Anschluss

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Kaan Caglar

Post by Kaan Caglar » 30 Apr 2004, 17:33

Thanks for a wonderful thread!
Wanted to ask you experts about this photo on my computer which I saved from the net.I believe it was taken during the Anschluss. But where?
Regards
Kaan
Attachments
Anschluss.jpg
Anschluss.jpg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 3433 times

Kaan Caglar

Post by Kaan Caglar » 30 Apr 2004, 17:40

Just found this picture in the Third Reich in Ruins website.
Best
Kaan

Orok

Post by Orok » 30 Apr 2004, 18:07

Kaan,

Thank you for sharing these interesting pictures!

I am not quite sure if the first picture actually depicts the scene of Anschluß. It looks like Hitler's special train being cheered by a huge crowd, but during Anschluß Hitler went into Austria riding a motorcade. There are numerous photos showing him in a convertible car on his way to Vienna cheered by riotous crowds.

And the entering into Austria was orginized in a rather hurried way so I tend to think no troop trains would be decorated in such a deliborate way during the event.

It would help if anyone can recognize the slogan on the side of the train "Hitler Deutschland ......." although it seems to me incomplete.

As to the second photo it surely is a scene from the Anschluß, probably Salzburg, but again I am not sure.

Best Regards!

Kaan Caglar

Post by Kaan Caglar » 30 Apr 2004, 21:06

Hi Orok,
No problem. The second one was captioned as "Braunau"
For the first picture: I remember I took it from a German website. The Caption was:
"Die nationalsozialistische Propaganda konzentrierte sich nach dem "Anschluss" bewusst auf die Arbeitsbeschaffung. Unter anderem befuhr - mit Blickrichtung auf die Volksabstimmung - ein "Reichswerbezug" die österreichische Provinz"
If someone can translate we may have the answer :)
Some more pics from the net:
Melk:
Godesberg:
A video:
http://www.aeiou.at/aeiou.film.data.film/f107a.mpg
Best Regards
Kaan

Orok

Post by Orok » 01 May 2004, 00:10

KaaN,

Thanks for the pictures, and the German caption of the train photo. It seems the train was a Nazi propoganda group promoting Anschluß for the upcoming referendum, which, according to German official count, was 99% for Anschluß!

Best Regards!

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 12 May 2004, 23:46

The title of one of the "anschluss"-photos says GODESBERG

But is this Austria? I only know Godesberg as a town near, now a part of Bonn, Germany.
My "Österreichisches Lexikon" does not list a town Godesberg für Austria, and living here for more than 40 years did not help either....

hauptmannn

Post by hauptmannn » 17 May 2004, 06:16

Yes Kaan just gave me an idea! Perhaps any of you can provide videos as well? :)

Kaan Caglar

Post by Kaan Caglar » 18 May 2004, 20:16

Max, sorry it might be captioned wrong. You might visit the site I took it from the link of the picture to find out the truth.
Haupt: http://www.britishpathe.com/product_dis ... =anschluss
Best Regards
Kaan

Giel

Post by Giel » 18 May 2004, 20:32

Very very nice pics!!!!
Giel

tigre

Re: Anschluss

Post by tigre » 23 Apr 2019, 21:06

Hello to all :D; more...............................................

Kiefersfelden - Kufstein 1938.

On March 12, 1938 took place the "Anschluss" - which was very much desired by large parts of the population - of Austria into Hitler's Germany. On the state border in Kiefersfelden the Wehrmacht troops marched through Kufstein customs, after they were convinced that there was no sign of resistance on the border. At 10:30 hours they marched towards the city through the station and the square of the lower town and were received solemnly. From the imperial tower of the fortress waved the flag with the swastika................

Source: Hitler in seiner Heimat. Heinrich Hoffmann
https://www.meinbezirk.at/kufstein/c-po ... n_a2434047

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
Attachments
image042.jpg
image042.jpg (35.17 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
image041.jpg
image041.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 2030 times

tigre

Post by tigre » 11 May 2019, 21:07

St. Pölten 1938.

On March 12, 1938, the so-called "Anschluss" of Austria was carried out militarily in the morning hours. At noon the German troops reached St. Pölten. Two days later, on 14 March, Adolf Hitler stopped on his way from Linz to Vienna in St. Pölten, where he dined with his entourage at the Hotel Pittner. Thousands of inhabitants were on the street to pay homage to their "leader."................

Source: http://www.aboutww2militaria.com/first- ... chter.html
https://noe.orf.at/news/stories/2575257/

Cheers. Raúl M 8-)
Attachments
image026.jpg
Adolf Hitler is greeted in St. Pölten...........................
image026.jpg (45.15 KiB) Viewed 1979 times

tigre

Post by tigre » 30 Jun 2019, 21:45

First days of Austria within III. Reich.

Source: "Illustrierter Beobachter" 31. March 1938

Cheers. Raúl M 8-)
Attachments
image046.jpg
AH presides over the military parade ............................................
image046.jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
image048.jpg
German troops marching past..............................................
image048.jpg (39.89 KiB) Viewed 1853 times

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 01 Jul 2019, 11:55

One problem here is that such photos, while interesting, cannot give an accurate impression of events, especially with regard to the real state of Austrian public opinion.

Most of the Austrian public were not in the welcoming crowds, but stayed at work or home. Even in Linz, the hometown of Hitler's youth, only about 40% of the population turned out. In Vienna it was only about 17%.

Almost by definition, there will be almost no photos of people indifferent to, nervous of, or opposed to the Anschluss feverishly not welcoming the German troops.

So, enjoy the photos for the uniforms, but be wary of drawing wider conclusions from them about Austrian public opinion.

Cheers,

Sid.

tigre

Post by tigre » 02 Jul 2019, 03:59

Hello to all :D; yes Sid, Neither sympathizers nor admirers only sharing a historical fact. Cheers. Raúl M 8-).

Steve

Post by Steve » 02 Jul 2019, 17:09

Hi, very interesting pictures but do they reflect reality? Austria had since 1933 been effectively a one party right wing state hence very difficult to gauge public opinion. The general consensus in writings about the Anschluss is that Hitler invaded when he did because Austrian chancellor Schuschnigg was going to hold a referendum on union with Germany. The Nazis had doubts about winning such a referendum so Hitler moved to stop it, but is it as simple as that?

Schuschnigg had met Hitler on February 9 and been bullied into accepting an agreement that would have eventually seen Austria unifying with Germany. Later Hitler issued a directive to the Austrian Nazi party that he wanted to “go down the evolutionary way”. Though there had been no mention of a referendum at the February meeting Schuschnigg later decided to call one on a question and in circumstances that made it highly unlikely he could lose. The question would be according to historian Ian Kershaw in his book Hitler 1936 – 1945 whether Austria wanted “a free and German, independent and social, Christian and united Austria; for peace and work, and for the equal rights of all who declare themselves for people and fatherland”. No mention of union with Germany. In addition according to the Wikipedia article on Anschluss Schuschnigg was going to lift a ban on opposition parties if they would vote in favour and ban voters under 24 as these were most likely to vote Nazi. Presumably if Schuschnigg had won he would have said that “independent and social” meant Austrians did not want a union. Not surprisingly Hitler went into a rage threw the February agreement into the bin and invaded.

As Schuschnigg did not want to put a clear question to the electorate and wanted to limit the number of voters he probably thought he could not win on a simple yes no. Even if the photos of cheering crowds are not a true reflection I doubt they are far off.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”