Auschwitz Buildings, “outside the wire”

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
history1
Banned

Re: Auschwitz Buildings, “outside the wire”

Post by history1 » 04 Jan 2018, 20:48

Correct, Swede71!
And here is the source for the above image which Fenix obviously forgot to mention ;-)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... RKENAU.png

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 05 Jan 2018, 07:47

Swede71 wrote:I´m pretty sure that the black circle is a SS dog kennel.
Of course, thanks.

Hate to admit it but Truppenlazarett has more or less slipped my mind, thanks for bringing it up. It was sharp reminder that you can´t relax when it comes to Auschwitz buildings, "outside the wire".

Swede71

Post by Swede71 » 05 Jan 2018, 12:38

One thing is for sure. My computer skills are at a basic level, but i hope the picture gives you some idea of the location of the truppenlazarett. I don´t know how accurate the drawing is either, but it should be quite close.
Attachments
bi.jpg

Sampo Jämbeck

Post by Sampo Jämbeck » 05 Jan 2018, 15:16

history1 wrote:Sampo, no need to wonder, the Poles did take everything apart from the remaining buildings in - and outside the fence. It´s no secret that they used everything what they needed. They also did overbuild camp ground with civil houses and roads, eg. the northern part of Auschwitz II B[-auabschnitt] III, called Mexico. Not specified on the above french map posted by Greg.
I am aware of that. They took bricks even from the crematoriums to be used as building materials.

Swede71, I did pretty much the same to compare the area now and then.
Birkenau SSHQ-2 kopio.jpg
Birkenau SSHQ-3 kopio.jpg
I also compared the SS Truppenlazarett Lageplan from USHMM with map posted by GregSingh.
Couldn't get it to fit right though.
Truppenlazarett area 01.jpg
There seems to be one building more in Lageplan, not sure if ever built.
I'm trying build somekind of picture of the area with pictures available.
Truppenlazarett area 02.jpg
Nazi troops stand at attention during the dedication of the new SS hospital in Auschwitz.jpg
Picture from USHMM archives.

Swede71

Post by Swede71 » 05 Jan 2018, 17:12

Interesting. The gate can absolutely be the one we see in the picture. Just one thing. In my picture Truppenlazarett is located much further to the right. And I think thats more accurate. Because when I put them on top of each other everthing, from the Sauna in Canada and the bulding inside Birkenau to the commendanturebuilding (or how ever you spell that) matched exactly.

Swede71

Post by Swede71 » 05 Jan 2018, 17:17

If so, the gate must have been located just about here!
Attachments
gate.jpg

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 08 Jan 2018, 18:12

Sampo Jämbeck wrote:[...]
I am aware of that. They took bricks even from the crematoriums to be used as building materials.

Swede71, I did pretty much the same to compare the area now and then.
Birkenau SSHQ-2 kopio.jpg
Birkenau SSHQ-3 kopio.jpg
[...].
I´m fascinated by you job, guys! Those overlayed maps are fantastic.
Here are two vids I stampled upon today:
http://repozytorium.fn.org.pl/?q=pl/node/4468
At 1:19 the speaker calls the cylindric parts of the sewage plant of Birkenau "the new german triumph of technique,rationalised gasocrematorium [= gas chambers with crematiorium], 1:31 unfinished and no startup thanks the fast advance of the Red Army!
the vid is from feb. 1st 1945 and it´s surprising in which excellent state the buildings and fences are.
Less astonishing the political agenda at the end when the children are leavibg the hut: "look in those faces, they say "no mercy with the Germans"...". He doesn´t say "no mercy with German war criminals" but preaching hate against all Germans.
Also does the vid provide a view above Birkenau with all the remaining huts /Blocks quite on the beginning, so different to what remained until today!
Here´s the 2nd vid:
http://repozytorium.fn.org.pl/?q=pl/node/4498
Look at the gates condition at 00:42, it´s like build a day before, and then @ 00:52 one can even recognise electrical lines running from Block to Block!?

wm

Post by wm » 09 Jan 2018, 13:05

history1 wrote:Less astonishing the political agenda at the end when the children are leavibg the hut: "look in those faces, they say "no mercy with the Germans"...". He doesn´t say "no mercy with German war criminals" but preaching hate against all Germans.
If you need a theoretical background to that you should read the written in 1945 book The Murderous Nation by Emil Rappaport (a Polish Jew, judge of the Supreme Court of Poland from 1919 to 1951, co-author of Polish Penal Code, sentenced Arthur Greiser to death).

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 09 Jan 2018, 13:58

Thanks, wm, I realy appreciate your effort. But can´t you find something abbout the Auschwitz trial in Kraków for me? Downloads, books? The Auschwitz Museum &Memorial claims that they have nothing about it in their archives, what is of course very doubtful! Pozdrawiam

wm

Post by wm » 09 Jan 2018, 20:26

They sell this book, 304 pages of testimonies from the Kraków trial, including Grabner's and Liebehenscheland's.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 09 Jan 2018, 20:45

wm wrote:They sell this book, 304 pages of testimonies from the Kraków trial, including Grabner's and Liebehenscheland's.
It´s on my bookshelf. It contents very little information from only a handful of accused persons. Not testimonies from the trial, what especialy I´m looking for.

wm

Post by wm » 09 Jan 2018, 22:32

Then maybe the author should be contacted, after all it seems he is the ultimate authority on this today. But it's quite possible the testimonies didn't "make it", and were destroyed at some point of time.

Swede71

Post by Swede71 » 12 Jan 2018, 09:49

I really wish i knew polish. There are so many publications (that you guys linked to) I would like to read, but unfortunatly I dont understand a word. But I can look at the pictures and maps in books. In one book I noticed this map, which is the location of the dog kennel just northwest of the truppenlazarett. It has the exact same location as in my picture above. With that said we can be certain that the location in my picture shows the exact location (within just a couple of meters margin) of the buildings and where they would be located today.
Attachments
IMG_5473.PNG

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 12 Jan 2018, 18:57

Swede71 wrote:I really wish i knew polish. There are so many publications (that you guys linked to) I would like to read, but unfortunatly I dont understand a word. [...]
Maybe you would be so often angry about the incorrect translations/informations as I do. And though I´m reporting them to Auschwitz they make no effort to correct them/ to ad an erratum in their books. Or to inform the readers on their website about them.
This is alos valid for the book about the Craców trial. So many typos, incorrect/misspelled adresses of the accused, incorrect informations eg. quoting Hermann Langbein and adding the personal title "doctor", also a handfull of acronyms which the SS did never use AFAIK, eg.
That´s the minus if one knows Polish and German.

Sampo Jämbeck

Post by Sampo Jämbeck » 07 Jan 2019, 11:19

A little bit more about Hundezwinger/dog compound in Birkenau:
http://www.auschwitzstudygroup.com/21-e ... ndezwinger
It seems that there is not much to see anymore. Some fence posts still remain there.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”