely).
BTW, this term was used not only for depots, but for the hospitals as well.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 14 Sep 2018, 01:01

In this context, на грунте, means "in the area / at the place".

..additionally deployed unloading station with forward "dumps" in Shepetovka and in the area of fuel, lubricants and food storages in Staro-Konstantinov

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 15 Sep 2018, 08:30

Franlkly speaking, I've never heard these words can mean this thing. IMO the direct translation is quite straightforward: stockpiles of materials simply placed on the ground as opposed to some storage facilities.

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 15 Sep 2018, 12:13

GregSingh wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 01:01
In this context, на грунте, means "in the area / at the place".

..additionally deployed unloading station with forward "dumps" in Shepetovka and in the area of fuel, lubricants and food storages in Staro-Konstantinov
You're incorrect in both meaning of the term, as well as in the translation.
Term "на грунте" in soviet military parlance means exactly what I've said in the previous post. Nothing more, nothing less.
That's why in Staro-Konstantinov there were "branch depots on the ground", while in Byelogorodka there was simply "branch depot".

Der Alte Fritz

танков пр-ка

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 16 Mar 2019, 09:23

Can someone please tell me what "пр-ка" means.

As in
"Части 112 сд занимая боевой порядок по вост. берегу р. Черна отбивали ожесточенные атаки педоты и танков пр-ка с направления Катущув."

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 16 Mar 2019, 10:19

Abbreviation for противника = enemy. Abbreviations for other words were made in a similar way, i.e. the middle part of the word omitted and substituted with "-"

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 03 Jun 2019, 17:38

Am translating 2 Tank Army Донесение о боевом составе соединений и частей 2 гв. ТА [Report on the combat strength of formations and units of the 2nd Guards. TA] https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/view/?id=112719686 and could do with some help on the cursive script.
These are the queries
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”