TOW Missiles

Discussions on other historical eras.
ChristopherPerrien

Re: TOW Missiles

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 03 Jun 2019, 16:30

Sorry about my second posting containing a lot of grammar issues. Was in a lot of pain that day, and just typed a draft , and thought I saved it as a draft instead of posting it. I may come back to it , fix/redo/rethink it. I will note:

Yea, typical ground pounder , no clue of armor warfare, Combined Arms? LOL Still clue
I meant the writer , not you Ironmachine

and
T he place where we're really missing out is SMALLER FOGM's for the infantry.
Yea, exactly. I saw those HMMW's equipped with and 8 FOGM launcher as something that should be attached to line Battalions or even down at Line companies, instead they went with Apache up at a Brigade level or higher. It was much like our "Air defense" back then , IMO every armor company should have had Stingers or at least Stringer teams assigned to them, but a I guess Brigade HQ's needed air-defense more than we did. I never saw the reaall high defense assets like a ROlAND vehicle. a R. Overall, all a line armor company would have is a FIST-V and maybe a Vulcan/M1113 . I could only imagine the recon abilities and fire support abilities an added FOGM vehicle would have added down at our level, beyond just taking out enemy vehicles/tanks/low flying aircraft.

What I was thinking back in 1989."
But then we won the Cold War , and I thought the world would be come a more peaceful place, but the knowledge of such FOGM's might prevent a new "big war" from ever happening . However now they go on not realize that the new drones , once they see the electromagnetic hell that will be played upon the EM spectrum. FOGM's will not only be wiping out tanks and helicopters but even individual infantry. Drones will have nothing on them. Our drones work now only because we fight peasants with no ECM capacity . Might work against terrorists or patriots , won't work against organized modern enemy combatants. China is building drone launching AFV's , but they will get wise and realize as the Germans did in WWI , the only way to securely control your forces/weapons without enemy eavesdropping or 'scrambling" is by wire , not radio.
I meant the Germans in WWII, by the example of ENIGMA being compromise, but their Operation "Watch on the Rhine-The BotB" was a surprise because the orders were hand carried or sent by phone, not radio. And how all their RADAR system were degrade by various counter-measures and the scrambling of controls signals to Fritz(IIRC) missiles. And would have shorty happened to their Enzian , if they had ever got it working

The will happen to "drones" in the future. ECM/EMP "projectors" and other radio scramblers will knock them out the sky, Even "autonomous drones" will have their little electronic brains scrambled., and god knows how our EMSphere will be after a few nuclear weapons go off especially atmospheric detonations.
So i see a real future in "Fiber optic wire guided" weapons- can't scramble the light signals - that "fishing line" don't weigh much. wont work for low flying drones but for the FOGM concept , I just see it as a weapon control "end-around" to the future EM war that will happen when the next "real " war happens. Not a bad idea to go back to the old "wire teams" and lay out FO cables for commo/info commo either. GPS/radio and all that will go down quickly , better have some hard(FO) wire strung out between ground elements.

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 08 Jun 2019, 22:33

Are there any countries beside the United States that uses the TOW anti-tank missiles in action today? I remember reading about Syrian factions using TOW anti-tank missiles in action in Syria itself. Any NATO countries use TOW anti-tank missiles in combat today?

Edward L. Hsiao

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 09 Jun 2019, 03:54

Edward L. Hsiao wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:33
Are there any countries beside the United States that uses the TOW anti-tank missiles in action today? I remember reading about Syrian factions using TOW anti-tank missiles in action in Syria itself. Any NATO countries use TOW anti-tank missiles in combat today?

Edward L. Hsiao
Sure, they are used by many miltaries and have been sold both legally and illegally to various "3rd parties" and also acquired through 'spoils of war, government overthrows and theft. 100's of 1000's (all models)have been built since their first employment in Vietnam by the USA . Though I do not know if they are built only be Hughes/Raytheon in America or if they are built under license elsewhere as well. Most would be ITOW-Improved TOW/TOW 2 now. Commonly for Helicopter use (less problem with snagged wires, though still an issue ) but also AFV's , and GL TOW's

Current users -per wiki

Argentina
Bahrain
Belgium: AgustaWestland AW109 A109 AH(L)-TOW helicopter only
Botswana
Cameroon
Canada: 147 launchers in service in 2000[54]
Croatia
Chile
Chad
Colombia
Denmark
Egypt: Produced under license[55]
Ethiopia
Finland[56]
Hungary
Germany
Greece
Iran: Local production under the name "Toophan" (طوفان)
Iraq: Iranian version[57]
Indonesia
Israel
Italy: Total of 432 launchers. 5,000 BGM-71 missiles and 130 launchers delivered in 1974; 10,000 missiles delivered in 1976–1978; 2,311 ITOW delivered in 1982–1984; 6,629 BGM-71C ITOW delivered in 1986–1989 for 67 million dollars (of which 1,239 were practice missiles); 1,440 BGM-71D TOW2 for A129 Mangusta delivered in 1990–1996
Japan
Jordan
Kenya
Kuwait
Lebanon: most carried by Humvee
Luxembourg
Mexico
Morocco: 70 launchers in service;[58] 1,200 BGM-71-4B-RF TOW 2A RF missiles on order, approved for export on 8 December 2016[59]
Norway
Oman[60]
Pakistan[61]
Portugal
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
Somalia Somalia
South Korea: To be replaced by Raybolt. Still used in MD 500 Defender
Spain
Sweden
Eswatini
Free Syrian Army
Switzerland
Taiwan[60]
Thailand
Tunisia
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom: Westland Lynx helicopters and Stormer 30 vehicle only [62]
United States
Vietnam,

Some countries have also counterfeited the TOW, Iran for one(from TOW's of the Shah's armed forces and later the Iran-Contra Affair), and IIRC, China was said to have stolen ITOW tech/spec/info back in the 1980's and used it in their ATGM's, . Though I have no knowledge of what Chinese ATGM's might incorporate the design/specs today.

ZerehKoob

Post by ZerehKoob » 17 Nov 2020, 20:06

https://s6.picofile.com/file/8174446618 ... 0f2dd3.jpg

With 162 Confirmed Kills, This Iranian Officer is Leading Tank Destructor of Iranian Army during Iran / Iraq War.

First & Last Name: Hasan-Ali Ebrahimi Saieed

Rank & Branch of Service: Captain, Infantry

Unit: AT Platoon, 283rd Armored Cavalry Bn, 92nd Tank Division

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 18 Nov 2020, 02:37

I wonder how the Iranian Army set up some rules over tank kills confirmation? 162 kills over Iraq tanks by Hasan-Ali Ebrahimi Saieed seems too high.

Edward L. Hsiao

ZerehKoob

Post by ZerehKoob » 18 Nov 2020, 10:28

Edward L. Hsiao wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 02:37
I wonder how the Iranian Army set up some rules over tank kills confirmation? 162 kills over Iraq tanks by Hasan-Ali Ebrahimi Saieed seems too high.

Edward L. Hsiao
Dear Edward, No need to wonder! Iran / Iraq war lasted about 8 years, Most of Armored units of both countries were stationed at Southern Front, Khuzestan Province of Iran, because of suitable train for maneuvers of Armored Divisions. There wasn't much Armored Conflicts in Central or Northern Fronts, because of Train. However, there is no detailed Information about Iranian Army Activities during War, Because Iranian Regime wants to disappear Artesh, in Books and even in Schools, they don`t say anything about Artesh and it`s Sacrifices during war! Only some beard Armed rebels, Better known as "Basij" and "IRGC".

Return to “Other eras”