New Microfilm Rolls

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
history1
Banned

Re: New Microfilm Rolls

Post by history1 » 06 Oct 2018, 20:48

jccalvin wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 22:46
Hi:

I have now designed my FTP login system so no one is blocked for the initial connection. More than one concurrent connection is blocked. If you insist on trying more than one concurrent connection go ahead but you are wasting your time. If you are still not able to login, PM me and I will try to fix the problem. There is no need to comment on this posting.

Regards,

John

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 06 Oct 2018, 21:35

Your point, history1?

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 07 Oct 2018, 13:59

To avoid further huff/infuration of John, as much as I understand your situation. His message is clear," If you are still not able to login, PM me and I will try to fix the problem. No need to comment on this posting."
Where will this urging and pressure end? I hope not in the total prohibition of access of all members to John´s server.
And I think statements like "If nothing else, please give an explanation for your refusal to help" are very rude and out of place. ansata1976 is asking hundreds of times for translations of newspaper articles from Polish to English, not a single Polish forum member got publicity asked why they don´t help in this cases, eg.: viewtopic.php?p=2128202#p2128202

On the other hand I asked after the last forum change for special characters in Polish so that helping ansata1976 would be easier, they were promised but until now, month later, nothing in this matter happened. No special characters (though only a handful!] from the forum staff = no help for ansata1976.
It seems that certain things just need to become accepted.

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 08 Oct 2018, 10:11

The Polish language can be published on the forum (all unicode characters can) but you will need to copy the text from another program and paste into the 'Post a Reply' window. I use this method with the cryllic alphabet all the time.

I don't know why Polish speaking members don't help ansata1976 but members of this forum don't have to help other members. I have been a member for 8 years now and I try to helpful, History1 has been helpful to me on numerous occasions and John Calvin has made shared material with me. Instead of getting angry that I don't get any help, I try to be thankful that I get as much help as I do.

When it comes to John Calvin's server, I have no idea why there is so many problems with it. I haven't been able to login for years now and I have even been pissed off at John in the pass BUT it is a private server, that John has paid for with his own money and the material is free so what is all the bitching about. If you interested in research material you can ask around forums and you can almost get help. Again we should be thankful to those researchers who purchased material (the total cost must be somewhere to the order of $500,000 upwards) and then have made this available for free to all the poor researchers that don't have any money.

Personally, I am very thankful the Axis History Forums exits and I am very thankful to all the kind people that have helped me through the years.

Carnaro

Post by Carnaro » 22 Oct 2018, 10:37

Jeff Leach wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 10:11
The Polish language can be published on the forum (all unicode characters can) but you will need to copy the text from another program and paste into the 'Post a Reply' window. I use this method with the cryllic alphabet all the time.

I don't know why Polish speaking members don't help ansata1976 but members of this forum don't have to help other members. I have been a member for 8 years now and I try to helpful, History1 has been helpful to me on numerous occasions and John Calvin has made shared material with me. Instead of getting angry that I don't get any help, I try to be thankful that I get as much help as I do.

When it comes to John Calvin's server, I have no idea why there is so many problems with it. I haven't been able to login for years now and I have even been pissed off at John in the pass BUT it is a private server, that John has paid for with his own money and the material is free so what is all the bitching about. If you interested in research material you can ask around forums and you can almost get help. Again we should be thankful to those researchers who purchased material (the total cost must be somewhere to the order of $500,000 upwards) and then have made this available for free to all the poor researchers that don't have any money.

Personally, I am very thankful the Axis History Forums exits and I am very thankful to all the kind people that have helped me through the years.
I agree.
As far as I'm concerned, I have never had, since the beginning, any kind of troubles with John's server, that has regularly worked with no particular difficulties, apart from sporadic situations probably due to overcharging.

Said that, I want to thanks both John & Jeff as the only two gentlemens here, for sharing their collections at their own expenses, with no hidden agenda, or trading, or unexpected bartering in the backstage.

Many thks.

Mori

Post by Mori » 22 Oct 2018, 17:24

Carnaro wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 10:37
Said that, I want to thanks both John & Jeff as the only two gentlemens here, for sharing their collections at their own expenses, with no hidden agenda, or trading, or unexpected bartering in the backstage.
Yes! and a big thanks to all those who willingly contributed documents or funds to John & Jeff, even more than those who simply downloaded what they shared.

Carnaro

Post by Carnaro » 22 Oct 2018, 21:30

Mori wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 17:24
Carnaro wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 10:37
Yes! and a big thanks to all those who willingly contributed documents or funds to John & Jeff, even more than those who simply downloaded what they shared.
Obviously. Generous and disinterested persons are fundamental for the progress & spreading of the human knowledge.

Natter

Post by Natter » 23 Oct 2018, 01:26

Carnaro wrote:Said that, I want to thanks both John & Jeff as the only two gentlemens here, for sharing their collections at their own expenses, with no hidden agenda, or trading, or unexpected bartering in the backstage.
Well, that comment is just hilarious...

I don't know about Jeff (my impression is that he's offering mostly material aquired by himself, and if that's the case it's highly admirable).

I'm sure that's not the case for John's "collection" though. It's easy to share and offer stuff for free when someone else is paying (I wonder if there's anyone here that haven't seen rolls from their latest order popping up at his server shortly after procurement? How long does it take after new rolls offered on DHA's website shows up? etc.).
In addition, the free stuff offered is of low quality since the material has been resized to save bandwith (no need to mention the serverproblems as that's well covered in numerous previous posts).

I wonder though: How long before new aquirements from NARA stops, as no one want's to spend the money anymore? I can only speak for myself, but I have little motivation for buying new stuff and/or organizing shared orders due to this.

Trading and "unexpected bartering in the backstage" (whatever that is) is actually a "win-win" situation and extremely positive as it's instrumental to aquire new and "fresh" material from NARA. I think the only one currently "winning" are the one person getting a large collection of rolls for free, and those who are happy and patient enough to download low-grade material that someone else has paid for initially.

In the end, these "free" offers might very well end up to be very contraproductive for the "community" :-/

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 23 Oct 2018, 08:33

Natter wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 01:26
I don't know about Jeff (my impression is that he's offering mostly material aquired by himself, and if that's the case it's highly admirable).
I have purchased several 100s of rolls through the years. Most of the material for AOK11 and AOK17 and subordinate units for 1941 came from me and most of the T501 Romanian material. I traded all of this material privately and in many cases asked people not to trade it to anyone else. When it all showed up on John Calvin's server, I was pretty angry for about three days. In the end I decided, who cares. I hadn't bought the material to have as some secret stash - I bought the material to find out what was written in it. Nowadays, if I buy material from NARA, I usually share it the same day as I get it.
Natter wrote:
I'm sure that's not the case for John's "collection" though. It's easy to share and offer stuff for free when someone else is paying (I wonder if there's anyone here that haven't seen rolls from their latest order popping up at his server shortly after procurement? How long does it take after new rolls offered on DHA's website shows up? etc.).
Once I wrote John an angry letter about publishing MY MATERIAL (makes me laugh today). He replied that, he had received the material in good faith from a third party. Is it his job to try and find out were the material comes from and if it is okej to share it? Not really. John has photographed the Ost Lage maps for us at his own expense. So instead of being angry with him because YOUR MATERIAL is on his server, be thankful that he has contributed to the bulk of free material related to OUR areas of interest.
Natter wrote:
In addition, the free stuff offered is of low quality since the material has been resized to save bandwith (no need to mention the serverproblems as that's well covered in numerous previous posts).
Don't understand this. The material has to be readable, otherwise it is useless. There are a number of rolls that are barely readable or incomplete, please people don't add to the problem.
Natter wrote:
I wonder though: How long before new aquirements from NARA stops, as no one want's to spend the money anymore? I can only speak for myself, but I have little motivation for buying new stuff and/or organizing shared orders due to this.

Trading and "unexpected bartering in the backstage" (whatever that is) is actually a "win-win" situation and extremely positive as it's instrumental to aquire new and "fresh" material from NARA. I think the only one currently "winning" are the one person getting a large collection of rolls for free, and those who are happy and patient enough to download low-grade material that someone else has paid for initially.
I think you are completely wrong here. There are two main types of people that use NARA material - researchers and collectors. I am a researcher and have helped other researchers on numerous occasions. It is my belief that these researchers buy the material that they can't get for free and then share it with the community, thereby increasing the amount of material available to everyone. The 'collectors' might get their whole collection for free but that doesn't bother me. These 'collectors' are pretty nice people for the most part. One of them sent me 500 mb material last month. In turn, I passed on 400 mb of this material on to a published author. Hopefully, it will help with his next publication. It just might be a book you have been looking forward to.
Natter wrote:
In the end, these "free" offers might very well end up to be very contraproductive for the "community" :-/
Here we are probably both right. For some this 'free' material is counterproductive and for others it is productive.

Personally, I will keep buying the material that I need (if noone else has it) and keep sharing it. I will also keep helping researchers to the extent that I can help them. Hopefully my efforts contribute in a positive way to the community.

Mori

Post by Mori » 23 Oct 2018, 09:28

Natter wrote:
I'm sure that's not the case for John's "collection" though. It's easy to share and offer stuff for free when someone else is paying (I wonder if there's anyone here that haven't seen rolls from their latest order popping up at his server shortly after procurement? How long does it take after new rolls offered on DHA's website shows up? etc.)....

Well, there is always someone who has to pay or spend time making a copy. I see nothing new here.

Then either more than 1 person invests in copying exactly the same material. Or these investments are spread across different documents which can be pooled. Obviously, the second way is better for everybody. And that's just what happens. I'm not sure I see why you are whining.

Mori

Post by Mori » 23 Oct 2018, 09:35

Jeff Leach wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 08:33
I think you are completely wrong here. There are two main types of people that use NARA material - researchers and collectors. I am a researcher and have helped other researchers on numerous occasions. It is my belief that these researchers buy the material that they can't get for free and then share it with the community, thereby increasing the amount of material available to everyone. The 'collectors' might get their whole collection for free but that doesn't bother me. These 'collectors' are pretty nice people for the most part.
This is the only part I would a little disagree with. Although "collectors" share their documents freely (none of them is making a business out of it), the only people I ever had difficulty with were published authors, especially those trying a career in academia, and especially if their institutions were second or third tier. Some of them still believe the documents they found are gems not to share even after they published articles/books quoting them. I'm not saying it's all of these scholars, but some still have a 20th century mindset.
Last edited by Mori on 23 Oct 2018, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

Mori

Post by Mori » 23 Oct 2018, 10:40

Natter wrote:
In addition, the free stuff offered is of low quality
Makes me think of the opening joke here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxlfvI17oY

Carnaro

Post by Carnaro » 23 Oct 2018, 11:49

Natter wrote:
Carnaro wrote:Said that, I want to thanks both John & Jeff as the only two gentlemens here, for sharing their collections at their own expenses, with no hidden agenda, or trading, or unexpected bartering in the backstage.
Well, that comment is just hilarious...

Personally I'm not interested in accumulating bunch of material as a kind of satisfaction end in itself. I'm not a collector, but a researcher focused on the Balkans 1941/45 and, frankly speaking, the rolls freely offered by John & Jeff have allowed me to save several hundred dollars with which, in the future, I'll be able to buy the rolls not available for free.

So, J.&J. are offering an unvaluable service, comparable to the work offered by Znaci guys: Znaci for example, is offering on-line books some of which, at the time, I have paid hard cash: should I be angry about this?
Obviously no: I have bought those books simply because I needed it, and now someone is offering the same books for free. Never mind. Neither book market, nor me, have been damaged by Znaci initiative.

The same is for NARA.
Purchasing from NARA don't stop just because someone is offering free rolls on the web. NARA has thousands and thousands rolls and there will always be someone who needs new material, me included.
I add that, once completed the examination of such new material, I'll have no problems at all, in sharing, if someone needs it.

As fas as the quality is concerned, is not a problem for me. I'm not looking for quality but contents and a badly readable roll, with important contents has a value for me 1000 times higher that a perfect quality roll with no contents.

So, I think, criticizing the service that J.&J. are offering in exchange for nothing is quite ungenerous, also because in no way is damaging for the "community" (what "community", btw? Collectors, researchers, someone else?)

Finally, I'dont criticize the bartering: I simply said that, under my point oif view, the unselfish sharing is much more commendable than all the other kind of echanging.

Max

Mori

Post by Mori » 23 Oct 2018, 13:27

Natter wrote:
By the way, just reading that post again: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=230910#p2127916

You never replied what was the source of the document you showed an excerpt of. May I ask whether you not wanting to "spend money" extends to not wanting to disclose sources?

jccalvin

Post by jccalvin » 26 Oct 2018, 20:13

Hi:

The following rolls were published today.

T-315 R-479 8.Pz-Div
T-315 R-485 8.Pz-Div
T-315 R-499 8.Pz-Div
T-315 R-500 8.Pz-Div
T-315 R-508 9.Pz-Div
T-315 R-522 9.Pz-Div
T-315 R-525 9.Pz-Div
T-315 R-543 9.Pz-Div
T-315 R-651 14.Pz-Div
T-315 R-657 14.Pz-Div

Regards,

John