Astonishing achievements achieved by 1 soldier

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
PatrickBateman

Astonishing achievements achieved by 1 soldier

Post by PatrickBateman » 01 Aug 2019, 19:06

I didn't really where to put this kind of question on the forum, and the title may sound weird because I didn't really know how to say it right way If you know what I mean, if you do, please tell me :D .

I'm looking for amazing actions achieved by soldiers, single-handedly, during World War II, regardless from which nation they came from. I have already a few examples:

Audie Murphy, single-handedly holding off an entire company of German soldiers for an hour at the Colmar Pocket in France in January 1945, firing a machine gun from a burning M10 tank destroyer.
Michiel Wittmann, I think we all know what he achieved, his most famous actions at Villers-Bocage in 1944.
Gerard Mooyman, destroyed 13 Soviet tanks on 1 day.
Fritz Christen, despite having almost no food and water for almost three days, he had killed over 100 Soviet soldiers and destroyed 13 tanks on his own.

Are there any more of these amazing things performed by 1 man? Let me know please, thank you.

Sheldrake

Re: Astonishing achievements achieved by 1 soldier

Post by Sheldrake » 01 Aug 2019, 20:14

You mean like Hein Serveloh who single handed killed 12,000 Americans on Omaha Beach?

What is your interest? A book or article?

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 01 Aug 2019, 20:35

Just interesting to read these kind of stories and I might want to make a sort of video/documentary about it (not making any money with that, just saying).

12,000 death on Omaha beach? You are not taking me seriously, right? Because American casualties were to the utmost 5,000, KIA or WIA. Anyway, yes, I mean stories like Heinrich Severloh.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 01 Aug 2019, 20:44

PatrickBateman wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 20:35

12,000 death on Omaha beach? You are not taking me seriously, right?
I think you missed the point of that post!

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 02 Aug 2019, 00:38

PatrickBateman wrote:
Just interesting to read these kind of stories and I might want to make a sort of video/documentary about it (not making any money with that, just saying).

12,000 death on Omaha beach? You are not taking me seriously, right? Because American casualties were to the utmost 5,000, KIA or WIA. Anyway, yes, I mean stories like Heinrich Severloh.
Please forgive my use of ironic exaggeration.

Sorry, but this sounds like a great case study of how fake history is created. Lets take a half understood story and turn it into a heroic legend. Google Hein serveloh.

Lets take Wittman for a start. Do we all known what he did? Were you planning to mention the other four tanks that attacked the lead British squadron at pt 213?

Omeganian

Post by Omeganian » 02 Aug 2019, 08:07

Ivan Sereda, who took out a tank with an axe.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world- ... ldier.html

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 02 Aug 2019, 10:03

Sheldrake wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 00:38
PatrickBateman wrote:

Please forgive my use of ironic exaggeration.

Sorry, but this sounds like a great case study of how fake history is created. Lets take a half understood story and turn it into a heroic legend. Google Hein serveloh.

Lets take Wittman for a start. Do we all known what he did? Were you planning to mention the other four tanks that attacked the lead British squadron at pt 213?
No it's ok, I understand the 'danger' of fake history or keeping the propaganda stories like Wittmann alive. First of all I know he had an entire crew after all so he didn't do anything alone, ofcourse. Getting the facts right is the most important thing I want!

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 02 Aug 2019, 11:44

I think you will find plenty of people here willing to help you to fact check.

and for a US oriented WW2

http://ww2f.com/

for British and Commonwealth
http://ww2talk.com/index.php

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 02 Aug 2019, 14:17

Thanks for the tips Sheldrake, but first I want some more stories like these, so I can do some research on my own and put that list on those websites you mentioned.

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 02 Aug 2019, 19:14

How did Wittmann manage to drive, operate the radio, load and aim the gun while sitting in his commander's seat ? He hardly counts as being a single soldier for his "achievements".
Alan

I have questions

Post by I have questions » 02 Aug 2019, 21:40

there is a story out there (not sure how astonishing it is so much as it is surprising). Anyway the story goes that during the battle for Kursk there was an Untersturmfuhrer (I think that was his rank) who had an incendiary grenade in his pocket, as he was charging a T-34 a bullet hit the grenade and lit his pants on fire. Allegedly he took off both his pants and underwear and continued his charge, destroying the tank. I think his name was Joachim Kruger.

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 02 Aug 2019, 21:54

How many did Sgt John Basilone and his MG teams kill on Guadalcanal?
Was he and his men up there with Serveloh and Gockel, or is it all just fake news.

Yan.

mars

Post by mars » 02 Aug 2019, 22:08

Here is an event happened on Nov 15 1944 over Yugoslavia: a group of Soviet IL-2 were on their way back from a mission, one of the Soviet pilot Nikolai Shmelyov recalled suddenly 2 FW 190s jumped one of IL-2 flew in front of him, that IL-2 immediately dived toward the ground level, but that 2 FW 190s followed and not long after, they hit that IL-2 repeatedly, Shmelyov tried to intervene, but before he could get close, he saw one of the FW 190 crashed, and seeing that, and the other FW 190 disengaged, Shmelyov did not see anyone was firing to that FW 190. After landing, he was shock to learn that this FW 190 was brought down by a single lucky shot, a very lucky shot, from an antitank refile fired by a Bulgarian soldier! From Soviet record the name of that Bulgarian soldier was Nikolai Shmelyov, the weapon he used was a Solothurn S-18/100 antitank rifle. From German record, a FW 190 F-8 WNr 930854 from II/SG 10 failed to return from a mission at this area that day, the piolt was killed

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 03 Aug 2019, 11:44

Now you mentioned a shot down aircraft by a anti-tank rifle Mars, the gunner of German tank ace Otto Carius shot down a Soviet aircraft with their Tiger tank.

"we had a lot of trouble with the Russian fighters. They "lurched" past us, almost without a break. That's really the way one has to describe that type of Hying. My gunner, Unteroffizier Kramer, can take credit for a deed that was probably unparalleled on the Eastern Front. That is, he succeeded in shooting down a Russian fighter with the tank cannon. Of course, he was also helped by chance. This was how it happened. Kramer, upset In the unrelenting nuisance of these guvs, elevated his cannon along the approach route. I talked him in. He took a
chance and pulled the trigger. On the second attempt, he hit one of the "bees" in its wing. The Russian crashed behind us. On the same day, we received yet another breather; two Russians collided and tore each other apart before crashing."

mars

Post by mars » 03 Aug 2019, 17:36

PatrickBateman wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 11:44
Now you mentioned a shot down aircraft by a anti-tank rifle Mars, the gunner of German tank ace Otto Carius shot down a Soviet aircraft with their Tiger tank.

"we had a lot of trouble with the Russian fighters. They "lurched" past us, almost without a break. That's really the way one has to describe that type of Hying. My gunner, Unteroffizier Kramer, can take credit for a deed that was probably unparalleled on the Eastern Front. That is, he succeeded in shooting down a Russian fighter with the tank cannon. Of course, he was also helped by chance. This was how it happened. Kramer, upset In the unrelenting nuisance of these guvs, elevated his cannon along the approach route. I talked him in. He took a
chance and pulled the trigger. On the second attempt, he hit one of the "bees" in its wing. The Russian crashed behind us. On the same day, we received yet another breather; two Russians collided and tore each other apart before crashing."
This is not same thing, could Carius's claim could be confirmed by both German and Russian official record ?

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”