UK National Archives Files

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Mihai Pica

UK National Archives Files

Post by Mihai Pica » 15 Mar 2019, 09:31

Dear all, I am looking for several files that are available there, does anyone happen to have them and be able to share or could anyone point a researcher who could photograph them ?

These are the files in question :

DEFE 3/1019 / Nos 1-120
HW 11/7 / Vol. VII The Eastern Front
AIR 40/2687 / German Air Force: daily summaries of teleprints and special reports for the period 11 July 1944-6th May 1945
HW 5/567 - HW 5/608

Thanks in advance

Mori

Re: UK National Archives Files

Post by Mori » 16 Mar 2019, 11:35

All DEFE 3 are on free download at the TNA site.

I happen to have a copy of AIR 40/2687. You're pretty lucky. Email me.

The best place to ask for TNA documents is probably ww2talk.com. I know people copied all the HW5, they may be willing to share.

Natter

Post by Natter » 17 Mar 2019, 02:37

Mihai Pica wrote:could anyone point a researcher who could photograph them?
I highly recommend @rcre: Lee has copied hundreds of folders for me at TNA. He's fast, offers good price, delivers high quality photos and generally a very good service.

NB: Sadly (despite what's offered on the website), it's impossible to get him to visit IWM, so if anyone has a tip regarding avilable researchers there please let me know...

Mihai Pica

Post by Mihai Pica » 18 Mar 2019, 09:55

Thank you very much both.

Mori so I thought myself, that the DEFE 3 files are ( or were ) freely available, but I created an account and when i went to select those specific files it asked me to order a digitization.

All the best, Mihai

Mori

Post by Mori » 18 Mar 2019, 12:40

Mihai Pica wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 09:55
Mori so I thought myself, that the DEFE 3 files are ( or were ) freely available, but I created an account and when i went to select those specific files it asked me to order a digitization.
Do all the process (add files to your basket, go to chekout etc.). At the end, you will realize the price is set at zero.

MarkN

Post by MarkN » 18 Mar 2019, 13:23

Natter wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 02:37
Mihai Pica wrote:could anyone point a researcher who could photograph them?
I highly recommend @rcre: Lee has copied hundreds of folders for me at TNA. He's fast, offers good price, delivers high quality photos and generally a very good service.

NB: Sadly (despite what's offered on the website), it's impossible to get him to visit IWM, so if anyone has a tip regarding avilable researchers there please let me know...
Neither reading rooms at IWM London or IWM Duxford provide camera stands. Photographing documents is thus a case of spending the day bending over the papers, constantly having to refocus the camera after every shot. I know because I've spend several days doing just that. The end result is often poor quality blurr which you only realise when you get home and look through the images. On average, I manage to photograph about a quarter of the number of pages that I do during a single session at PRO. IWM London is also limited to just two 3-hour windows per day and you have to pay £10 for the right to use your camera.

Which files in particular are/were you looking for?

Mihai Pica

Post by Mihai Pica » 18 Mar 2019, 14:21

Mori wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 12:40
Mihai Pica wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 09:55
Do all the process (add files to your basket, go to chekout etc.). At the end, you will realize the price is set at zero.
It works well with other files from DEFE 3, but for some reason they didn't scan all of them, please see link

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... /C11197258

Igorak89

Post by Igorak89 » 09 Oct 2019, 13:44

I am looking for the following UK National Archives' files:
KV 3/170
KV 3/171
KV 3/172
KV 3/173
KV 3/174

They are about Abwehr Organisation in Portugal.

I would appreciate any help.

Mihai Pica

Post by Mihai Pica » 10 Oct 2019, 16:40

As Natter suggested above I also now can recommend https://www.arcre.com/ , I think I have placed already ~10 orders with them, 0 issues and great price.

Natter

Post by Natter » 14 Oct 2019, 21:01

Sorry for the late reply, I just noticed the new posts today.
MarkN wrote:Neither reading rooms at IWM London or IWM Duxford provide camera stands. Photographing documents is thus a case of spending the day bending over the papers, constantly having to refocus the camera after every shot. I know because I've spend several days doing just that. The end result is often poor quality blurr which you only realise when you get home and look through the images. On average, I manage to photograph about a quarter of the number of pages that I do during a single session at PRO. IWM London is also limited to just two 3-hour windows per day and you have to pay £10 for the right to use your camera.
Yes, I know about the limitations in terms of access and opening hours at IWM.

Using camera stands at archives is not worth it in my opinion: I stopped using those a long time ago, as you can process way more material with handheld camera. Blurred photos are generally not a problem either in my experience (of course, it depends on the type of documents, and what quality you need, but that is primary a question of using camera in general vs a scanner).

I also have tried ordering copies from their online service, but never got a reply (I believe they announced a delivery time of about 9 months, so not very practical anyway... :-/ ).
MarkN wrote:Which files in particular are/were you looking for?
I have a long wish list - in particular several technical HEC-reports on various german technology and weapons.

Return to “Archives”