Soviet Cavalry Corps breakdown

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Nakhodchanin

Re: Soviet Cavalry Corps breakdown

Post by Nakhodchanin » 08 Dec 2018, 18:37

I greeting to you, Paul_Atreides! Thank you very much for the materials you posted! Please answer, if I "read" these schemes non-correctly: 1.The combinations of "triangles" & "cube" - insignia of military ranks? 2. Russian abbreviations: ''1 зв'' = 1st link; ''КВ'' = Plt Cmdr; "Н" = Observer; "СВ" = Messenger; "РП" = LMG; "РГ" = Rfl Grenade Launcher; "ПН" = Assistant Gunner; "ПП" = SMG; "СН" = Sniper; "К" = Horse Breeder; "С КВ" = Messenger of Plt Cmdr; "Н КВ" = Observer of Plt Cmdr; "К КВ" = Horse Breeder of Plt Cmdr; - ? 3.For 12 horses of the cavalry squad, there are 4 horse breeders, one horse breeder x three horses? Thank you in advance if you answer!

Best regards

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 09 Dec 2018, 11:28

Dear Mr. Nakhodchanin,
I really appreciate your information regarding the organization of the various Soviet units!

Without trying to sound superior (I know English is not you first language), better translations for
  "cube" would be "square",
  "horse breeder" would be "horseholder", or possibly "groom" depending on the Army.

Please keep up your very welcome contributions. :thumbsup:

--
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces

Nakhodchanin

Post by Nakhodchanin » 10 Dec 2018, 18:38

I greeting to you, Leo Niehorster! Immediately, taking this opportunity I want to thank you for your wonderful site! I appreciate your attention and support in "the difficulties of translation"! Thank you very much!

Best regards

Paul_Atreides

Post by Paul_Atreides » 11 Dec 2018, 13:18

Nakhodchanin wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 18:37
2. Russian abbreviations: ''1 зв'' = 1st link;
Зв[ено] = section.

squad.jpg
platoon.jpg
platoon.jpg (20.41 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
3.For 12 horses of the cavalry squad, there are 4 horse breeders, one horse breeder x three horses?
There are two horseholder in each 6-men section.
There is no waste, there are reserves (Slogan of German Army in World Wars)

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 11 Dec 2018, 15:03

Nakhodchanin wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 18:38
I greeting to you, Leo Niehorster! Immediately, taking this opportunity I want to thank you for your wonderful site! I appreciate your attention and support in "the difficulties of translation"! Thank you very much!

Best regards
With my total lack of Russian :oops:, and a fascination for organizations of all types, I particularly appreciate your efforts in presenting, translating and posting the Soviet ones. Makes a valuable addition to Art's, and some others' (such as Der Alte Fritz and Gary Kennedy) efforts to provide a comprehensive overview of the various Shtats.

--
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces

Nakhodchanin

Post by Nakhodchanin » 29 Dec 2018, 09:02

I greeting all comunity! Special greeting to you, Paul_Atreides and special greeting to you, Leo Niehorster! Thank you very much Paul_Atreides for your answer and especially for the explanations to the your diagrams! Dear Leo Niehorster, I am new to specialized English military terminology, Paul_Atreides translates - "звено=section", I didn't understand whether it is possible to use the term "squad" for cavalry sub-units, and if so then: "1st section of 6men + 2nd section of 6men = cavalry detachment of 12men"? Okay, this is not important! In the process of searching on pamyat-naroda.ru, I came across the following document, addressed to the commander of 7th Grd CavCorps: https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/view/?id=454850021. This is a collection of Shtat calculations of the following marching cavalry sub-units: 1.standard marching sabre squadron; 2.standard marching machine-gun squadron; 3.standard marching battery of regimental artillery; 4.standard marching special squadron. If the link to this material has already been - I apologize for repeating!

Best regards

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 30 Dec 2018, 20:24

Nakhodchanin wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 09:02
I am new to specialized English military terminology, Paul_Atreides translates - "звено=section", I didn't understand whether it is possible to use the term "squad" for cavalry sub-units, and if so then: "1st section of 6men + 2nd section of 6men = cavalry detachment of 12men"?
The problem is, there are English English and American English, which have different term for Russian "отделение". British call it "section", while US - "squad". As for the squad subdivisions, during WW II British called them "groups", while US - "teams".
All those terms can be used by both infantry and cavalry.
Nakhodchanin wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 09:02
Okay, this is not important! In the process of searching on pamyat-naroda.ru, I came across the following document, addressed to the commander of 7th Grd CavCorps: https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/view/?id=454850021. This is a collection of Shtat calculations of the following marching cavalry sub-units: 1.standard marching sabre squadron; 2.standard marching machine-gun squadron; 3.standard marching battery of regimental artillery; 4.standard marching special squadron.
Note, that those Shats are not of combat units, but of "marching" units used to sent replacements to combat units.

Nakhodchanin

Post by Nakhodchanin » 09 Mar 2019, 19:33

Once again, greetings all! In search of on pamyat-naroda.ru was found this small document:
In Shtat of CavRgt № 06-313 to make the following corrections.jpg
Link: https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/view/?id=454850130 The translation didn't take long - as usual pair of files:
Corrections in Shtat № 06-313 of November 20, 1943.jpg
Now Soviet cavalrymen to transport anti-tank rifles on horseback, as shown in the photos here - https://artem-mr.livejournal.com/270710.html, was forbidden according to shtat.

Best regards

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”