Regulation Hair styles?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
headwest

Regulation Hair styles?

Post by headwest » 08 Aug 2019, 15:22

Hi

sort of a weird topic but i was curious about this after seeing numerous pics and videos with this style

i have seen a bunch of german soldiers, SS and regular with very long hair on top, short on sides and back

i was surprised that this would be regulation approved? Does anyone know if this was acceptable and if so when it came into style? it almost looks modern etc

i had a picture of 2 SS boys, surrendering in what looks like winter, by a water pump, they have this style. and quite a few youtube clips of marching german troops heading into russia the have this as well.

Just curious about this style? and if it was approved

thanks

Michael Kenny

Re: Regulation Hair styles?

Post by Michael Kenny » 08 Aug 2019, 17:55

headwest wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 15:22

i have seen a bunch of german soldiers, SS and regular with very long hair on top, short on sides and back

i was surprised that this would be regulation approved? Does anyone know if this was acceptable and if so when it came into style? it almost looks modern etc

What you see is the reality. Various hair-styles shown here, 8 in total

https://youtu.be/6fOi6EVobxI?t=223

and 3 surly individuals here

https://youtu.be/7e-WMrUSUIo?t=143

Screenshot_50-vert.jpg

Its a common misconception that hair was short and the most absurd way this error manifests itself is in the cloying hagiography of Knispel
Screenshot_51.jpg nn.jpg.jpg
Facebook is awash with the ignorant claiming his 'long hair' and Bohemian appearance marks him as an anti-Nazi rebel and the first hippy. It is even suggested that a character from the film 'Kelly's Heroes' is based upon Knispel.

Some revel in this ignorance:
Screenshot_44-vbertr.jpg

headwest

Post by headwest » 08 Aug 2019, 20:29

Hi Michael

yep you nailed it! thats the style. I read that about knispel as well. I don't knwo alot about him but thats my "perception" of him after just reading thru posts on him.

I am trying to find the picture I saw or have somewhere of these 2 teenage boys surrendering. they have this style. When i was in the army it was clean shaven and High and Tight, mostly for gas mask seal on face.

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 08 Aug 2019, 20:46

This might be one of those German soldiers, headwest. I would say he fits perfectly into the 1960s Beatles era. I have add another photo of captured British airborne troops during Market Garden. The British soldier in the middle has also quite long hair, looks like typical 1970s style.
Attachments
German-prisoner_Belgiya_1944_T_Vaccaro.jpg
6037943853_862e491d61_b.jpg

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 08 Aug 2019, 20:54

I have a few more if you don't mind, and now I'm pretty sure I have the one you mentioned, headwest. Some different, long hairstyles during the Ardennes offensive.
Attachments
SS_Hitlerjugend_Schillersdorf_1945.jpg
POW_Snamont_45.jpg
German_POW_Weywertz_Belgium_2_1945.jpg

headwest

Post by headwest » 08 Aug 2019, 21:16

Excellent stuff patrick!

you FOUND the one I was thinking of!n First one in your second post!

thanks!

It's something I never really noticed before. I thought maybe it was troops in the field a long time who couldn't get haircuts but then all of a sudden I saw it soe many times with def cuts on the side and back and was really blown away that this was regulation approved

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 08 Aug 2019, 21:41

IWM photo B6764. Cully, July 9 1944.
B6764 Cully July 9 .Barber ..  ,,.jpg

headwest

Post by headwest » 08 Aug 2019, 22:09

Thanks Michael, so both sides at that time period. Interesting for sure.

thanks!

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”