Himmler's Honor Ring

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Raz

Post by Raz » 22 Feb 2003, 10:38

I only question the Lumsden story of blast sealing which has so far developed an unhealthy
cult following without any documented facts to back it up.

The ring only had one maker, the Munich jeweler Otto Gahr. If you search some dealers listing
you can occasionally find some finely made items by this firm.

The HR price depends on #1 is it genuine ;-) #2 who owned the ring and #3 obviously what condition
it is in.

Craig Gottlieb has a stunner with full research and HR award doc, check in the militaria section:
http://www.craiggottlieb.com

He also had one in the classifieds on GDC for a more affordable $5500 that was ground dug.

Raz

Post by Raz » 05 Mar 2003, 19:55

Check the GDC in Don Boyles honor ring forum, Robin Lumsden explains why in an interesting
story he arrived at the opinion that the rings were into the blasting into the side of a
mountain. So I may well have to eat my words if this local account is indeed true and was
common knowledge with the inhabitants of Wewelsberg.

Macmedal

Post by Macmedal » 06 Mar 2003, 00:16

Raz

Cheers for the info. Interesting story. Shame the thread got side tracked by the David Irving meeting but thats a topic for elsewhere.

Nick

Kim

Post by Kim » 06 Mar 2003, 02:17

I've always thought that with lots of time,money,excellent research skills,and luck,that a good investigator could track down a few of the men of Captain Blacks outfit (or their families) and see if that little ol' silver ring might be in a box with dad's old war stuff. Coming up with a roster of men in Blacks command should not be impossible,should it?If he actually distributed most of the 200 found in the castle to his boys,as is said,some must certainly have made it back to the states and are still hiding,waiting for discovery.But.... in the mid-1980's when silver prices skyrocketed,lots of grandma's silverware,granddad's pocketwatch, and that old ring of dad's hit the melting pot. What a shame. Anyhow if any of you sleuths find more than one,remember it was your old pal Kim that gave you the idea.
Cheers,and good luck.

Johnnyrocket

Re: Himmler's Honor Ring

Post by Johnnyrocket » 13 Sep 2018, 21:02

Does anyone have an image of Himmler wearing an Honor ring? Never seen one that is clear enough to tell one way or another.
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

matthew4108

Post by matthew4108 » 14 Sep 2018, 18:21

Here's one:
Attachments
ringtkpf.jpg

Oberleutnant Winter

Post by Oberleutnant Winter » 25 Sep 2018, 23:48

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is in his files sitting peacefully alongside his Iron Cross in the Berlin Archives. Once again, if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Oberleutnant Winter
“Don’t worry about the bullets, I’ve got an umbrella” -Digby

“One who doesn’t achieve their goal, or attempt to, in life, wasted a lot of damn oxygen.” -Oberleutnant Winter (me)

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 02 Oct 2018, 15:50

matthew4108 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 18:21
Here's one:

This image appears to show two rings on his left hand ring finger?

Almost identifiable but falls a bit short of 100% conformation that it's an actual SS Honor Ring.
• American Patriot
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 02 Oct 2018, 17:11

Finding a good image of Himmler wearing an identifiable HR is as hard as trying to find an image of Hitler behind the steering wheel of an auto.

But its fun looking.
• American Patriot

Platon

Post by Platon » 24 Oct 2018, 00:13

Hello, I am quite ignorant about this topic. Therefore, I have two questions to ask:

1) Is the SS Honor ring the same as the called merely SS ring?
2) What were the criteria to award them?

That's all
Thank you

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 24 Oct 2018, 05:26

Platon wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 00:13
Hello, I am quite ignorant about this topic. Therefore, I have two questions to ask:

1) Is the SS Honor ring the same as the called merely SS ring?
2) What were the criteria to award them?

That's all
Thank you
The link below should outline and detail the exclusivity of the "SS Honor Ring" as opposed to a myriad of the many variant designed rings that the SS men privately purchased and personally wore over the years of the SS existence:

The Honor Rings were a personal gift from Heinrich Himmler presented to special SS members/troops who distinguished themselves in specific ways.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-Ehrenring
• American Patriot

Platon

Post by Platon » 24 Oct 2018, 06:20

Thank you very much Johnnyrocket you have been very helpful. I see that you fought in Vietnam, good on you, to serve your country in war is an honour.

Return to “Axis Awards”