Kingtiger in Berlin. but where?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Bendlerblock

Kingtiger in Berlin. but where?

Post by Bendlerblock » 27 Jan 2019, 15:46

I have read a few accounts now of the SS-Pz.Abt.11 "Hermann
von Salza" fighting their last battle on Weidammerbrücke in berlin april 1945, it is mentioned that a Kingtiger was destroyed along or next to Zeiglerstrasse

The Soviet photographers took quite a few pictures after the battle, we can see a picture of a Stug destroyed, but where is the famous Kingtiger

Thoughts anyone??

warriorant

Re: Kingtiger in Berlin. but where?

Post by warriorant » 04 Feb 2019, 00:30

Hi,

I do believe the Tiger II you refer to is that of SS Unterscharfuhrer Georg Dier Tiger 314 of schwere SS-Panzerabteilung 503. From his memoirs he states that a person believed to be Bormann was on top of his tank when it was hit by anti-tank shells. He was part of the last breakout and managed to get his Tiger II to Schönhauser Allee 117 where it was disabled by a German mines and subsequently destroyed by the crew with the aid of a tellermine.

Thanks Antony
Ex Nord West Kampfgruppe (Leighton Hall, UK)

warriorant

Post by warriorant » 05 Feb 2019, 15:17

Hi Michael,

What are you referring to specifically?

Thanks Antony
Ex Nord West Kampfgruppe (Leighton Hall, UK)

Bendlerblock

Post by Bendlerblock » 24 Mar 2019, 11:58

Thank you Antony for the information, I think there is a book coming out with all of the recorded tank wrecks in Berlin, I have been looking on line and see that quite a few books concerning the battle are really expensive

It is interesting to see how far the Tiger got after crossing the Spree

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 24 Mar 2019, 12:18

Bendlerblock

Post by Bendlerblock » 24 Mar 2019, 12:26

Fantastic link, thanks Kurt

sage1337

Post by sage1337 » 30 Apr 2019, 21:44

Hi. I recently read Tomasz Borowski's book "Price of Oath" about Charlemagne SS. It mentions the story of that King Tiger. I have it in polish so my translation might be off from what is in english version. It refers to the map that is included in the book.

"Tiger 314 / 1st of may, the breakthrough

10) April 30th, afternoon, Tiergarten, Krolloper: Tiger 314 stopped first Soviet tanks incoming from Moltke's bridge that were intending to assault the Reichstag. About 30 of them were destroyed by the lone tank commanded by SS-Unterscharfuhrer Georg Diers in that area of Reichstag.
[...]
13) Late evening, may 1st, Friedrichstrasse, Weidendammer Brucke: more than 30 vehicles of Nordland division, few hundreds civilians and high-ranked officials tried to get through soviet lines, few minutes after midnight on 2nd of may. First vehicle, StuG III assault gun, managed to go through barricade on the bridge, but after driving few dozen meters it has been destroyed. Over a dozen next vehicles have been destroyed between Friedrichstrasse S-Bahn station and the bridge itself.
14) 2nd of may after midnight, Friedrichstrasse: after StuG III has been destroyed, the convoy moving through Friedrichstrasse was lead by a King Tiger. However, immense artillery barrage destroyed over a few dozen of vehicles, that couldn't move through Johannisstrasse, no further than 250 meters from Weidendammer bridge. Tiger however managed to drive nearby the entrance to U-Bahn station, in the middle of road near Oranienburger Tor and bypass the anti-tank blockade at Elsasserstrasse.
15) 2nd of may, after midnight, Chaussestrasse: Tiger 314 continued it's way towards north-western Berlin on the Chaussestrasse, it was however stopped by huge blockade at Wohlerstrasse. SS-Unterscharfuhrer Diers' tank had to back away and drove, presumably, to Invalidenstrasse to the north-east.
16) Early morning 2nd of may, Schonhauser Alee: the exact route of SS-Unterscharfuhrer Diers' King Tiger is unclear, but it's known for sure that it reached U-Bahn station at Schonhauser Alee on early morning at May 2nd. The tank managed to drive through the bridge above S-Bahn station, when it suddenly hit the anti-tank mine which broke the right track. The crew tried to repair the damage, but Generalmajor Erich Barenfanger, who commanded the area, gave an order to abandon and destroy the vehicle."

The book has next few pages with more info about it but it's basically this with more details. It also has the photo posted by @warriorant and comfirms that it is that King Tiger. The source it gives is "Berlin 1945 - derniers temoignages" (Editions de l'Homme Libre, 2014).

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”