Is there any documentation about Ersatz-Brigades? (Ersatz-Brigade 204.)

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
BaltischeLandswehr

Is there any documentation about Ersatz-Brigades? (Ersatz-Brigade 204.)

Post by BaltischeLandswehr » 21 Nov 2018, 16:16

Hello,
I am specifically interested in Ersatz-Brigade 204 during second half of 1941. Are there any NARA rolls that contain documents on this brigade? I went through the guides and lists but I did not find any mention anywhere of the Ersatz-Brigades. I also could not find where Ersatz-Brigades were located in command structure, to what units/HQ was it attached.
Doing research on 61.ID. Division

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Re: Is there any documentation about Ersatz-Brigades? (Ersatz-Brigade 204.)

Post by Jeff Leach » 22 Nov 2018, 08:26

A good Place to start when looking after an odd kind of unit is Lexikon-der-Wehrmacht. If you read the entry for Ersatz-Brigade 204 it will give you pointers about what records to look at: Wehrkreis XVII, Heeresgruppe Nord and Oberfeldkommandantur 394. You will probably have to wade through 1000s of pages of documents looking for references to the unit you are interested in.

BaltischeLandswehr

Post by BaltischeLandswehr » 22 Nov 2018, 15:50

Jeff Leach wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 08:26
A good Place to start when looking after an odd kind of unit is Lexikon-der-Wehrmacht. If you read the entry for Ersatz-Brigade 204 it will give you pointers about what records to look at: Wehrkreis XVII, Heeresgruppe Nord and Oberfeldkommandantur 394. You will probably have to wade through 1000s of pages of documents looking for references to the unit you are interested in.
Thanks for the help!

BaltischeLandswehr

Post by BaltischeLandswehr » 25 Nov 2018, 11:15

Jeff Leach wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 08:26
For the past few days I have been going through these documents and trying to find anything about that ersatz brigade but I have had no luck so far. I did however find that there are document rolls about Wehrkreis XVII during end of 1941 in the guide, but I am a bit confused. In the guide it says that the documents are in Serial 81 Roll 81 with first frame being 129. Does it mean would have to look for T-081 in the Nara index website? And if there is no such a roll in the site, I must assume that it is either not digitized or not available, correct?

Here is the link to the guide in which I looked, http://downloads.sturmpanzer.com/guides ... ide_34.pdf
It is on page 87, third in the list. It begins like this "Folder of Abteilung Ic of Generalkommando XXVII. A.K,, entitle..."

Edit: It appears that I was confusing Wehrkreis XVII with Wehrkreis XXVII. Nevertheless I am still confused if the Serial 81 means T-081?

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 26 Nov 2018, 08:44

Sometimes the guides are a Little confusing but all the rolls in Guide No. 34 are from Series T79. Ignore the column that says 'Serial'.

WK XVII seems to run from Roll 87 - 118. You will need to look through the entries to find the rolls that cover the time period you are interested in.

BaltischeLandswehr

Post by BaltischeLandswehr » 28 Nov 2018, 19:07

Jeff Leach wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 08:44
Sometimes the guides are a Little confusing but all the rolls in Guide No. 34 are from Series T79. Ignore the column that says 'Serial'.

WK XVII seems to run from Roll 87 - 118. You will need to look through the entries to find the rolls that cover the time period you are interested in.
Thanks! I found couple of interesting things already based on your instructions. Sadly some rolls seem to be private and must be bought, but also a lot of it is for free and looks very useful.

Return to “Archives”