Interchanges between Wehrmacht and SS personnel

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Helmut0815

Interchanges between Wehrmacht and SS personnel

Post by Helmut0815 » 25 Oct 2019, 20:31

Bruno D. (93), who is currently on trial before a court in Hamburg for being a guard in the Stutthof camp, stated that he did not serve voluntarily in the Totenkopf-SS but was transferred from Wehrmacht to SS due to a cardiac defect which made him unfit for military service.
Well, I know that there were lots of interchanges between Waffen-SS and Totenkopf-SS but from Wehrmacht to SS? Was this common practice or is his statement false?

best regards

Helmut

steve248

Re: Interchanges between Wehrmacht and SS personnel

Post by steve248 » 26 Oct 2019, 19:34

A report on this trial was in The Times (London) earlier this week, though it did not mention what you are asking.
I doubt whether this was a transfer from the Wehrmacht to the Waffen-SS.
The more likely scenario is that Bruno D. (born 1926) was called up to the Army in 1944 (when he was 18) but rejected due to his heart troubles. The Waffen-SS then picked up on his rejection and sent him to KL Stutthof, before or after some sort of training.
It is always debatable whether this was voluntary because he really did not have much choice in the matter just like all other conscripts in armies across the world.

wm

Post by wm » 26 Oct 2019, 21:21

I suppose it's probable he was rejected and later called again because medical requirements were relaxed.

But still, he lives surprisingly long with that cardiac defect...

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 27 Oct 2019, 10:58

You mean Bruno Dey, not D. There is no need to hide his surname.

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 29 Oct 2019, 18:34

It was very Common with Transfers from LW, KM and Heer to different SS-T.-Stuba or other Waffen-SS units.

Best regards
Georg
"Information not shared, is lost"

Personal Blog - http://wennallebruderschweigen.blogspot.com/
Support AHF - app.php/support
My Project - www.führerliste.com

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 30 Oct 2019, 13:47

Sergey Romanov wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 10:58
You mean Bruno Dey, not D. There is no need to hide his surname.
Where did you find/read his surname, Sergey?
The version "Bruno D." is used, AFAIK, according data protection laws.

They are also very severe here in Austria and regulary used/executed nowadays for convicted criminals from countires abroad (lots of such folk get convicted for theft in a nearby shopping mall or burglary) and not a single newspaper or police report does state their full name.
No photos of them may be published either in which they´re recognisable, except they gave their permission (what never happens).
Same is valid for patients names once stuck on the door/wall of their hospital room or asking the janitor in which room your family member/friend/relative/etc. can be found. NO info.
And of course no information by telephone about the actual health condition. Only a close family member who has the proper keyword for the patient case will get such info.

Sergey Romanov

Post by Sergey Romanov » 31 Oct 2019, 14:59

Google the name I gave. I'm aware of the dumb laws.

corbulo

Post by corbulo » 29 Nov 2019, 17:45

steve248 wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 19:34
A report on this trial was in The Times (London) earlier this week, though it did not mention what you are asking.
I doubt whether this was a transfer from the Wehrmacht to the Waffen-SS.
The more likely scenario is that Bruno D. (born 1926) was called up to the Army in 1944 (when he was 18) but rejected due to his heart troubles. The Waffen-SS then picked up on his rejection and sent him to KL Stutthof, before or after some sort of training.
It is always debatable whether this was voluntary because he really did not have much choice in the matter just like all other conscripts in armies across the world.
....and this would have been in 1944/1945...

bettika

Post by bettika » 26 Jul 2020, 22:37

Helmut0815 wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 20:31

Well, I know that there were lots of interchanges between Waffen-SS and Totenkopf-SS but from Wehrmacht to SS? Was this common practice or is his statement false?

Hello Helmut,
The answer you can find in the book https://www.kz-gedenkstaette-neuengamme ... e497dc68d5 especially in
Stefan Hördler: Wehrmacht and concentration camp system. On the use of Wehrmacht soldiers in the concentration camp guards 1944/45
The focus of the article is the involvement of the Wehrmacht soldiers in guarding the concentration camps in 1944/45: the quantitative extent of their use, their training and discipline, their participation in crimes and their behavior and their effects on the prison conditions of the concentration camp prisoners.
In the last year of the war 40-50% of the camp guards were from the Wehrmacht

Brgds.
Beate

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”