Photos from Johann Niemann (Sobibor) collection

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
itaiv40

Photos from Johann Niemann (Sobibor) collection

Post by itaiv40 » 28 Jan 2020, 18:09

Some of the Niemann photos are out. Looks like Erich Bauer sitting in the group photo with the beer and wine glasses. Any other IDs?

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eu ... story.html
Attachments
imrs-2.php.jpeg
Johann Niemann
imrs-3.php.jpeg
Johann Niemann + Werner Blankenburg
imrs-1.php.jpeg
Karl Pötzinger + Johann Niemann + Siegfried Graetschus (left to right)
imrs.php.jpeg
Johann Niemann (3 from the left)

itaiv40

Re: Photos from Johann Niemann (Sobibor) collection

Post by itaiv40 » 28 Jan 2020, 18:23

In the photo of the men sitting on the canoe, USHMM is identifying the man on the left as Karl Pötzinger and the man on the right as Siegfried Graetschus.

Earldor

Post by Earldor » 28 Jan 2020, 19:27

Does anyone recognize the collar tabs on the man sitting on the far right in the last picture? Which branch and what rank do they seem to denote?

Washington Post article also mentioned that Reichleitner is included in the bar scene. I'm guessing the man in the middle standing without his jacket.

Also, in the first picture (from Berlin) the man on the right, listening to the man in glasses, looks IMHO a bit like the Ukranian guard in this picture, labeled as Libodenko. Image

I know that Libodenko is pictured with Treblinka personnel and that Niemann was mainly in Belzec and Sobibor, but still.

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 28 Jan 2020, 22:14

When is book with the full album avaliable?
"We believe in what we do!" - written in Friedrich Rainer's Guestbook by Odilo Globocnik in April 1943.

Tom3277

Post by Tom3277 » 28 Jan 2020, 22:30

Hi,

Very interesting pictures, thanks.
Earldor wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 19:27
Does anyone recognize the collar tabs on the man sitting on the far right in the last picture? Which branch and what rank do they seem to denote?
Hard to say, looks like a Bezirkszollkommissar or Zollamtmann of the Zollgrenzschutz.

This man with the Goldenes Parteiabzeichen looks a lot like Blankenburg (comparison picture from our book "Globocnik's Men in Italy").

Regards
Attachments
Schermata 2020-01-28 alle 21.26.27.png
Werner Blankenburg
Looking for the Soldbuch of Hptw.d.SchP. Kurt Etowski.

Earldor

Post by Earldor » 28 Jan 2020, 22:52

Tom3277 wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 22:30
Hard to say, looks like a Bezirkszollkommissar or Zollamtmann of the Zollgrenzschutz
Thanks for the answer. In that case, it would seem that this man is a visitor to the camp.

Helmut0815

Post by Helmut0815 » 28 Jan 2020, 23:44

The photograph of Niemann riding on a horse seems to be mirror inverted.

regards

Helmut

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 29 Jan 2020, 00:46

I would say that is definitely Blankenburg.
It doesn't look like Erich Bauer to me.
The photo of [Niemann ?] on horseback is inverted.
The uniform of the man on the right might well be a Sonderdienst uniform, which would fit in.
These photos may well not have been taken at Sobibor camp. The shot of three sitting by the wire fence is definitely NOT a Sobibor camp photo. Not having seen the other images, I think these are from Trawniki and not Sobibor.
Max.

Earldor

Post by Earldor » 29 Jan 2020, 04:36

Max Williams wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 00:46
These photos may well not have been taken at Sobibor camp. The shot of three sitting by the wire fence is definitely NOT a Sobibor camp photo. Not having seen the other images, I think these are from Trawniki and not Sobibor.
Max.
Yes, some of the pictures aren't from Sobibor, but the patio picture is.

As you can see from the WaPo article linked in the first message, the top one is from a trip to Berlin. The horseback picture is from Sobibor. The drinking scene is from Sobibor. The one by the fence/canoe is identified as from a T4 center (According to BBC, Niemann had written Brandenburg behind the pic https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51279900). Although, I suppose in theory that could be a reference to Totenkopfstandarte Brandenburg, although I don't know if Pötzinger belonged to it. Niemann and Graetschus did.

There's a photo in the WaPo article from Belzec, which shows one SS-man and several Trawniki men. If the picture is from early 1942, the SS-man in the picture could be Jirmann, who was one of the men responsible for Hiwi training (Oberhauser and Franz being the other two). But that's pure speculation, as the picture could be from late 1942 as well. I say Jirmann, because the man in my opinion doesn't look like the other two possibilities. Naturally, this is total speculation, and I guess we have to wait for USHMM to do more research on them.

[MODERATOR: This is basically a double post. You may remove this msg.]
Last edited by Earldor on 29 Jan 2020, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

Earldor

Post by Earldor » 29 Jan 2020, 11:06

Max Williams wrote:
Max.

As you can see from the WaPo article linked in the first message, the top one is from a trip to Berlin. The horseback picture is from Sobibor. The drinking scene is from Sobibor. The one by the fence/canoe is identified as from a T4 center (According to BBC, Niemann had written Brandenburg behind the pic https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51279900). Although, I suppose in theory that could be a reference to Totenkopfstandarte Brandenburg, although I don't know if Pötzinger belonged to it. Niemann and Graetschus did.

There's a photo in the WaPo article from Belzec, which shows one SS-man and several Trawniki men. If the picture is from early 1942, the SS-man in the picture could be Jirmann, who was one of the men responsible for Hiwi training at the earliest stage (Oberhauser and Franz being the other two). But that's pure speculation, as the picture could be from late 1942 as well. I say Jirmann, because the man in my opinion doesn't look like the other two possibilities. Naturally, this is total speculation, and I guess we have to wait for USHMM to do more research on them.

Oh, and I'm basing my timing of the pictures on the snow and the fact that Belzec only operated until the end of 1942, and the 1005 operations ended in the spring and summer of 1943, with Niemann being in Sobibor at that stage.

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 29 Jan 2020, 11:55

Niemann (BDC)
Attachments
Niemann-J.jpg
Niemann-J.jpg (77.32 KiB) Viewed 5721 times

Earldor

Post by Earldor » 29 Jan 2020, 13:44

Max Williams wrote:
Max.

There's a photo in the WaPo article from Belzec, which shows one SS-man and several Trawniki men. If the picture is from early 1942, the SS-man in the picture could be Jirmann, who was one of the men responsible for Hiwi training at the earliest stage (Oberhauser and Franz being the other two). But that's pure speculation, as the picture could be from late 1942 as well. I say Jirmann, because the man in my opinion doesn't look like the other two possibilities. Naturally, this is total speculation, and I guess we have to wait for USHMM to do more research on them.

Oh, and I'm basing my timing of the Belzec picture on the snow and the fact that the camp only operated until the end of 1942, and the 1005 operations ended in the spring and summer of 1943, with Niemann being in Sobibor at that stage.

Michal78

Post by Michal78 » 29 Jan 2020, 18:06

Did Blankenburg serve under the Globocnik in Trieste? Above posted photo of SA-Oberführer was taken during the parade in this city.

Michal

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 29 Jan 2020, 18:14

Yes, he was in Trieste attached to Abteilung R as a member of the staff of the Führerkanzlei.
Max.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 29 Jan 2020, 19:12

I'm probably wrong, but the man in the group photo, identified as Karl Pötzinger, looks to me more like this one (Kurt Franz).

~ Mike
Attachments
imrs-1_php2.jpg
imrs-1_php2.jpg (48.91 KiB) Viewed 5481 times

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”