Führerliste by John Moore

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
John P. Moore

Re: Führerliste by John Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 11 Jan 2019, 00:34

The A3343 SSO microfilm was one of the many primary sources of data for my "Führerliste" publication. But what do you think it cost me to purchase all 909 rolls of the A3343 microfilm many years ago? Then there are hundreds of other microfilm rolls that I bought for the T-175 and T-354 series along with tens of thousands of pages of other documents from the Bundesarchiv and Prague Archive plus the annual visits to Europe to meet with fellow researchers, visit battlefields and the many weeks spent in various archives. New information is surfacing every year and it costs money. The money that I receive from the sales of my publications is used to purchase new archival material that goes back into product improvement. All of this data is a real bargain at only USD 145 for Part 1. It would be impractical to include source information for every line of data on over 1,500 pages of text. As far as I am concerned people can use "Führerliste" as the source. If people require more data on a person they can order the appropriate A3343 roll from NARA or pay a professional like Mike Constandy of Westmoreland Research to produce a professional study. This is my business model and if some people do not like it, I could care less!

John Moore

Mori

Post by Mori » 11 Jan 2019, 00:59

Eh, no one has anything to say about your business model. Don't take it so personal.

Yes, getting documents takes time and money - what's new?

I don't see why it would be an issue to be more specific on your sources, except if you consider them a trade secret (but then you live in the 20th century - did I mention there was something "obsolete"?).

It wouldn't be "impractical" to include source information. On the contrary, it would dramatically boost reliability and it would allow you to spot and fix mistakes. Right now, that's impossible, and that's a design flaw you saw at least 15 years ago (if I believe your introduction comments) but never fixed, even for data added since. Migrating the Word lists to Excel or any similar tool would also be quite an improvement, and a much less time consuming one to perform.

Right now, any serious researcher can skip your list as a tool and go straight to source data. All the more since so many A3343, T175 and T354 are available for free.

j keenan
Financial supporter

Post by j keenan » 11 Jan 2019, 03:00

Anyone with a serious interest in the Waffen-SS officer korps this is a must have, the information is second to non and John has always been more than happy to help genuine researchers.If your not happy with the set up why don't you compile your own Mori ? Crack on !!

Mori

Post by Mori » 11 Jan 2019, 10:26

j keenan wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 03:00
Anyone with a serious interest in the Waffen-SS officer korps this is a must have, the information is second to non and John has always been more than happy to help genuine researchers.If your not happy with the set up why don't you compile your own Mori ? Crack on !!
I don't think the information is "second to none" because of the severe limitations mentioned earlier:
- non disclosure of sources
- hard copy type of list without any database design (no sorting/counting/filtering etc.)
- occasional self-made editing of documents
- no versioning

I'm not mentioning cost because not two persons have the same sensitivity. Yet before buying the CDs it's important to know how much exist out there for free.

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 11 Jan 2019, 17:27

I have never placed much credibility with people who post behind screen names. Why don't they disclose their true identities? What are they afraid of? In my estimation, "Mori" is nothing but a troll.

Jamie - Thanks for your comments which I believe align with most other buyers of my publications. Nobody has ever asked for their money back or complained about the content in over 20 years.

John Moore

Mori

Post by Mori » 11 Jan 2019, 17:42

John P. Moore wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 17:27
I have never placed much credibility with people who post behind screen names. Why don't they disclose their true identities? What are they afraid of? In my estimation, "Mori" is nothing but a troll.
Happy to read you see nothing to correct about the shortcomings of your list that I mentioned above.

Sorry to frustrate your desire to do personal attacks.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 12 Jan 2019, 11:19

Hi John P. Moore,

It doesn't matter whether Mori is a tenured professor of military history at West Point, or a night-shift shelf stacker at Walmart.

It is the content of his posts that you should be addressing.

When you stop addressing his points directly and start playing the man, not the ball, it is not Mori who looks evasive.

You have a consistent reaction of resorting to accusing critics, however polite, of being trolls, regardless of whether they are using their real names or not.

May I remind you of this little exchange we had above,

Me, ".....and what you have done has some value in its own right. Again, thank you for the reasoned and reasonable tone of your reply."

You, not in response to anything I had posted to you, "I believe you are nothing but a boring troll. Bugger off!"

Cheers,

Sid.

P. S. Could you clarify one point? You posted that "Much of that data is Restricted......" In using the captial "R" you imply that this is some sort of official government qualification. Is this what you mean?

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 12 Jan 2019, 13:19

#
God created the Internet, but devil created Darknet.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 14 Jan 2019, 07:44

Hi smetanin albert,

Actually, I am a bit taller and almost as good looking, but lack your illustration's gravitas and high intellect. But not a bad likeness otherwise!

Cheers,

Sid
Last edited by Sid Guttridge on 14 Jan 2019, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 14 Jan 2019, 11:38

Hallo Sid,

The picture was beautiful.

I am asking for my English!
John is an American, not a sponsor.
But for us (for me) - this is the only source of documents now, albeit very expensive.

Albert
God created the Internet, but devil created Darknet.

Mori

Post by Mori » 14 Jan 2019, 17:26

smetanin albert wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 11:38
But for us (for me) - this is the only source of documents now, albeit very expensive
I'm not sure I understand what you mean: what exactly do you buy besides the "list"?

j keenan
Financial supporter

Post by j keenan » 14 Jan 2019, 17:49

Mori wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 17:26
I'm not sure I understand what you mean: what exactly do you buy besides the "list"?
Yet you feel you can criticise the Führer list with out even knowing what it contains, that says a lot about you !! NUMPTY

steve248

Post by steve248 » 14 Jan 2019, 18:54

I for one appreciate John Moore's Waffen-SS Führerliste. The Waffen-SS per se are not my main interest but there are occasional cross-overs into my interests in the Sipo & SD. The Führerliste answers my questions straight away, as opposed to waiting to visit the Bundesarchiv Berlin and looking at the microfilm rolls.
As for "All the more since so many A3343, T175 and T354 are available for free" (Mori post, top of the page) - please point out where the "many" A3343 copies might be. Not the 3-4 you can find links to on this forum.
I am not interested in T175 as I have mf rolls.
And my own Sipo/SD listing of 30,000 pages is all in Word, every entry sourced, and I am not transferring it into Excel.
You want to go through all 909 A3343 rolls or dvds and make you own lists in your digital preference the world's your oyster.

Mori

Post by Mori » 14 Jan 2019, 19:00

j keenan wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 17:49
Mori wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 17:26
Yet you feel you can criticise the Führer list with out even knowing what it contains, that says a lot about you !! NUMPTY
I do have a very precise idea what it contains, which my previous comments demonstrated to anyone with the ability to see and think.

Besides, John Moore did not have anything to object to the shortcomings I underlined.

Mori

Post by Mori » 14 Jan 2019, 19:08

steve248 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 18:54
As for "All the more since so many A3343, T175 and T354 are available for free" (Mori post, top of the page) - please point out where the "many" A3343 copies might be. Not the 3-4 you can find links to on this forum.
The JM list is more or less 35,000 pages (note that exact counting requires removing duplicates between CDs).

The A3343 available for free are 100-200,000 pages.

Free T175 and T354, although not all related to individuals, make more than 300,000 pages.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”