WTB **DUG WW2 Items**

WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related items you have for sale. By posting items for sale in this section, you agree to the guidelines found in this section.
Almost_Samurai

WTB **DUG WW2 Items**

Post by Almost_Samurai » 01 Feb 2019, 01:09

Is there by chance a reputable site for (DUG), rougher condition items for someone just starting out collecting? I am VERY interested in having at least one relic pulled from the Earth, German or Russian Medals, Badge, Belt Buckle, tinnies or possibly coins. Also, if anyone in this community has some items that don't quite fit a more developed collection I would be very interested in anything that could get me started!
Rough condition or undesirables are what I'm looking for. Thank you for your input and consideration!

Bracer9

Re: WTB **DUG WW2 Items**

Post by Bracer9 » 11 Apr 2022, 15:11

Almost_Samurai wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 01:09
Is there by chance a reputable site for (DUG), rougher condition items for someone just starting out collecting? I am VERY interested in having at least one relic pulled from the Earth, German or Russian Medals, Badge, Belt Buckle, tinnies or possibly coins. Also, if anyone in this community has some items that don't quite fit a more developed collection I would be very interested in anything that could get me started!
Rough condition or undesirables are what I'm looking for. Thank you for your input and consideration!
I have a few coins and a belt buckle that is in ruff shape

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 11 Apr 2022, 15:39

I don't think much of this "scavenging" (G:"Plünderung" / "Leichenfledderei"), because 99.9 percent of the so-called old war graves were destroyed during these searches with detectors.
It is not without reason that trading in old dog tags was prohibited here at the AHF.

A very good decision that I absolutely support!

In every war grave lies a victim of the war, very far behind the descendants of the victims of the fallen soldiers.
These descendants searched and often still search for information, much has been destroyed forever by grave robbers and scavengers...

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 11 Apr 2022, 16:40

Not everything has to come from war graves. None of all the stuff I have found come from graves or battlefield or areas of fighting. Ammo dumps, pow camps etc. are interesting places too. Have a look here:
http://www.hanstholmregistreringen.dk/d ... skrot.html

Waleed

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 11 Apr 2022, 17:21

Waleed,

I am well aware of all these arguments, we young people started looking with our own detectors as early as the 1970s.

There were almost always bones, and also identification tags with them...
We young idiots buried the bones again, we carried the rest home, very proud of our finds.
With all this we destroyed the burial sites forever, but I didn't realize that until decades later.
Juvenile stupidity, ignorance, very sure, but who am I telling...

The suffering and the grief of the descendants are endless, many will always search and never find anything...

Hans

P.S. My northern German homeland is overflowing with buried soldiers, in every village, in every small town there are these graves.
The final battles in 1945 claimed extremely high numbers of victims, many of the young people did not even wear an identification tag, only a weapon and a handful of ammunition, if any.
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

wirklich

Post by wirklich » 17 Apr 2022, 20:00

Hans1906 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 17:21
Waleed,

I am well aware of all these arguments, we young people started looking with our own detectors as early as the 1970s.

We young idiots buried the bones again, we carried the rest home, very proud of our finds.
With all this we destroyed the burial sites forever, but I didn't realize that until decades later.

The suffering and the grief of the descendants are endless, many will always search and never find anything...

Hans

P.S. My northern German homeland is overflowing with buried soldiers, in every village, in every small town there are these graves.
The final battles in 1945 claimed extremely high numbers of victims, many of the young people did not even wear an identification tag, only a weapon and a handful of ammunition, if any.
Before I read this, I was thinking about young idiots from a very long time ago.
There was a 12-year-old that lived out of town on a farm and enjoyed hiking in the forest behind his house. One day he found a fired artillery shell that had not detonated.
He told his friends about it, and they went to look at it. They thought about setting it on fire but decided not to because the fuse had been removed and it might not blow up.
It was very heavy, and they had to take turns carrying it. They took it to his house and put it behind a bush by the front door and it lay there for weeks.
One day it was gone. It was thought that the owner that lived on the first floor that had been in WW1 disposed of it. Nothing was ever said to anyone.
Other "things " were found.
I wonder what would have happened to them if it had not been defused.
They never found any bones, but someone could have found some of theirs many years later.
A few years back 2 French EOD were carrying a 150mm shell from WW1 across a concrete apron when it detonated. All that was left was the soles of their boots that were embedded in the concrete

wirklich

Post by wirklich » 06 May 2022, 13:01

wirklich wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 20:00
Hans1906 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 17:21
Waleed,

Hans

Before I read this, I was thinking about young idiots from a very long time ago.
There was a 12-year-old that lived out of town on a farm and enjoyed hiking in the forest behind his house. One day he found a fired artillery shell that had not detonated.
He told his friends about it, and they went to look at it. They thought about setting it on fire but decided not to because the fuse had been removed and it might not blow up.
It was very heavy, and they had to take turns carrying it. They took it to his house and put it behind a bush by the front door and it lay there for w
One day it was gone. It was thought that the owner that lived on the first floor that had been in WW1 disposed of it. Nothing was ever said to anyone.
Other "things " were found.
I wonder what would have happened to them if it had not been defused.
They never found any bones, but someone could have found some of theirs many years later.
A few years back 2 French EOD were carrying a 150mm shell from WW1 across a concrete apron when it detonated. All that was left was the soles of their boots that were embedded in the concrete
2 French démineurs killed by 155mm shell.
https://orionmagazine.org/article/the-forbidden-forest/

Digging for death.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hrapnel.ht

https://www.npr.org/2007/11/11/16131857 ... tern-front

démineurs
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hells.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... years.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... ll-3862370

We were lucky.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 06 May 2022, 15:40

Grave robbing often destroys the opportunities for the fallen to be identified, denying families the change to grieve. Buckles, buttons and other artefacts can include clues to the identity of an otherwise unidentified corpse. Even close to a century does not eliminate the grief.

About twenty years ago, in the early 2000's some friends were part of an archeological dig looking for the dugout where Wilfred Owen composed The Sentry." During the dig they found the remains of three men, one British and two Germans. They could not identify the Briton, who fell on 1st July 1916, but the Germans, ho died in 1915, were identified by items close to the skeleton, including inscriptions on the reverse of the belt buckle that could be recovered by scientific cleaning. Over 200 people attended their funerals in France, including an old women who, as a child, remembered seeing one of them go to war.

Please avoid doing anything to encourage night hawks and grave robbers. Respect the feelings of relatives.

wirklich

Post by wirklich » 06 May 2022, 18:30

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 06 May 2022, 21:23

wirklich,

there are hundreds, if not thousands, of videos of these organized grave robberies.
There were and are, for example, German Internet forums that deal with it extensively.

There wrote and still write today's relatives who could never find a place of mourning.
A bad subject, one can be very thankful if something like this doesn't affect one's own family, this pain and search never ends, not even generations later...

Not knowing where the great-grandfather, the grandfather, the father, the brother, the uncle, the own son found his final resting place, many people deal with this for a lifetime, often without success...

Our german friend Arnold Weers, a north german jounalist, wrote long articles about the search for one of his uncles long ago, also in the "Forum der Wehrmacht", and elsewhere, very touching, harrowing.
There is sure to be a way to read this search again, it was one of the most important topics in this German forum many years ago.

Link: Arnold Weers: Reise nach Schurawitschi – Expedition zum Grab eines im Krieg getöteten Soldaten aus Riepe – und in ein so fremd erscheinendes Land. In: Ostfrisischen Nachrichten (Einleitung am 5. April 2007, Teil 1–4 am 7., 21., 28. April und 5. Mai 2007, Anschrift: belarus-international.eu).

Source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schurawitschy

Hans

wirklich

Post by wirklich » 07 May 2022, 17:06

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 07 May 2022, 21:43

PDF file: "After six decades, no rest for dead soldiers" (415 KB)

Link: http://www.genealogie-fritsche.de/documents/ek.pdf

Herr Jürgen Fritsche is a well known researcher here in Germany, specialized in the German medical services of both world wars.
http://www.genealogie-fritsche.de/index.htm

A good man, unfortunately his page will probably not be updated anymore..?

Hans

NavyCdo412

Post by NavyCdo412 » 10 May 2022, 19:42

A friend of mine was in a historical group. they pretended to be metaldetectorists with passion for history, who "looked for" dead... they only found historical stuff. at least they gave bones and odg tags to authorities but stolen gold items, according to them "they payid with those items their sweat during the excavation". Clever, to show a false pity face and then steal items of value.

sometimes dead are used as mean of personal success: descovering a dead, hidden for a time, a dead now, another recovered after 3 or 4 years, you can appear on newspaper for a while, thanks only to those poor dead men!

no digging group finds dead for nothing! they are 99,9% grave robbers! Only Volksbund or official State offices are safe!

Return to “For Sale & Wanted”