Schützenpanzerwagen 38 (d)

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Petrus

Schützenpanzerwagen 38 (d)

Post by Petrus » 07 Jan 2005, 16:24

This is what Kliment and Francev in their book "Czechoslovak Armoured Fighting Vehicles 1918-1948" say about an AIFV that was supposed to replace the Sd.Kfz.251:
In late 1944 a specification was issued for a fully tracked personnel carrier based on a lengthened 38 (d) chassis. By adding a fifth road wheel, the length was increased to 6.2 m. The armour was 30 mm at the front and 20 mm on the sides. The vehicle was designed to carry a hemispherical turret with a dual-purpose 2 cm gun and have a crew of four. It could carry eight men in its rear section. Its weight was planned to be 12 tons and the maximum speed of 30 km/hour with a range of 200 km. Only a mock-up of this vehicle was built.

I wonder whether there are other sources mentioning this vehicle. Hopefully somebody knows more about it.
Last but not least, I suspect that if the mock-up had been built indeed, there would have been some photos/drawing showing this. I would appreciate any info on that.

Best regards,
Petrus

Note 1: Don't be surprised that the above excerpt comes from a Czech book as the vehicle in question was to be built on a modified chassis of the Hetzer (which beyond any doubt was a very Czech design).

Note 2: The designation I have put above not necessarily must have been the correct one. However it is quite possible, bearing in mind the German designation system, that it could be so.

bryson109

Post by bryson109 » 07 Jan 2005, 18:40

Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) variants by David V. Nielson, covers the personnel carrier prototype. It does not say much about it, other then it was based on the Ausf.M chassis.
There are three pics in the book, including an interior shot.

Nimitz Zhang

Re:

Post by Nimitz Zhang » 31 Jul 2019, 18:39

bryson109 wrote:
07 Jan 2005, 18:40
Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) variants by David V. Nielson, covers the personnel carrier prototype. It does not say much about it, other then it was based on the Ausf.M chassis.
Can you please take the picture of those three images and post them? I am very puzzled by the engine placement on Schutzenpanzerwagen 38(D), for the engine placement in the middle leaves no space for 8 infantry that it is supposed to carry.

Alanmccoubrey

Re: Re:

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 01 Aug 2019, 20:31

Nimitz Zhang wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 18:39
bryson109 wrote:
Can you please take the picture of those three images and post them? I am very puzzled by the engine placement on Schutzenpanzerwagen 38(D), for the engine placement in the middle leaves no space for 8 infantry that it is supposed to carry.
The engine is forward beside the driver and the eight men sit is a compartment in the rear. Google will give you all the pictures.
Alan

Nimitz Zhang

Re: Re:

Post by Nimitz Zhang » 02 Aug 2019, 03:21

Alanmccoubrey wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 20:31
Nimitz Zhang wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 18:39
bryson109 wrote:
The engine is forward beside the driver and the eight men sit is a compartment in the rear. Google will give you all the pictures.
Thank you so much for the clarification. But why does many drawing shows a turret placed at the center, if the engine takes up space beside the drive, then it must extend down the fighting compartment as well, forcing the turret to be placed at an offset like this:Image

In that case, will the semispherical two-man turret housing KwK 38 still fit? I feel like there will only be enough space for a one-man turret housing an MG 151/20:Image

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”