Hacha dies at the Reich chancellery.

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
john2

Hacha dies at the Reich chancellery.

Post by john2 » 10 Dec 2018, 05:53

In March 1939 Hacha - the president of Czechoslovakia went to Berlin to discuss relations with Germany. It is well known that while he was there the nazis bullied him into signing a treaty turning over his country to Hitler. While they were trying to get him to sign he suffered an apparent heart attack and collapsed on the floor. Hitler's personal physician Theodore Morrell happened to be on hand and revived him with some injection. What if Hacha actually died in the chancellery? How would this affect Hitler's plans to occupy Czechoslovakia? I would imagine there would be a public relations nightmare.

Futurist

Re: Hacha dies at the Reich chancellery.

Post by Futurist » 10 Dec 2018, 10:16

There could be talk of a Nazi conspiracy to kill Hacha, but would anyone actually be prepared to back this up with any sort of action? I doubt it. Thus, the Nazis would probably be able to invite the next Czechoslovak leader to Prague (under the threat of invasion if he doesn't comply) and force him to sign whatever they want him to sign.

john2

Post by john2 » 10 Dec 2018, 19:53

There could be talk of a Nazi conspiracy to kill Hacha, but would anyone actually be prepared to back this up with any sort of action? I doubt it. Thus, the Nazis would probably be able to invite the next Czechoslovak leader to Prague (under the threat of invasion if he doesn't comply) and force him to sign whatever they want him to sign.
But wouldn't the new Czech leader be wary of going to Berlin if there are rumors his predecessor might have been killed? What about public opinion? Would there be calls for a firmer anti German stance at least among the Czechs?

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 11 Dec 2018, 02:26

john2 wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 19:53
But wouldn't the new Czech leader be wary of going to Berlin if there are rumors his predecessor might have been killed? What about public opinion? Would there be calls for a firmer anti German stance at least among the Czechs?
I'm just not sure that the new Czech leader would have much of a choice. The choice might be either for him to go to Berlin or for him to refuse and thus see Prague bombed and forcibly occupied by the Germans.

Are the British and French actually going to fight for Prague in this scenario?

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 11 Dec 2018, 14:39

Hi Guys,

The occupation of the Czech lands was a primary German objective. Hacha's condition, alive or dead, was secondary.

I suspect the occupation would have gone ahead anyway because the necessary military deployments were already in train and no other country was then in a position to stop it.

Sid.

john2

Post by john2 » 13 Dec 2018, 06:25

I guess didn't think this all the way through. It seems Hacha's death would have been more like a bump in the road then a major event change.

Pavel Novak

Post by Pavel Novak » 24 Dec 2018, 00:10

German invasion started on 14th March and Hacha's signature has no effect on that. Czechoslovak leaders already knew that they are screwed because they tried to activate Anglo-French guarantee written in Munich Pact in February but Britain and France de facto revoked the guarantee and told them that Czechoslovakia is on their own. There was still some talks about possibility of further mobilisation but it was decided against it because Britain and France would not help no matter what and instead it was decided that Hacha will try to negotiate with Hitler directly with hope to become subordinated state to Germany but still with some internal autonomy - Germany informed Czechoslovak leaders already in February that Germany will no longer tolerate independent Czechoslovak state and that they will invade if Czechoslovakia do not submit to be satellite of Germany.

Return to “What if”