German Armored Reserve? Weichsel-Oder Offensive 1945

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
The Norwegian Guy

German Armored Reserve? Weichsel-Oder Offensive 1945

Post by The Norwegian Guy » 08 Oct 2019, 14:39

Could the Germans have stopped the Soviet advance against the Oder during the Vistula-Oder offensive in 1945 with an armored reserve?

As far as I know, during the Soviet offensive, the Germans had a so-called “reserve”, I believe this was the 5, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25 Panzer-Divisions as well as the 20. Panzergrenadier-Division. By also spearing the 6. Panzerarmee, having it stationed behind the Vistula-front, could the Germans pull off a miracle? I have opened up a discussion about this earlier but it was very generalizing. I do not know which other units the 6. Panzerarmee could have allocated under its command but the bone of the force would then be 1. SS-Panzer-Division “Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler”, 2. SS-Panzer-Division “Das Reich”, 9. SS-Panzer-Division „Hohenstaufen“ and 12. SS-Panzer-Division “Hitlerjugend”.

I guess the 5. Panzer-Division would have to be taken away from East-Prussia right?

Kind Regards, E :milwink:

Peter89

Re: German Armored Reserve? Weichsel-Oder Offensive 1945

Post by Peter89 » 10 Oct 2019, 13:47

Short answer is no.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

The Norwegian Guy

Post by The Norwegian Guy » 10 Oct 2019, 21:01

Peter89 wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 13:47
Short answer is no.
I’m not looking for a short answer, sorry.

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 10 Oct 2019, 22:08

The Norwegian Guy wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 14:39
Could the Germans have stopped the Soviet advance against the Oder during the Vistula-Oder offensive in 1945 with an armored reserve?

As far as I know, during the Soviet offensive, the Germans had a so-called “reserve”, I believe this was the 5, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25 Panzer-Divisions as well as the 20. Panzergrenadier-Division. By also spearing the 6. Panzerarmee, having it stationed behind the Vistula-front, could the Germans pull off a miracle? I have opened up a discussion about this earlier but it was very generalizing. I do not know which other units the 6. Panzerarmee could have allocated under its command but the bone of the force would then be 1. SS-Panzer-Division “Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler”, 2. SS-Panzer-Division “Das Reich”, 9. SS-Panzer-Division „Hohenstaufen“ and 12. SS-Panzer-Division “Hitlerjugend”.

I guess the 5. Panzer-Division would have to be taken away from East-Prussia right?

Kind Regards, E :milwink:
Slowing it down was the only thing that could be achieved. Pulling back to a shorter line before the attack started, was most important to escape the artillery preparation. Armoured reserves needed to be stationed much further back than actually was the case. 6. SS pz army would certainly have been useful and Guderian certainly wanted it there.

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

Post by Robert Rojas » 20 Oct 2019, 06:44

Greetings to both citizen "GUY-FROM NORWAY" (or 'E' if you so prefer) and the community as a whole. Howdy G.F.N.! Well sir, in light of your introductory posting of Tuesday - October 08, 2019 - 4:39am, old yours truly is mildly surprised that you've opted to shift this discussion of yours from the WHAT IF section forum to the anally retentive realm of the GERMAN STRATEGY & GENERAL GERMAN MILITARY DISCUSSION section of the forum. Now, if it's reams of trivial minutiae that you seek, then you've obviously made the correct decision to relocate your discussion to this section of he forum. This section of the forum has more than its fair share of self-appointed conceited know-it-alls who will not hesitate to cite you chapter and verse WHY YOUR CONCEPTUAL IDEA OR IDEAS WILL NOT WORK. As you already know, I did not cut you short shrift when you when initially broached this quite unorthodox topic of yours under the title of GERMAN ENCIRCLEMENT OF THE FIRST BELORUSSIAN FRONT 1945 over on the WHAT IF section of the forum. I wish you nothing but the best of luck finding a forum contributor that might have a positive inkling about the Wehrmacht's capability to encircle and annihilate the FIRST BELORUSSIAN FRONT before metropolitan Berlin in 1945. Field Marshal Walter Model is going to be one very busy boy! Well, that's my initial two Yankee cents worth on this sojourn down the road to the Gotterdammerung - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day over in your corner of Scandinavia.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :|
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”